Freddie Flintoff's Field of Dreams

LIVIFOREVER

Not particularly interested in watching cricket, played it at school for P.E, and it was ok when you were batting and fielding, but boring as f**k to watch when you weren't playing.

Anyway gave this a go, and am on the 2nd episode, has more to it than just cricket. The social element to it is interesting, taking cricket to an area where nobody has any interest in it, and trying to get kids playing it. All sorts of backgrounds, with some kids sleeping rough, one parent families etc, and one or two always in trouble at school, and getting expelled, it is something good for them if it gives them an interest that can help them in life. 

Was a bit sceptical of a wealthy sportsman doing a tv program being only a project for entertainment and viewing figures though, and getting kids together from troubled backgrounds, giving them a purpose that takes them away from the shite in their lives, then dumps them when the next idea for a tv show comes along. Also going to the Council for 200K to do up an old cricket club for them to play and train at, when Councils are shutting swimming pools and other community leisure facilities with budgets being so tight, if it's only a fleeting interest for those organizing and running this thing.

However it seems to have been going for a couple of years now, and i see they're onto a 2nd show touring India, so at least the kids are still together. Would be great if there is something in place to carry this on when Flintoff can't do it anymore (i don't know how committed he is to it yet, and it requires a lot of personal time doing community work for kids, it's a big commitment), and even if the cricket club he's renovating incorporates a youth team to try and get kids to come along to.

As i said i haven't watched it all yet, only a bit into the 2nd episode, but will give it a watch to see how things go, it's quite interesting. 

Oh yeah, it's on bbc i Player.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

During Covid, i manged to convince the wife that Freddie Flintoff was actually called Freddie Flintlock and that Andrew Flintoff and Freddie Flintoff were completely different people. 

f**k Cricket. 

Yeah that was the general response from the kids when they were asked about playing cricket.😂

Things must've changed since i was at school P.E wise, we got all sorts to try, cricket, football, rugby, athletics like running, hurdles, javelin, discus, high jump, archery, tennis. And there was activities day, where you could go hill walking, canoeing, sailing, skiing, golfing, all sorts of stuff.

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Things must've changed since i was at school P.E wise, we got all sorts to try, cricket, football, rugby, athletics like running, hurdles, javelin, discus, high jump, archery, tennis. And there was activities day, where you could go hill walking, canoeing, sailing, skiing, golfing, all sorts of stuff.

Livvy sounds better than I though, in Bathgate we got football on the concrete tennis courts at the back (6 aside) or football on the concrete at the front (11 plus, plus). 

2 minutes ago, Clangers said:

Livvy sounds better than I though, in Bathgate we got football on the concrete tennis courts at the back (6 aside) or football on the concrete at the front (11 plus, plus). 

Was Whitburn academy i went to, a long, long time ago, but aye, it was pretty good with grass pitches, an ash pitch at the side, and  a swimming pool in it too (built a big extension just after i had left school). Most schools in Livingston have good sports facilities too though, i used to go play badminton in a few when i had left school, in my late teens early 20's, the odd game of squash too, they're open to the community after school hours. Liked Craigswood sports centre the best for playing badminton. Whitburn community centre was decent too, paid your membership then it was 10p to use the multi gym for weights training, or the main hall for 5 a sides, and badminton courts on a Sunday.