Northern Ireland Football League Season 2024/25

Fresh from their first win of the season against Coleraine, Glenavon hand Ballymena their first win of the season (it's only fair).

Portadown end Linfield's 100% start with a draw at Shamrock Park.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cvgd391w72po

1-1 at the Showgrounds as Coleraine draw with European heroes  Larne

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4gvdn70gpeo

Crusaders score twice in 5 minutes to turn their home match with Carrick on its hhead and win 2-1, and the Glens score the only goal of the game after 2 minutes to see off Jim Magilton to Raith Cliftonville.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c5y37pl5z5xo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/ce31r594y36o

Ballymena beat European heroes Larne 1-0 in the Shanes Hill derby :lol:, Dungannon Swifts beat Glentoran 1-0 for 3 wins in a row, Glenavon and Loughgall draw 2-2 and Portadown win at Carrick, another 1-0.

Coleraine and Linfield was postponed.

Top Linfield P 5 Pts 13, second Crusaders P 4 Pts 10, third on goal difference Cliftonville P 5 pts 10, fourth on goal difference Dungannon Swifts P 6 Pts 10, fifth on goal difference Glentoran P 6 pts 10 and sixth and already out of it Coleraine P 5 Pts 6

Bottom half : seventh on goal difference Ballymena P 6 Pts 6, eighth Portadown P 5 Pts 5, ninth on goal difference Loughgall P 5 Pts 5, tenth Glenavon P 6 Pts 4, eleventh Carrick P 5 Pts 3 and bottom Larne P 2 Pts 1

On 14/09/2024 at 17:25, hatchetman said:

Bad loss today. Didn't see or hear any of it. Thought today and next few games were all winnable. That'll teach me to count my chickens. 

This is the Irish League we're talking about!

Coleraine 3 Carrick 1. Carrick's bad run continues.

Linfield 0 Larne 1. Linfield lose their 100% record * and Larne get their first win.

Loughgall 1 Cliftonville 5. A comprehensive win for Cliftonville, Loughgall ended up with 10 men. Stephen Baxter was full of praise for Jim Magilton on Sportsound.

Crusaders 0 Glenavon 1. Inconsistent Glenavon get their second win as Crues lose their unbeaten recorc.

And Ballymena 1 10 man Glentoran 0

.https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c1wn7l99pn4o

Top Linfield P 6 Pts 13. second on goal difference Cliftonville P 6 Pts 13, third Crusaders P5 Pts 10, fourth on goal difference Dungannon Swifts P 7 Pts 10, fifth on goal difference Glentoran P 7 Pts 10, sixth Coleraine P 6 Pts 9 

Bottom half: Seventh on goal difference Ballymena United P 7 Pts 9, eighth Portadown P 8 Pts 8, ninth Glenavon P7 Pts 7, tenth Loughgall P 6 pts 5, eleventh Larne P 3 Pts 4 and rock bottom Carrick Rangers P 6 Pts 3, who will be very disappointed after all the optimistic pre season chat.

* Linfield had already lost their 100% record to Portadown

Edited by Jacksgranda
typo

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've always found it odd how the LOI has more of a boom and bust culture than the IL. Off the top of my head you have Dundalk, Drogheda, Limerick, Galway, Cork (a few reinventions) and to a lesser extent Sligo, all having difficulties in the last few decades.  My only memory locally would be Omagh Town. (dare I mention Presbyterianism) They have had a higher standard of football for quite some time, than the IL in my opinion. Sugar Daddies can be a curse to football clubs especially at a lower level. I'm glad Dundalk are sorted, and hope it's long term. I'm going to show my age and recall seeing us beat them in the Blaxnit Cup. Not yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, hatchetman said:

I've always found it odd how the LOI has more of a boom and bust culture than the IL. Off the top of my head you have Dundalk, Drogheda, Limerick, Galway, Cork (a few reinventions) and to a lesser extent Sligo, all having difficulties in the last few decades.  My only memory locally would be Omagh Town. (dare I mention Presbyterianism) They have had a higher standard of football for quite some time, than the IL in my opinion. Sugar Daddies can be a curse to football clubs especially at a lower level. I'm glad Dundalk are sorted, and hope it's long term. I'm going to show my age and recall seeing us beat them in the Blaxnit Cup. Not yesterday. 

Drumcondra were another.

In the Irish League, Newry Town/City. Coleraine were in diffs not that long ago.

But, as you say, Cork have nearly had enough teams to start their own league.

57 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Drumcondra were another.

In the Irish League, Newry Town/City. Coleraine were in diffs not that long ago.

But, as you say, Cork have nearly had enough teams to start their own league.

I should have remembered Drumcondra. Before we beat Dundalk we had given Drumcondra a good thrashing. Newry I forgot about. Also Warrenpoint and Portadown. Most clubs have difficulties at some point, my own included, but I think the LOI outdo the IL. Not something to boast about. There's competition for spectators in every country, but GAA is so strong in some Irish counties it must be hard to maintain a core soccer support.

5 minutes ago, hatchetman said:

I should have remembered Drumcondra. Before we beat Dundalk we had given Drumcondra a good thrashing. Newry I forgot about. Also Warrenpoint and Portadown. Most clubs have difficulties at some point, my own included, but I think the LOI outdo the IL. Not something to boast about. There's competition for spectators in every country, but GAA is so strong in some Irish counties it must be hard to maintain a core soccer support.

Aye, Portadown.

I wonder if we have any LoI aficionados on the board to fill us in on that.

Tuesday's games - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cpw5rylrqjxo

Linfield 0 -Cliftonville 0

Glentoran 2 Loughgall 0

Dungannon Swifts 1 Crusaders 0

Glenavon 0 Larne 0

Portadown 2 Coleraine 2. Coleraine were 2 up

Carrick Rangers 1 Ballymena 4

Linfield top on goal difference from Cliftonville with Glentoran third on goal difference from Dungannon Swifts, Ballymena fifth, Coleraine 6th

Carrick still bottom.

Good win yesterday. Can't help feeling we missed a big opportunity in September. October looks tougher. Heading home this week and looking forward to Seaview next Saturday. Larne look menacing as per the last few seasons. What is going on at Carrick?