P&b Running Club

Got London marathon on Sunday, got an email a few weeks ago asking me to confirm my place which I thought was a wind up so will be a laugh as training hasn't been the best. Will use this as a reminder to get my arse back into gear for the GNR in September and go for a big PB then.

7 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Got London marathon on Sunday, got an email a few weeks ago asking me to confirm my place which I thought was a wind up so will be a laugh as training hasn't been the best. Will use this as a reminder to get my arse back into gear for the GNR in September and go for a big PB then.

Good luck! Crowd is fantastic in London. Try not to get too frustrated at the amount of runners you’re having to dodge round. PB is unlikely for that reason alone unless you put your estimated time about half an hour quicker than you’re really aiming for.

On 06/04/2024 at 22:45, Central Belt Caley said:

Ran my fastest 5k since 2021 this morning at Parkrun, even managed to keep all 5 km splits under 5min/km

Went round in 23:10 this morning another 33 seconds off since 2 weeks ago, nice to see some results! 

Edited by Central Belt Caley

Went for my second run last night and did 5km in 30:06. Disappointed not to do under 30, I went out again this afternoon and managed 25:29.

Need to work on pacing myself and think I’m going to go for a longer distance next time but take it easy.

Running again pain free. Thankfully. 

I visited a physio, she moved the knee into some uncomfortable positions and couldn't find anything wrong at all. She thinks it was a case of too much too quickly and the impact of the roads causing the pain. She recommended some insoles and they have been a game changer. 

I still get a little pain the following day after a run but I've stopped running on back to back days and I've started going to the gym between run days.

PR in the 15k last week 1h 20mins which I was pleased with considering I've only been back to it for a few weeks. I just want to focus on being out and enjoying it for the time being though. Times/distances will come naturally.

Edited by Mallo_Madrid

On 17/04/2024 at 14:30, KD1711 said:

How did you (and anyone else on here doing London) get on? Someone from my running club was under three hours and in the top 200 women!

On 26/04/2024 at 10:44, Stu said:

How did you (and anyone else on here doing London) get on? Someone from my running club was under three hours and in the top 200 women!

I did London. Absolutely brilliant experience. The crowds were incredible, especially at the start, Cutty Sark, Tower Bridge and the finish. It was like running through a packed football stadium. Didn't feel as positive 15 miles in as I do looking back at it but that's the marathon for you. Would highly recommend London to anyone who fancies it and can get a place - the ballot entries for next year are a joke!!

Pleased with 3:28:19, a three minute PB on a tough day with a reasonable breeze. It was also jam-packed pretty much all the way which meant a lot of dodging around, adding on a fair bit of distance.

Bought a set of Shokz Open Run Pro’s after seeing them mentioned on here a while back. Can’t remember who recommended them. Out last night after a few weeks off and used them for the first time. Very impressed by them,  possibly the most comfortable headphones/earphones I’ve ever worn, and the sound quality is pretty decent too.

54 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Bought a set of Shokz Open Run Pro’s after seeing them mentioned on here a while back. Can’t remember who recommended them. Out last night after a few weeks off and used them for the first time. Very impressed by them,  possibly the most comfortable headphones/earphones I’ve ever worn, and the sound quality is pretty decent too.

I’ve had mine for a few months now and love them. Think that they don’t go into your ear helps massively with the comfort aspect. 

Going to the gym and doing a bit of strength training whilst injured has definitely improved me as a runner. Really enjoying doing both at the moment.

I've had PR in the 15k which I posted above. Since then I've done a 10k in 49:24 and a windy 5k in 22:37 both of which are PRs. I'll take those considering I'm 39 this year.

I've always done a little running during football off season, but this is the first time I've taken it a bit more seriously and I'm really enjoying it. Quite excited to see where it takes me if I continue to be consistent with it.

I really need to build in some slow runs, a concept I struggle with a little bit.

11 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I’ve had mine for a few months now and love them. Think that they don’t go into your ear helps massively with the comfort aspect. 

I'm going to look into a pair of these. I wear over ear headphones to run but they're soaking in sweat when I'm finished, which will get worse as the weather warms.

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Yeah, definitely helps. I expected they would feel like they were about to fall off, but not in the slightest. Will take a bit of getting used to hearing everything around me while running, but that will come in handy when I am up on the forest tracks, especially with the amount of mountain bikers who rattle about there at high speed.

5 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

I really need to build in some slow runs, a concept I struggle with a little bit.

I'm going to look into a pair of these. I wear over ear headphones to run but they're soaking in sweat when I'm finished, which will get worse as the weather warms.

