Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

There's the Lord Nelson a few minutes away from West St, and that's about your whack there.

At Shields Road I think we just got off and cracked cans outside the station...it's very much "here be dragons" on the map and I'm not even sure there's a pub within reasonable walking distance while alcoholically disadvantaged .

Fair enough. There is (was?) a decent enough pub due south of Shields Rd, but it's a good ten minute walk. And when you're on a tight schedule it's probably not worth it. 

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

What pubs did you go to at West St and Shields Rd? Or did you miss them out?

Obviously Brechins at Govan is a no-brainer and theres a wealth of options in the West End. 

The Lord Nelson at West St.

Shields Road you have a bit of a trek to get to the nearest pub.  Walk down Seaward Street to Paisley Road and I think the Quayside Bar is the first on you hit.  There was an Oyster Bar or something opened up at Shields Rd station that you could buy bottles of beer from, but I don't know if it's still open.

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

What pubs did you go to at West St and Shields Rd? Or did you miss them out?

Obviously Brechins at Govan is a no-brainer and theres a wealth of options in the West End. 

We did the lot, Dows twice.

IIRC West St, The Lord Nelson and Shields Rd, The Quayside Bar.

The Stanley Bar is clearly within a fair walking distance of Shields Road Subway, no idea now why the stop has always just been dinghied on previous Subcrawls. Being in Dow's even once is a full-blown minter effort though. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Being in Dow's even once is a full-blown minter effort though. 

I'm tempted to pop in on my way home now.

Random sports on the telly.

Some tearful country and western on the jukebox.

A Glaswegian Barney Gumble discussing the Suez Crisis with a bewildered French tourist, who is silently regretting leaving Edinburgh for the day.

Or alternatively I might just go straight home👍

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

A Glaswegian Barney Gumble discussing the Suez Crisis with a bewildered French tourist, who is silently regretting leaving Edinburgh for the day.

The loss of The Vale next door is still being felt.

13 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Is the rumour not that Scotrail will be paying for full refit for it to reopen when the never ending building work at Queen St is (finally) completed?

52 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

49 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Don't start me!

5 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Random factoid, the wumman that played Sophia, the oldest Golden Girl, was actually the youngest actress of the 4. 

I knew that for some odd reason!

43 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

If I have to listen to "Daddy. Daddy, look. Daddy look at me" one more time I'm going to lose the nut.

Don't get me wrong I like him and all that but he's relentless.

Can't you go into another room when the milkman arrives?

News channels showing kids opening their exam results for the first time when they've obviously been marked out as being an emotionless straight-A student...

... except when one of the marks turns out to be a B and they go in the huff.   Hahahahaha

Dow's is a real dive, but just too convenient for a pre or post match swift one. The Irish pub round the corner is much nicer, but a bit poncey, so I tend to choose Dow's when using Queens St. 

Central Station it's always The Horseshoe, although it can be a pain the arse trying to get served. 

Edited by Angusfifer

6 hours ago, PWL said:

This. 

My late gran had a terrible habit of pronouncing it with a hard G like you would say 'Margaret'. 

Is the Airdrie pronunciation of Blue Riband, as in the biscuit unique? I know loads of people who pronounce it Bluerie-Band.

There was a police cadet who got called Bluerie-Band Heid, he didn't like it and made people's lives a misery for years when he "graduated".

Edited by Sergeant Wilson