Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I think it's possible for Mighty Boosh to be good and Noel Fielding to be unfunny. I choose to see Julian Barratt as the brains behind all the good bits of MB, based on the woeful output that comprises the rest of Fielding's career.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Our national infrastructure as a whole has got about as much resilience as a wet paper bag. Really don't see how that's going to be resolved - or even just kept at the same level of shite in the future. 

It's absolute pie in the sky stuff but I've long dreamt of a Keynesian solution, basically a green new deal where the government would borrow loads of money, raise taxes on the rich and spend it on building and renewing infrastructure, putting millions to work etc.

As I said, pie in the sky stuff.

3 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

A tad soggy at Bowling tbf.

Dalmuir tunnels now flooded as well. (Same at Dalmarnock, so anyone planning on train to Celtic v Killie might want to check their plans).

Month's worth of rain forecast in one day, but agree with the general point that it often doesn't take much to f**k our entire transport system.

Screenshot_20231007_104728_X.thumb.jpg.038bc0bae73cffc927a4d8c592217944.jpg

Yeah, I concede that on this ocassion the weather warning was right! 

As you say my point does stand though!

7 hours ago, RH33 said:

ScotRail seem to pull train services at the hint of bad weather. A day if rain in the west of Scotland in October, nothing to Helensburgh and west or north of Perth already.

Are the trains still running in the civilised parts of the country, though? 

10 hours ago, RH33 said:

ScotRail seem to pull train services at the hint of bad weather. A day if rain in the west of Scotland in October, nothing to Helensburgh and west or north of Perth already.

Following the landslide in Stonehaven they seem to be very risk adverse which I kind of get but pretty sure it was Network rails failings not Scotrail, but it could be Network Rail telling them what lines to run/ not run

Given that there is an East Calder, and a West Calder, there is absolutely no requirement for Mid Calder to retain the "Mid", and it should simply be "Calder"

Likewise with Berwicks. Regardless of which came first, there was no need for it to add a descriptor assuming all subsequent Berwicks did so. Conversely, there are an absurd number of Glasgows in the USA. Morons.

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

Following the landslide in Stonehaven they seem to be very risk adverse which I kind of get but pretty sure it was Network rails failings not Scotrail, but it could be Network Rail telling them what lines to run/ not run

Aye , since Carmont it was very noticeable the amount of blanket speed restrictions/line closures that were thrown down at the slightest hint of heavy rainfall (even if a couple of weeks after that I was allowed to run full speed during a pretty heavy downpour when a landslide washed a whole section of track away less than a minute after I passed it !!) and it is up to NR to suspend train running etc.  ScotRail I'm sure will be doing everything they can to run as many services as allowed. 

3 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Aye , since Carmont it was very noticeable the amount of blanket speed restrictions/line closures that were thrown down at the slightest hint of heavy rainfall (even if a couple of weeks after that I was allowed to run full speed during a pretty heavy downpour when a landslide washed a whole section of track away less than a minute after I passed it !!) and it is up to NR to suspend train running etc.  ScotRail I'm sure will be doing everything they can to run as many services as allowed. 

Feel they really need to spend some serious (probably HS2 levels) cash on upgrades to the network, 15 years of austerity really biting.

Doesn't seem to be any reason to suspend the fife circle, been in the yellow warning all day but pretty normal levels of autumnal rail.

Edited by 101

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

Feel they really need to spend some serious (probably HS2 levels) cash on upgrades to the network, 15 years of austerity really biting.

Doesn't seem to be any reason to suspend the fife circle, been in the yellow warning all day but pretty normal levels of autumnal rail.

Aye the infrastructure is seriously in need of upgrading, Im sure someone told me that NR had something like a 30 year backlog just on lineside foliage clearance alone! Continual rain is kind of alright but it's one off deluges that it really can't cope with so I guess maybe there's some concerns around the fife circle as there are some particularly tricky sections around there . ( tbf any excuse to limit the movements in or out of fife are probably encouraged 😉)

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The times when you feel you have to stretch your neck muscles in a certain way multiple times in an hour.

I think you should get that checked out., as it's not a common complaint unless you're 85 or older tbh. 

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

I think you should get that checked out., as it's not a common complaint unless you're 85 or older tbh. 

Ah, shit. Just feels like it needs a stretch every so often, otherwise I'd be firing my head around like D'Lo Brown.

10 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Americans pronouncing mirror annoys me more than it should, mir was a fucking space station.

Oh, absolutely this. Whenever they refer to a Mir on the wall I expect to see a Revell plastic model hanging there.