Slow (or easy) runs are what I struggled with to begin with too. Once you get the rhythm it’s a piece of piss 

My Openruns have been superb, I’m a sweaty betty when doing any form of exercise and they’ve stood up well whereas other cheap headphones I’ve had have ended up gubbed 

On 01/05/2024 at 14:27, Central Belt Caley said:

Slow (or easy) runs are what I struggled with to begin with too. Once you get the rhythm it’s a piece of piss 

My Openruns have been superb, I’m a sweaty betty when doing any form of exercise and they’ve stood up well whereas other cheap headphones I’ve had have ended up gubbed 

I know it's against what you are supposed to do but i have never done a easy/slow run, i might just go for a cycle or a swim as i can never get my heart rate very high doing them.

Nice wee parkrun today with the added bonus of it not blowing a hoolie for a change.

2 hours ago, keptie said:

I know it's against what you are supposed to do but i have never done a easy/slow run, i might just go for a cycle or a swim as i can never get my heart rate very high doing them.

Nice wee parkrun today with the added bonus of it not blowing a hoolie for a change.

Tbf that’s how I used to run when I first started running being young and a decent weight meant I never really had injuries. I’ve defo improved as a runner though since I’ve incorporated easy runs and dedicated speed workouts etc 

9 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Tbf that’s how I used to run when I first started running being young and a decent weight meant I never really had injuries. I’ve defo improved as a runner though since I’ve incorporated easy runs and dedicated speed workouts etc 

Might do a easy run today and see if i can keep it easy 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2024 at 13:46, Central Belt Caley said:

Anyone else doing any of the EMF races in a few weeks? I’m doing the half, hoping for around the 1:45 ish mark. Bloody early start though 

Came onto post this. 

Im in the marathon next Sunday. The half marathon is a really early start, I don’t know why they have it so that the half effectively finishes before the marathon starts. Surely you could have one start at 9ish? Not sure. 

Anyway I hate this bit of tapering. I’ve done 2 marathons but neither have really gone to plan properly so I lack confidence in my body on the day. I feel much better prepared this time but who knows. I’m hoping to get below 3:30 if all goes well. 

53 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Came onto post this. 

Im in the marathon next Sunday. The half marathon is a really early start, I don’t know why they have it so that the half effectively finishes before the marathon starts. Surely you could have one start at 9ish? Not sure. 

Anyway I hate this bit of tapering. I’ve done 2 marathons but neither have really gone to plan properly so I lack confidence in my body on the day. I feel much better prepared this time but who knows. I’m hoping to get below 3:30 if all goes well. 

I’m not totally sure but I think it’s because they share the same first 10 miles or so, so they want all the slower half runners who will be turning back for the finish out of the way of the fastest full Mara runners who’ll probably be going round in 2:10-2:15 ish

I’ve only got a short taper but even dropping 20% off the distance this week has felt weird, good luck when it comes! 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I’m not totally sure but I think it’s because they share the same first 10 miles or so, so they want all the slower half runners who will be turning back for the finish out of the way of the fastest full Mara runners who’ll probably be going round in 2:10-2:15 ish

I’ve only got a short taper but even dropping 20% off the distance this week has felt weird, good luck when it comes! 

Thank you, and you too. Ultimately the time I do it in doesn’t really matter. The benefits of the training period go way beyond that, or at least that’s what I’m trying to convince myself 🙂

That does make sense re the start times, I retract my criticism. 

I had a fucking horrendous run yesterday. I love a long run on a Friday when I've finished work but yesterday's was a shamble almost from the off.

Went from needing the loo at the start to having sun cream in my eyes which meant I could barely see. I was sweating heavily after a mile or so (it was warm but not that warm) and half way through I took a gel, which I normally only do during marathon training. That seemed to make me worse and eventually I stopped for a few minutes at traffic lights (even though I could easily cross the road). Kept going for a bit before stopping for a few more minutes, stupidly decided to keep going and a mixture of jogging and walking got me to Aldi so I could get some water. Of course, it's Aldi so the smallest individual bottle I could buy was enough for a family of four. Downed half of it immediately and then probably walked more than jogged the few miles back to my car. Then unwell for an hour or so after I got home - probably no more than runner's belly and guessing having so much water then trying to run probably didn't help my insides!

Hopefully it's just a one off - giving blood on Wednesday probably didn't help but I've done that before and run a few days later without too many issues.

Thought I'd share this as we have a habit of only sharing good running experiences. Shite days (quite literally after I got home...) can happen to us all.