Any Prince Fans Out There?

Best bit by miles and one of the greatest things I've ever seen was the (supposedly) unplanned 3rd encore... the lights were on and people were streaming out of the place, and he ran back to the stage to play some songs (Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Beret and Sometimes It Snows In April) solo with guitar.

I am now as jelous as all Hell that I can't make it down as these 3 songs are right up there amongst may favourites of his. It must have been absolutely brilliant.

The only time I've seen him was at the SECC when he was only playing 'symbol' stuff and although it was still great, it is Prince after all, it kind of pales into insignificance when he's doing stuff like this in these shows.

Curses.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am now as jelous as all Hell that I can't make it down as these 3 songs are right up there amongst may favourites of his. It must have been absolutely brilliant.

The only time I've seen him was at the SECC when he was only playing 'symbol' stuff and although it was still great, it is Prince after all, it kind of pales into insignificance when he's doing stuff like this in these shows.

Curses.

If I could have picked 3 songs to see him play "intimately" like that, it would almost certainly have been those 3.

The other thing about him for the whole night was you could see he was loving the whole thing.

I really wish I could see it all again!

BA BUMP

How was it then guys? From reading the setlists and some reviews it sounds like Friday wasn't as good but Saturday was awesome, what did you think?

I really hate to say it, but Friday was terrible. THe sound was rank, the set was poor (U've got the look fer chrisakes), and even Purple Rain as an encore was a disappointment.

I think given that he's doing 21 gigs there were bound to be some lesser nights. Unfortunately, Friday was one of them.

Having said all that, the wee man was his usual energetic, attitude filled bundle of serious talent. Just a shame that the sound engineer was asleep. :(

I really hate to say it, but Friday was terrible. THe sound was rank, the set was poor (U've got the look fer chrisakes), and even Purple Rain as an encore was a disappointment.

I think given that he's doing 21 gigs there were bound to be some lesser nights. Unfortunately, Friday was one of them.

Having said all that, the wee man was his usual energetic, attitude filled bundle of serious talent. Just a shame that the sound engineer was asleep. :(

Damn, that's a shame. I did think the setlist didn't look as good (although it included some things not there on the Wednesday that I'd have liked to hear) and people seemed to be complaining about the sound.

Where were your seats? We were in block 112 row U and the sound was fine, were you high up?

Damn, that's a shame. I did think the setlist didn't look as good (although it included some things not there on the Wednesday that I'd have liked to hear) and people seemed to be complaining about the sound.

Where were your seats? We were in block 112 row U and the sound was fine, were you high up?

:o Block 112 row Q.

So no. I'm going to try and get a ticket for another night. It was clear (and therefore bloody frustrating) that he was on great form as an individual. Oh aye, and that tenor sax player is a God. I would suck his cock so long as he accompanied me by playing any number of Charlie Parker covers. :D

:o Block 112 row Q.

So no. I'm going to try and get a ticket for another night. It was clear (and therefore bloody frustrating) that he was on great form as an individual. Oh aye, and that tenor sax player is a God. I would suck his cock so long as he accompanied me by playing any number of Charlie Parker covers. :D

:lol:

Maceo Parker? He was one of the JB's, he's a total legend. I missed him playing with his own band in Oran Mor in Glasgow which would have been fantastic.

I looked at tickets for the other nights but it seemed to only be the top tier that were available. He should just bin the symbol stage and get his arse up to the Barrowlands!

I am glad PF was of the same opinion as me regarding Friday's gig.I felt he was amazing "when" on stage but that he wasn't on long enough and the set list wasn't what I expected.I thought he started off with too slow a song to get everyone interested(Should have started with Let's Go Crazy imo) and I can only remember one Sign of the Times track being played(U Got the Look)-Didn't stay for the "unplanned " encore after the lights came back up again as had to get back for the tube to West London and having watched the constant messages around the venue ad boards about leaving plenty of time to get home in time, didn't want to find myself in Greenwich that late on Friday night..Still glad I went to se him though and concur totally about Maceo Parker-Fantastic sax playing from him.

I am glad PF was of the same opinion as me regarding Friday's gig.I felt he was amazing "when" on stage but that he wasn't on long enough and the set list wasn't what I expected.I thought he started off with too slow a song to get everyone interested(Should have started with Let's Go Crazy imo) and I can only remember one Sign of the Times track being played(U Got the Look)-Didn't stay for the "unplanned " encore after the lights came back up again as had to get back for the tube to West London and having watched the constant messages around the venue ad boards about leaving plenty of time to get home in time, didn't want to find myself in Greenwich that late on Friday night..Still glad I went to se him though and concur totally about Maceo Parker-Fantastic sax playing from him.

I couldn't believe when I saw the setlist to be honest - for our gig he started with Purple Rain which was spinetingling. OK it's still slow, but it had the entire arena going nuts! He went from that into Girls and Boys, another classic. When I saw that he started with Satisfied on the Friday I was amazed.

From reading it he didn't do the solo bit either (with Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Beret and Sometimes it Snows In April, one of the gig higlights of my life), although did it on the Saturday. I like the idea of him changing the set each night but to drop those bits seemed bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tomsk The Beano

Was there last Tuesday night and the set list was as follows:

Musicology

Cream

U Got The Look

Shhh

Take Me With U

Guitar

Somewhere Here On Earth

Forever In My Life

If I Was Your Girlfriend

Black Sweat

Kiss

Purple Rain

Alphabet Street

I Feel For You

Controversy/Housequake

Let's Go Crazy

Crazy

Nothing Compares 2 U

Purple Rain was the end of the main set and he then did 3 encores and then the wait for 20 miniutes afore the last 2 numbers.

I've been keeping tabs on the setlists, he's changed it around every night. He didn't play 1999, Alphabet Street, Forever In My Life when I was there. Really tempted to head down to another one, and he's been playing at some of the aftershow parties as well.

• 8 years later...

Archived