P&b Running Club

On 05/08/2024 at 20:21, Ross. said:

Watch packed in last week, just before I went on holiday. Garmin Forerunner 55, I think. Want something that I will use only for running, just need it to judge distance, pace and time. Am I safe just buying the same again and hoping to get another 6 or so years from it or is there another(presumably Garmin) model that would suit my needs better?

Garmin F 55 is a decent price and probably getting cheaper. I have one which is also getting a bit dodgy occasionally but it has done a good few years as well and i would be ok with getting another one as it has everything and more that i really need. 

I've maybe ran about 4 5ks the past 2 months, I was about 3 a week prior to that. All because of the shitey, b*****ding wind that hasn't shifted all summer. Being right on the shore of the Clyde probably doesnt help

I just cant be arsed running if its over 8mph. Puts me right off as it gives you zero chance of getting a PB. A pointless endeavour.

9 minutes ago, keptie said:

Garmin F 55 is a decent price and probably getting cheaper. I have one which is also getting a bit dodgy occasionally but it has done a good few years as well and i would be ok with getting another one as it has everything and more that i really need. 

Turned out the old was was a 735X, which was discontinued a couple of years ago. Got a 55 last week, only used it the once so far thanks to the heat here right now making it far too hot for me to run outside, but looks like it will do exactly what I need.

19 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I've maybe ran about 4 5ks the past 2 months, I was about 3 a week prior to that. All because of the shitey, b*****ding wind that hasn't shifted all summer. Being right on the shore of the Clyde probably doesnt help

I just cant be arsed running if its over 8mph. Puts me right off as it gives you zero chance of getting a PB. A pointless endeavour.

Been like that the other side of the country as well never known it so windy as often in the summer. Treadmill option?

14 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Turned out the old was was a 735X, which was discontinued a couple of years ago. Got a 55 last week, only used it the once so far thanks to the heat here right now making it far too hot for me to run outside, but looks like it will do exactly what I need.

How hot? I struggle in 20 degree's C

3 minutes ago, keptie said:

Been like that the other side of the country as well never known it so windy as often in the summer. Treadmill option?

How hot? I struggle in 20 degree's C

Currently 32 through the day, low of about 20 at 5/6am. Been like that the last week. Expected to drop a bit in the next week, thank f**k. Just been hammering out the miles on the cross trainer downstairs with a couple of fans blowing full pelt on me.

20 hours ago, Ross. said:

Anyone doing the Glasgow half marathon this year? Just noticed I’ll be in Scotland at the time, and as it’s a fortnight before I am due to do the Luzern marathon I might enter that as a training run. Done the 10k a few times a long time ago, I assume it’s fairly similar in terms of organisation?

I am. How's your training going?

I'm aiming for 1h 50mins but I really need to step up my training in the coming weeks.

52 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

I am. How's your training going?

I'm aiming for 1h 50mins but I really need to step up my training in the coming weeks.

HM times have been between 2:03 and 2:08 fairly consistently, but that’s me training at my marathon pace. 10 years and 10kg ago I was in and around the time you are targeting, but probably beyond me now even if I pushed myself a bit. Last few weeks I haven’t managed to get out running, was in Montenegro for a week on holiday and since getting back it’s just been far too hot. Been making sure I get the time in on the cross trainer to keep me ticking over, but it’s not quite the same.

Not sure yet if I will register for Glasgow, due to get a train to London fairly early the following morning, still trying to decide if I will be able to manage.

Done the Scottish 10k in Musselburgh this morning, managed round in just under 46 minutes (a new Pb) so very happy with that! 

First 5k was good on the way out, was 9 seconds behind on pacing but had been holding back slightly. Turned round at halfway and got hit with a massive headwind :lol: The 2nd 5k was a proper fight but stuck in and got there in the end

• 3 weeks later...

Great North Run completed today. Awful rain on start line and for first 3-4 miles, cleared after that. Horrendous race to run in though, just far too many people. Managed just under 2hrs (1:59:41) but wasted so much energy ducking in and out trying to get past people. 

10 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Great North Run completed today. Awful rain on start line and for first 3-4 miles, cleared after that. Horrendous race to run in though, just far too many people. Managed just under 2hrs (1:59:41) but wasted so much energy ducking in and out trying to get past people. 

I watched a bit of it yesterday and did think it looked far too busy. Was considering doing it next year but that’s put me off 

Starting to up my mileage again, Luzern marathon is in 7 weeks. Out yesterday and managed 20km, felt tough towards the end but probably down to a heavy lunch an hour or two before running. Thankfully the weather has started cooling down again here, was worried the heat would last into October and I’d be completely f**ked for my longer runs. Looks like I won’t have that excuse!

On 08/09/2024 at 22:29, 10menwent2mow said:

Well done.

I was on driving / helping / spectating duty.  Trust me, the weather was far worse for spectators than runners!

On 09/09/2024 at 08:40, Central Belt Caley said:

I watched a bit of it yesterday and did think it looked far too busy. Was considering doing it next year but that’s put me off 

We didn't help ourselves. Ran with my 2 cousins and chris and I were aiming for 2hrs but we wanted to do the first bit over the Tyne bridge with my other cousin who did 2hrs30 so we dropped back from our original start wave to go with him. If we'd been in our proper start position it would've been fine. 

We were 1hr15 on the start line.

Edited by 10menwent2mow

image.thumb.png.c543585c1f49880e7504956c823bc6d8.png

Temperature has finally dropped a bit, about 14 when I went out and  5 or 6 less when I got back. 6 weeks to go until the marathon, this is the longest run I have ever done and the longest I will do until then. Misjudged the distance a little, expected it to be around 28km, and the last few k was tough but doable and with a little tweaking on my fueling I think I can comfortably do another 4 or 5km at that pace, then hope adrenaline and the crowd carry me through to the end.

Probably be saying something very different tomorrow morning mind you.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the kelpies half marathon today. Was a really good event, first one I believe. Started and finished at the kelpies and crossing the Clackmannanshire bridge then Kincardine. 

Probably went better than expected as training been no better than ok and not been in an amazing headspace but 1 hr 42 was a time I’m pretty chuffed with. 

43 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Did the kelpies half marathon today. Was a really good event, first one I believe. Started and finished at the kelpies and crossing the Clackmannanshire bridge then Kincardine. 

Probably went better than expected as training been no better than ok and not been in an amazing headspace but 1 hr 42 was a time I’m pretty chuffed with. 

Superb mate well done! A few pals done it and all came in well under 21km on their watches, was that the same for you? 

25 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Superb mate well done! A few pals done it and all came in well under 21km on their watches, was that the same for you? 

Eh aye my watch is in miles but came in at 12.98 miles I think. Hope they didn’t f**k it up!