P&b Running Club

1 hour ago, deadasdillinger said:

Screenshot_20240524_172556_Strava.thumb.jpg.bd0f9d65a87fd7f076b9e5f60cbdebfe.jpg

Came. Saw. Conquered. Up the road!

Cheers for all the support you lovely folks.

Amazing! It's National Doughnut Week, I think you can celebrate that given how many calories you've burned through.

Kirkcudbright Half Marathon -1:35:40 and some stunning views on the route (which has been changed from a few years ago).

Scallops and chips by the harbour afterwards. Happy days!

Edinburgh half today, was absolutely soaking before I even started but managed my goal of sub 1:50!

Hit a mini wall at 18k and had to have a slow walk/jog for a bit but after we turned for home I had more energy than ever and bounded over the line :lol: 8am is a horrible start time, its only 10 to 4 and I feel like I should be getting ready for bed! 

15 minutes ago, keptie said:

Well done. Done that a few years ago but don't remember starting at 8am, any reason for that? 

Cheers, think it’s because the marathon starts at 10 and they want everyone doing the half out the road cause the routes share the first however many miles. Might’ve changed in the last few years though 

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Edinburgh half today, was absolutely soaking before I even started but managed my goal of sub 1:50!

Hit a mini wall at 18k and had to have a slow walk/jog for a bit but after we turned for home I had more energy than ever and bounded over the line :lol: 8am is a horrible start time, its only 10 to 4 and I feel like I should be getting ready for bed! 

Well done mate. Thats a great effort. 

I did the marathon in 3:31 which wasn’t quite  the plan but pleased nonetheless. 

Enjoy your night and celebrations. 

50 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well done mate. Thats a great effort. 

I did the marathon in 3:31 which wasn’t quite  the plan but pleased nonetheless. 

Enjoy your night and celebrations. 

Cheers mate! That’s a great effort and close to what you were hoping (IIRC). Not sure if the weather had eased up when the full Mara started but getting down into Portobello was brutal this morning. Sideways rain and battered off the wind was a good laugh :lol:

My celebrations are lying on the couch and eating a pizza big enough to feed 4, have a good night whatever you get upto! 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Cheers mate! That’s a great effort and close to what you were hoping (IIRC). Not sure if the weather had eased up when the full Mara started but getting down into Portobello was brutal this morning. Sideways rain and battered off the wind was a good laugh :lol:

My celebrations are lying on the couch and eating a pizza big enough to feed 4, have a good night whatever you get upto! 

Start line and first few miles were brutal rain (got pretty cold at the start just waiting but was fine really). After that sun tried to come out around half way then went grey again. No complaints from me on that front tbh. Although it absolutely tipped it down at the finish which wasn’t much fun. 

Count me in on celebrating with pizza and a couple of beers at home and bed very, very soon :lol:

Posted (edited)

At what point should I be introducing gels or the likes on my long runs?

I ran a half marathon on Sunday, just locally. Sub 2 hours, which I was fairly pleased with for my first go at one. I didn't take any fluids or carbs out with me though, should I have? Legs felt pretty good but I was just absolutely knackered around 18k and it became difficult towards the end.

Edited by Mallo_Madrid

7 minutes ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

At what point should I be introducing gels or the likes on my long runs?

I ran a half marathon on Sunday, just locally. Sub 2 hours, which I was fairly pleased with for my first go at one. I didn't take any fluids or carbs out with me though, should I have? Legs felt pretty good but I was just absolutely knackered around 18k and it became difficult towards the end.

The rule of thumb I was told is if you’re going to be out for longer than 90 minutes you should look to have some fluids/carbs. As your body roughly stores enough energy for 90 minutes of exercise. 

It’s something I struggle with as gels make my stomach go wild not long after I take them. During the Edinburgh half on Sunday I had a 500ml of Lucozade in my vest and that kept me going for the most part. 

7 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

The rule of thumb I was told is if you’re going to be out for longer than 90 minutes you should look to have some fluids/carbs. As your body roughly stores enough energy for 90 minutes of exercise. 

It’s something I struggle with as gels make my stomach go wild not long after I take them. During the Edinburgh half on Sunday I had a 500ml of Lucozade in my vest and that kept me going for the most part. 

I will bear that in mind. 90 minutes roughly coincides where it started getting tough on Sunday so that does add up.

I'll need to have a look at buying a vest. Wont be long until I'm the epitome of all the gear no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my running gait analysed on Saturday at Chivers Sports in Carlisle.

What a great service. There's no wonder I get a bit of knee pain. There's quite a bit of foot supination on my right side and my current shoe isn't supportive for that at all. To make it worse I had be using insoles (recommended by a physio) that pushed my foot out even further.

He had me try on about 8 different trainers and the most supportive and I have to say comfiest were a pair of Hoka Clifton 9s. I naively always thought Hoka's were a bit of a gimmicky shoe. Horrible bright green colour right enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watch packed in last week, just before I went on holiday. Garmin Forerunner 55, I think. Want something that I will use only for running, just need it to judge distance, pace and time. Am I safe just buying the same again and hoping to get another 6 or so years from it or is there another(presumably Garmin) model that would suit my needs better?

Anyone doing the Glasgow half marathon this year? Just noticed I’ll be in Scotland at the time, and as it’s a fortnight before I am due to do the Luzern marathon I might enter that as a training run. Done the 10k a few times a long time ago, I assume it’s fairly similar in terms of organisation?