Rutherglen Glencairn 2024-25

New thread for the new season.

A not too bad result to start the season, same as we got last season, 2-2 away from home. It was good to battle back from behind twice, showed a bit of fight.

It was a cracking game to watch actually, both teams going at each other, meaty tackles, good passing football mixed with long ball when appropriate, bad misses, good saves, good finishes.

I'm looking forward to Gerry's highlights.

Excellent highlights as usual. 👍 I'm not convinced there was any contact for Cumbernauld's penalty. Their second claim was a slip, again no contact, a good call by the referee that time. We should have had at least one penalty, I can't believe the first one wasn't given when McManus is clattered into from behind. The one near the end is less convincing but absolutely more contact than there appeared to be at the penalty that was given. Perhaps the fact that it was deep into stoppage time influenced the referee into not giving it.

On to Wednesday night and Kilbirnie at home.

That was a really good performance by us tonight. We moved the ball sharply and at pace all night, our passing was accurate and we looked a real threat going forward. Jamie McGowan had a great game in goals for Ladeside or it could have been a good few more goals.

We switched off at 2-0 just before half time and gave Kilbirnie some hope with a sloppy own goal in stoppage time, but ten minutes into the second half we'd scored another two and we were comfortable.

Ladeside pulled another back but never really looked like getting back into the game.

Standards set, that's what we're capable of, more of the same please. 👍

Posted (edited)

That was great to watch this afternoon. We were on it right from the start and Kilwinning couldn't handle the pace and our passing game. The early goal set the tone and inside half an hour we were 3-0 up and coasting. The second half could and probably should have seen the score increase to 6 or 7, we hit the post twice and missed some real sitters.

2nd v 1st next Saturday, probably not as big a game as it would be later in the season, but still one to look forward to with two teams who are scoring goals and playing with a lot of confidence.

Edited by glensmad

9 hours ago, rutherglen glencairn said:

Highlights of today's game away to Kilwinning Rangers.

https://youtu.be/FFmCRUuU92o

Excellent quality video.

I couldn't manage the game yesterday. Buffs looked a wee bit soft centred. It's a new team so we are going to have ups and downs. What was your take on the game?

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

Excellent quality video.

I couldn't manage the game yesterday. Buffs looked a wee bit soft centred. It's a new team so we are going to have ups and downs. What was your take on the game?

Without wanting to be disrespectful, as I have a lot of good friends at Kilwinning, I was surprised at how easy the game was for Glencairn. It was over as a contest inside half an hour, and had we not been really wasteful in front of goal in the second half it could have been 6 or 7 or maybe more.

5 hours ago, funky monkey said:

Excellent quality video.

It ended up being a more than comfortable victory for Rutherglen.  All four goals were as a result of really poor defensive errors but as glensmad says, it could have been 8 or 9.  We didn't have anything up front at all until the latter stages, by which time the RG players had relaxed.  Our defence was very nervous and inexperienced. I don't know the Glens players at all but they played as though they had a lot of experience, or at least experience at playing with each other.  I'd be surprised if they weren't one of the favourites for the league.

That said, it wasn't as if RG laid siege to our goal in the first half or anything.   Kilwinning kept trying to play it out from the back which is where the defensive errors happened. Glens were very good at pressing and forced the errors of course, but you could tell we were a scratch team and Rutherglen's players looked as though they had played together for a long time.  Our players weren't on the same wavelength a lot of the time, although we did try to play football and didn't throw in the towel at any stage.  Both teams played a lot of football but Glens were a lot more cohesive and impressive.  They had pace and power whereas we were lightweight.  But I think yesterday was the difference between a team with realistic prospects of being champions (or at the very least promoted) and a team who would, given everything that's gone on in the last 3 years, be pretty happy with being in the top half of the table.

1 hour ago, energyzone said:

All four goals were as a result of really poor defensive errors.....

Including the 35-yard swerving and dipping free kick by Roan Fitzpatrick for the second goal ?

35 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Including the 35-yard swerving and dipping free kick by Roan Fitzpatrick for the second goal ?

I was more talking about the completely needless panic and challenge that brought about the free kick.

16 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I suppose every team could point to a defensive error somewhere in every goal they concede if they micro-analyse it to that level.

It wasn't a misplaced pass or an unfortunate slip though, it was a really bad mix-up between the two central defenders and a needless foul.  No need for micro-analysis.  Best of luck for the rest of the season.

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

Without wanting to be disrespectful, as I have a lot of good friends at Kilwinning, I was surprised at how easy the game was for Glencairn. It was over as a contest inside half an hour, and had we not been really wasteful in front of goal in the second half it could have been 6 or 7 or maybe more.

We are where we are for a variety of reasons, so I'm not going to panic about the result. I think we'll improve as the season progresses, I've faith in the management team.

It's good to be top of the league after four games, but there's a long long way to go. We were up here at this point of last season as well.

Arthurlie can think themselves unlucky today, they had more chances than us but didn't find their shooting boots until the game was pretty much gone, while we were clinical today when the chances came along.

It's a good start, but that's all, and Maybole away on Tuesday night for a 7pm kick off will be a tough trip to negotiate.