Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

4 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Wankers who leave bags of their dogs shit hanging from trees 

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

That said, I don't actually have a dog so I have to use my own...  

Lie.JPG

Edited by GordonD

People that phone you but don't leave a message. 

People that do this then at a later date claim that they tried to get in touch with you but you didn't get back to them.
Of course not you idiot, you never left a message and I'm not fucking about chasing you.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

BBC 'News' in the morning (both on One and News24). What I'd quite like is to catch up on the pressing issues whilst making / having breakfast, 

You mean you weren't absorbed by the in depth analysis of how that guys children ran into the room whilst he was being interviewed?

My particular favourite question was," can you just explain exactly what happened?"

23 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

You mean you weren't absorbed by the in depth analysis of how that guys children ran into the room whilst he was being interviewed?

My particular favourite question was," can you just explain exactly what happened?"

Ah yes, the guy clearly trying too hard to come across as an 'everyday dad' and not a politician:

Arse.JPG.3f72605687739e048bb4af52df26bbc8.JPG

Also, where'd he get that stupid map, Australia?

Edited by Hedgecutter

29 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ah yes, the guy clearly trying too hard to come across as an 'everyday dad' and not a politician:

Arse.JPG.3f72605687739e048bb4af52df26bbc8.JPG

Also, where'd he get that stupid map, Australia?

I assume that as he lives in Korea, he'll generally be using the map to look at that region so it'll be laid out with Asia more central.

Are all maps like that?  If you buy a map in the USA does it have America in the middle?

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I assume that as he lives in Korea, he'll generally be using the map to look at that region so it'll be laid out with Asia more central.

Are all maps like that?  If you buy a map in the USA does it have America in the middle?

Erm, this is America (the centre of the known universe) you're talking about. Of course it does:

compart_world_physical_na_centered_lg.jp

Far more logical to have the split right down the middle of Asia than down the giant ocean of nothingness, don't you think?

Edited by Hedgecutter

30 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Erm, this is America (the centre of the known universe) you're talking about. Of course it does:

compart_world_physical_na_centered_lg.jp

Far more logical to have the split right down the middle of Asia than down the giant ocean of nothingness, don't you think?

99% of all Americans only see this though*

Capture.JPG

*Share if you agree!

Edited by Boghead ranter

I do not agree.  More likely to be this (a little of Canada at the top as they know of their general existence to poke fun at and a smidgen of Mexico along the border as all the immigrants come from there).

map-us-states.jpg

Hard to pick a favourite from that, but probably...

What country are Kangaroos from?

Eh... I don't know, probably...

Netherlands?

Edited by Hedgecutter

42 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

99% of all Americans only see this though*

Capture.JPG

*Share if you agree!

Was reading a thing recently about a movement to move from the current near-standard Mercator projection on maps - all attempts to render a (near) globe on a 2D surface are going to be flawed; Mercator's problem is that it makescountries nearer the poles appear massively larger than they actually are and those nearer the equator massively smaller.. for example Greenland looks the same size as Africa, whereas in reality it's about 14 times smaller. Here's the real size of Canada - which looks huge in Mercator - transposed onto the real size of Africa: 

Africa-vs-Canada-Actual-Size-2.jpg

Edited by Hillonearth

16 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Mercator's problem is that it makescountries nearer the poles appear massively larger than they actually are and those nearer the equator massively smaller.

This.  

For example, Uganda is 43% the size of Canada.  Look it up.

Edited by Hedgecutter
Put 48% when it should be 43%

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Who the f**k uses a bus these days?

Honestly P&B, they're called Scumwagons for a reason.

Pensioners, scum* and and those that aspire to piss on Richard Beeching's grave.

*Me. Every day, 364 days a year (Christmas just isn't practical). The app is an absolute godsend.

Edited by Hedgecutter

18 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Was reading a thing recently about a movement to move from the current near-standard Mercator projection on maps - all attempts to render a (near) globe on a 2D surface are going to be flawed; Mercator's problem is that it makescountries nearer the poles appear massively larger than they actually are and those nearer the equator massively smaller.. for example Greenland looks the same size as Africa, whereas in reality it's about 14 times smaller. Here's the real size of Canada - which looks huge in Mercator - transposed onto the real size of Africa: 

Africa-vs-Canada-Actual-Size-2.jpg

They did a scene about this on The West Wing:

They carried out a study years ago asking high school age (?) pupils in American to identify where the USA was on a globe. More than half picked Africa. Asked why the picked that one over 90% said because it's the biggest so it has to be America.