P&b Running Club

Aye immense. Goes around Arthurs Seat. First 2-3Km up hill. First 1Km looks the worst. Easy run home though

That sounds tough, but good for a decent time IMO as you have uphill at the start when you are fresh and then downhill for the back half when you are tired.

Yeah exactly - the usual first and last place times are 15 - 17 mins and 40 - 50 mins or so respectively. It is truly for everyone!

Victoria Park for me yesterday morning. Good conditions, but my new compression top was a nightmare - just too tight lol! Still will be good for the gym if nothing else! Got round in 18 mins 31 secs - 12 secs outside pb.

1 hour run this morning and covered 14.55km in pretty good conditions. Looking forward to Jantastic as it will get me out training in crap weather, which is not a strength of mine!

Ok, I maybe being thick (yes, it has been known) - you quite often run exactly an hour. How do you facilitate this? Do you have a route that you know takes you an hour, and you can pace yourself really well? Or do you just run for an hour then a mate comes and picks you up from whereever you are, lol?

Ok, I maybe being thick (yes, it has been known) - you quite often run exactly an hour. How do you facilitate this? Do you have a route that you know takes you an hour, and you can pace yourself really well? Or do you just run for an hour then a mate comes and picks you up from whereever you are, lol?

I know my local area really well and know roughly how long it takes to get from place to place. For example if I have about 8 mins 30 secs left of the run and am 2 km away from home then I will start to head back. This has gotten easier since I got a Garmin watch as I now know the distance I have covered. I run similar routes as well, although I take different turn offs each time to mix it up, as you can see from the below link.

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/IainLittler

Trip to the sports podiatrist yesterday. Now need to pay £130 to get a bit of plastic to stick in my shoes to help my gimpy feet / knees. Who'd have thought running could be such an expensive hobby?

Ouch, that is bad times mate. Hope the plastic support helps.

Hi guys, thought about taking up running as a kinda New Year resolution. I know many people don't stick at it, but I have my reasons to get started and hopefully you guys can help me out.

One of my friends committed suicide recently and I feel I would like to do a run in order to raise funds for a suicide prevention charity.

Today, I walked from ASDA Toryglen to Sauchiehall Street and back again. I think it's about 6 miles. I guess it's a start.

The problem I tend to have is that I can walk long distances fine, I'm ok on the cycle machine at the gym, but I find running hard and tire very quickly.

Any advice on getting started and half marathons or 10ks (unless they are the same thing) I can sign up to in summer to get me going?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, thought about taking up running as a kinda New Year resolution. I know many people don't stick at it, but I have my reasons to get started and hopefully you guys can help me out.

One of my friends committed suicide recently and I feel I would like to do a run in order to raise funds for a suicide prevention charity.

Today, I walked from ASDA Toryglen to Sauchiehall Street and back again. I think it's about 6 miles. I guess it's a start.

The problem I tend to have is that I can walk long distances fine, I'm ok on the cycle machine at the gym, but I find running hard and tire very quickly.

Any advice on getting started and half marathons or 10ks (unless they are the same thing) I can sign up to in summer to get me going?

Thanks in advance.

This is a good place to start. http://www.c25k.com/

If you are just starting running then you should be looking at 5km as you first big target and work your way up from there (if you want to - nothing wrong with being a 5k runner and indeed it is my favourite distance). Parkrun would be a good first event to do as it is very friendly and runs every Saturday morning at 9.30am. There are locations throughout Scotland as you can see from this link. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

When you are ready to do your big event then the place to go to find race details is here:- http://scottishrunningguide.com/race_listings.php

Finally, a half marathon is 21.0975km - so over twice the distance of a 10k. There are plenty of 10km and half marathon races in Scotland and these can be found at the last link above.

Edited by BishyTON

Trip to the sports podiatrist yesterday. Now need to pay £130 to get a bit of plastic to stick in my shoes to help my gimpy feet / knees. Who'd have thought running could be such an expensive hobby?

If it makes you feel any better, I've recently gone through the same. Only started running with them in a week ago so a bit early to be posting results, but I haven't fallen apart yet. It's for best!

Thanks in advance.

