Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

In Aberdeen city toonser speak, this is certainly the case. In Shire teuchter talk however, a buttery is the soft and fluffy variety, whilst asking for a rowie will get you the tougher 'staler' type. Don't get me started on 'softie' when it comes to actual rolls though.

Or don't get you started on 'Rolls' when it comes to actual Softies, you meant.

26 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Well-fired I suspect is a Fife thing and maybe elsewhere, I only see if when I go hame to the parents, and they're the equivalent of a Glesga "crispy" roll. Soft breakfast rolls are a bit shite, I'd rather a bagel than that. 

When I was a boy in Kilmarnock, my morning job, before I got promoted to cleaning out/resetting the living room fire, was to tear across Piersland Park* to Betty's shop and get "the rolls". I was on a permanent mission, dictated by Mrs WRK Senior, to get "Well-fired" rolls, and Betty and Harry were always happy for me to pick my own from the big wooden trays they came on. Quite often, I was there before the delivery, and they were always still warm - even in winter.

(Why am I hearing "The New World"?)

*I've no doubt any Kilmarnock residents will understand that, for a small boy, you could build up some speed coming down the hill from the Walker Avenue side to reach the shop at the bottom of Alloway Avenue.

ETA: Admittedly, My Mother wasn't from Killie. She was a yokel from the willds of Newmilns.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Need to take the thread back from people from all over Scotland being completely wrong about rolls.

For today, undertakers walking in front of a hearse on a busy main road. Get that all the way to f**k.

I thought that only happened in Engerland.

Has it now spread to Falkirk?

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Need to take the thread back from people from all over Scotland being completely wrong about rolls.

For today, undertakers walking in front of a hearse on a busy main road. Get that all the way to f**k.

@Andre Drazen this will be up your street.

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I've learned words on this thread I never know before in regards to rolls.

The Aberdonians are the biggest weirdos in this debate, as expected.

Lehs!

Although I have only learned in the past week about Mince Rolls (Softies) in Dundee, they sound the bollocks!

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Lehs!

Although I have only learned in the past week about Mince Rolls (Softies) in Dundee, they sound the bollocks!

You simply put mince on a roll. It's not that revolutionary but is extremely tasty.

A pie roll is also very good.