Afc Wimbledon

igor

I always had a soft spot for Wimbledon in the 90's and even managed to get a shirt once (they were like hen's teeth to find), I was sad to see what happened when they were bought over and moved to Milton Keynes where they became "MK Franchise", they have tumbled down the leagues since and seem to have no significant future in the English game. A failed venture if ever i've seen one.

The great thing to come out of this sad scenario was AFC Wimbledon, a team built by the fans they left behind, a true grassroots club that have demonstrated the benefits of fans participation, they are a model side for the future of the game.

I'm hoping to travel to London next month to the Fan's Stadium to see them play for the first time, it's something i've been keen to do for a while and it's time I got the finger out and did it.

I hope to meet with many supporters, particularly trust members to build bridges with our trust at East Fife. Considering the problems we face at present it will be good to talk to Don's fans who have seen it all before!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they not about 3 leagues below the franchised version now?

Hope they catch up and play them soon. Now thats a game i'd love to be at.....anyway, good luck. I've always believed you can't franchise fitba..

• 1 year later...
Guest Vartex

They got a new goalkeeper called... i think, Rusedski, it seems he played at Wimbledon many times, but with a mask, so no one knew who he is. Until now, so watch out for Greg servin that football as he always did:lol:

Did you ever get there then, igor?

I have a few shares in AFC Wimbledon but have only actaully been a couple of times. They are indeed a model and an inspiration for trusts and fans' groups across the country, a tremendous success story.

Fortunately, their three point deduction hasn't affected anything and they are in the play-offs now. Semi-final at Bromley on Tuesday, the final will be on Saturday if they get through that. Promotion would put them into the Conference South, which would be two levels below MK Dons. (Unless MK Dons get promoted in turn, which is also possible.)

Bugger.

Play-offs in the Ryman League are only one leg affairs, with the higher-placed team getting home advantage. AFC Wimbledon lost 1-0 at Bromley this evening, and so stay in the Ryman League for another year.

Bugger.

Play-offs in the Ryman League are only one leg affairs, with the higher-placed team getting home advantage. AFC Wimbledon lost 1-0 at Bromley this evening, and so stay in the Ryman League for another year.

Damn, I was rooting for them. Didn't know this match was on tonight. Got their programme recently, it pisses all over most First Division progs.

Hi Yoss, i've been there 6 or 7 times, i'd like to manage more games but it's quite an expensive day out for me, travelling across the city with too many pubs en route...

I have an 100% record though, only ever saw them win, I would have went to the play off game but couldn't get a ticket :(

Ex-EF striker Stevie Ferguson is playing for them at the moment, I did an interview with him a few months ago, you can read it HERE

I notice the boss, Dave Anderson has been shown the door, hopefully the next guy that comes in is the one that will take the Wombles back to league football!

Was that the Irishman? My wee sis was telling me he was a bit of a tool when it came to tactics but that he could talk a good game - it'd be a shame if he was the reason they missed out. :( Maybe they should go for a polar opposite in Big Yogi, that'd well and truly piss of SPLwww :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Bugger.

Excellent. Two bob English tossers.

Guest Hansa

People can say what they like about MK Dons but they will soon have a top stadium and currently have a top manager. They'll be in League 1 sooner or later, possibly Championship.

Terry Brown (ex-Aldershot) is the new manager.

General feeling is that this is a very good appointment, think they're pretty pleased. And he's full-time.

People can say what they like about MK Dons but they will soon have a top stadium and currently have a top manager. They'll be in League 1 sooner or later, possibly Championship.

They don't currently have a top manager. Their manager is Martin Allen.

Archived