Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

9 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by people of know who have moved aboard who are very preachy about it.

It's as if somehow I've made a terrible decision by choosing to live in Scotland and that where they live is definitely much better. I don't just mean the day to day lifestyle but they seem to post pictures on various forms of social media of themselves with some lovely scenery as if they're out exploring every weekend. The same people never ventured out the central belt of Scotland

In my experience they're usually trying desperately to convince themselves they haven't made an awful mistake. Post a couple of pictures of Largs and Mallaig and they'll cry their eyes out.

Edited by welshbairn

In my experience they're usually trying desperately to convince themselves they haven't made an awful mistake. 

I don't think in any of the instances i know of that it has been a mistake, but I seriously doubt it's any better. It's an attempt to make it seem much better.

If I wanted to permanently move to USA /NZ/Australia I would have

2 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I don't think in any of the instances i know of that it has been a mistake, but I seriously doubt it's any better. It's an attempt to make it seem much better.

If I wanted to permanently move to USA /NZ/Australia I would have

It's a bit like the Irish labourer borrowing a suit in New York and getting a picture taken leaning on a Cadillac to make his mates back home jealous though. They'll be living the same 9-5 existence that they would have been back home, probably. 

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

It's more than likely because they felt as if they were missing out from seeing other people's Facebook pics living abroad and they want to show how they are now there no matter how happy they are.

I remember working with backpackers who were open to talk about how they were working and living in pretty shite conditions and getting an awful time off their landlords etc but their Facebook pages would all be about living the dream types of posts to impress their friends back home.

Maybe I bump in to the wrong kind of expats when on holiday, but they usually look disappointed when I don't confirm their claims that Britain has been ruined by immigration and show no interest in their despairing attempts to make a living without learning the lingo. 

Scots in general seem to think our country's some kind of shithole. One of the first questions the wife gets asked by strangers is why she moved here, which she answers by pointing at me, and immediately gets the look of sympathy. It's usually because they take one look at me and think "poor woman", right enough, but some of the time it's bound to be because they're pitying her for having to live here.

Nobody in America ever asked me why I was living there, on the other hand. Some even assumed I'd be trying to get US citizenship.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Scots in general seem to think our country's some kind of shithole. One of the first questions the wife gets asked by strangers is why she moved here, which she answers by pointing at me, and immediately gets the look of sympathy. It's usually because they take one look at me and think "poor woman", right enough, but some of the time it's bound to be because they're pitying her for having to live here.

Nobody in America ever asked me why I was living there, on the other hand. Some even assumed I'd be trying to get US citizenship.

Is your wife American?

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Eh? (sorry, lame joke)

It's probably just because she's always accusing me of fucking my uncle when I've annoyed her.

They've just nicked Eh? and Aboot from us anyway. Bet it was a Scot who brought maple trees over there in the first place.