Scott McTominay

Seriously, imagine being a lad from Ayrshire or Lancashire and being asked to become an important part of the first team at the Italian club of Diego Maradona.

Despite being very good players, there must be a certain amount of pinching going on at this point.

I actually think it's commendable that Brighton let Gilmour go because he wanted to go to Napoli.

They could have held out for more money, they could have kiboshed the deal after O'Riley got injured but they took the player's wishes into account. Doesn't happen all that often

On 01/09/2024 at 15:26, BFTD said:

Seriously, imagine being a lad from Ayrshire or Lancashire and being asked to become an important part of the first team at the Italian club of Diego Maradona.

Despite being very good players, there must be a certain amount of pinching going on at this point.

That's exactly how I've been thinking about them for the past few days. Incredible stuff.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Pretty sure Lampard gave him his debut. 

Was that not when they had the transfer embargo too? Tin hat on here but with the way Chelsea hardly ever play youth off the bat there's a decent chance he may never have played for them if they weren't under one. I might be getting the timelines mixed up though.

On 01/09/2024 at 15:26, BFTD said:

I doubt he’ll be pinching himself given he’s been at one the biggest clubs in the world for the past 20 odd years.

I just hope that Conte doesn't miss-manage Scott like Jose, Ole and Rangnick did and play him as a number 6.

I watched a lot of Serie A last season. Played in the floating 10 role, McTominay will easily get into double figures.

11 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I just hope that Conte doesn't miss-manage Scott like Jose, Ole and Rangnick did and play him as a number 6.

I watched a lot of Serie A last season. Played in the floating 10 role, McTominay will easily get into double figures.

I listened to Stevie Nicholl (ex Liverpool and Scotland) on the Sounds blog today.

He laughed about jingo like...'playing through the channels.....a high press.....etc.,Easy to say he's out of touch and time but he was basically saying when he was at Liverpool  he (and the squad) were just told...........well not a lot really....believe in your playing partner...make him look good.......etc

Fitba eh?.....eeezy peeezy.

53 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Surely with them signing Gilmour too, McTominay will play further foward.

Lots of competition in that Napoli midfield.

Have to imagine Neres will be fighting for the other spot behind the striker.

Lobotka is a great player tbh, very similar to Gilmour in that role and more experienced, Anguissa is top class but a more defensive midfielder so one to be played alongside a deep playmaker.

So I don't know how Conte sees them fitting in tbh. There will be a fight for places, that's for sure. Napoli aren't even competing in Europe this year so there won't be as much rotation

Screenshot_20240911_181826_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.b8c139a3c4fe42f98b54af38e0248223.jpg

Screenshot_20240911_182707_Chrome.jpg

I've been reading stuff on Twitter and watched that match. The midfield was completely overrun and they were 1-0 down until Parma had goalie sent off. Fans were not happy. From what I've read:

Lobotka is highly rated, Anguissa not so much, but apparently they are not used to and can't play well in a two man midfield, which they think Gilmour and McT can. Or he might change formation. 

Neres, I think, is fighting for right wing spot.

Will be interesting to see what happens. I reckon McT might get in pretty quickly and Gilmour might be more of a longterm plan but I hope not too long as he's too good to be on the bench. 

I watched the first half against Parma and as you say the midfield were poor. Lobotka is similar to Gilmour but if you look at stats from last season Billy was better in most measures. Personally I think Gilmour is a bargain and hopefully won't take long to become a regular. It will be interesting to see if both Gilmour and McTominay can get in the team at the same time.

An absolute bargain. 

Yeah, and that's comparing them across different leagues too. Hopefully Gilmour's confidence will be high after his recent performances, and goal, too. You have to hope if he wanted the move it was because he was promised minutes.

Hope they both smash it and some of the pain of being a Scotland fan can be taken away by also being a Napoli fan!