Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

20 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I remember seeing the Manics at Balloch but I can't mind who the line up was. Oasis maybe? 

I do remember The Zutons supporting REM though. 

Manics did support oasis on at least one tour so would have been that.

20 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I remember seeing the Manics at Balloch but I can't mind who the line up was. Oasis maybe? 

I do remember The Zutons supporting REM though. 

When I saw REM they were supported by Stereolab. Absolute torture listening to them for an hour before the band we went to see came out. 

On 28/07/2024 at 09:24, RH33 said:

They're touring this year £100 a ticket.

Saw them as a support act to Celine Dion at Murrayfield back in 1999. Tickets were no where near that price, mind you probably same for all!  

34 minutes ago, specsaver said:

Saw them as a support act to Celine Dion at Murrayfield back in 1999. Tickets were no where near that price, mind you probably same for all!  

What a bill The Corrs and Celine Dione. If the trams had been available I'd have chucked myself under one on the way.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, specsaver said:

On the price of tickets so far this year,

Foo Fighters @ Villa Park £180.00ea

Manic Street Preachers & Suede @ Edinburgh Castle £59.50ea

And December will be

Paul Heaton (with Zutons as support) @ P&J £35.00ea

The variance in prices scary.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What a bill The Corrs and Celine Dione. If the trams had been available I'd have chucked myself under one on the way.

To be fair, was keeping the wife happy, but Celine Dion was absolutely fantastic.  

1 minute ago, specsaver said:

To be fair, was keeping the wife happy, but Celine Dion was absolutely fantastic.  

I hope she appreciated it. I took my wife to The Damned about 15 years ago, she hasn't asked to go back. Job done!

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I hope she appreciated it. I took my wife to The Damned about 15 years ago, she hasn't asked to go back. Job done!

To be fair also, she reciprocated this year and went to see OMD but she would go back and see them 🙂

Most of the bands mentioned will have made their millions from a huge song/album and then gone 'fuck it, that'll do, I'm rich.'

18 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Most of the bands mentioned will have made their millions from a huge song/album and then gone 'f**k it, that'll do, I'm rich.'

I was going to say Nickelback (who still have Chad Kroeger as a front man), but they played the Utilita in Birmingham as part of a European tour in May, and released an album in 2022.  Yet, they may as well have disbanded fifteen years ago.

ETA: Green Day is probably a better shout in general.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Neutral Milk Hotel released a brilliant album ( In the aeroplane over the sea)which is seen as one of the best albums of the 90s then nowt.  Seems according to wiki the main man in the band had severe mental health issues after it's release and the band broke up.

Just now, dirty dingus said:

Neutral Milk Hotel released a brilliant album ( In the aeroplane over the sea)which is seen as one of the best albums of the 90s then nowt.  Seems according to wiki the main man in the band had severe mental health issues after it's release and the band broke up.

Their most recent news has been that one of them is a wrong un.

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

ETA: Green Day is probably a better shout in general.

Green Day have been touring this year for the 30th anniversary of Dookie! and the 20th anniversary of American Idiot, including a show at Wembley. Since American Idiot they've put out 5 or 6 albums.

How about acts that were everywhere... then disappeared... then reappeared and were everywhere again?

Tina Turner would be the prime example. Huge in the 60s. Completely forgotten by the end of the 70s but launched a comeback and was huge again in the 80s.

6 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

How about acts that were everywhere... then disappeared... then reappeared and were everywhere again?

Tina Turner would be the prime example. Huge in the 60s. Completely forgotten by the end of the 70s but launched a comeback and was huge again in the 80s.

Aye, she's simply The Best.