Quite a few folk on here have used the Coach to 5k training plan to get them started/to get back into running. Might be worth a look here as well as loads of other sites.

Parkrun do weekly free 5k runs every Saturday morning. Think there are a few in Glasgow now, but others here will be better placed to help you on that. You just need to register online and pop along with your printed barcode. I've been along to the Edinburgh one and really enjoyed it.

Ease yourself in. Depending on how you find things to start with, signing up for a 10k might be an idea to provide extra motivation (half marathon's 21k), but it sounds like you've plenty. Good luck :)

Finally, a half marathon is 21.0975km - so over twice the distance of a 10k. There are plenty of 10km and half marathon races in Scotland and these can be found at the last link above.

You just had to go that little bit further :lol:

I started couch to 5k in October, had two weeks off injured and I ran 5k in 35mins. Found the app helped with increasing the workload without overwhelming me.

I'm running for SAMH as I was suicidal and have had a though 6 months.

Yeah exactly - the usual first and last place times are 15 - 17 mins and 40 - 50 mins or so respectively. It is truly for everyone!

Victoria Park for me yesterday morning. Good conditions, but my new compression top was a nightmare - just too tight lol! Still will be good for the gym if nothing else! Got round in 18 mins 31 secs - 12 secs outside pb.

1 hour run this morning and covered 14.55km in pretty good conditions. Looking forward to Jantastic as it will get me out training in crap weather, which is not a strength of mine!

parkruns are for all abilities, from international class athletes to pensioners that walk/run with the family dog.

Have a look at the usual times that people do it in, the results are posted on line. No way will you finish last.

I've registered with the website and will try the Falkirk one this Saturday or next. Looks like a good system they have and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Signed up for the Grangemouth 10k and put myself into the ballot for the Great North Run. Better start getting out again, haven't been out since the 23rd Dec.

Thats a good 10K that one. done it last year. Very flat. Was flippin freezing with a strong wind last year, but still loved it. Will do it again methinks.

This is a good place to start. http://www.c25k.com/

If you are just starting running then you should be looking at 5km as you first big target and work your way up from there (if you want to - nothing wrong with being a 5k runner and indeed it is my favourite distance). Parkrun would be a good first event to do as it is very friendly and runs every Saturday morning at 9.30am. There are locations throughout Scotland as you can see from this link. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

When you are ready to do your big event then the place to go to find race details is here:- http://scottishrunningguide.com/race_listings.php

Mad Capsule, If you are based in Toryglen or close by, your local Parkruns are Pollok or Tollcross (I'm part of the core team at Tollcross). Even at this stage if you cant run 5k, thats cool. Parkrun isnt really aimed at elite or even accomplished runners (although many such folk do run) - its aimed at all abilities and we dont expect folk to be in shape - in fact we positively encourage those taking their first steps.

Personally I love running, but I'm not that great - (have worked hard to achieve mediocrity), but love being part of an event that encourages others to get going.

If you fancy Tollcross let me know, its quite a hilly course but there's no pressure to do it quickly.

Oh dear. Went out as mood was dipping

Went out far too fast and by 2.5k was aching and head wind mean I'm walking back in.

Not fit enough yet for back to back days. But still better than alternative negative duvet therapy.

Oh dear. Went out as mood was dipping

Went out far too fast and by 2.5k was aching and head wind mean I'm walking back in.

Not fit enough yet for back to back days. But still better than alternative negative duvet therapy.

Hey, you went out though and you lapped everyone sitting on the couch. How you feeling now? I find back to back days tough and I've been running for years!

I had a wee peek on here last night out of curiosity and I've been convinced to give the Falkirk Parkrun a go.

I used to be pretty fit but I've hardly done any form of exercise for a while, I'm not overweight but I'm in pretty poor shape, I went for a walk round the town a couple of days ago and decided to jog some of it, I lasted about 300m and felt sick. Tried again the following night and managed to jog about 1k fairly comfortably. The copious amounts of alcohol and fags over the xmas period has certainly not helped, I've chucked the fags and gonna try not to drink for a good few weeks.

I'll do a couple of more nights of walking/jogging this week & hopefully this will be enough to get me through the Parkrun without a coronary!!

Did my first long slow run of the year yesterday ran for an hour and 5 minutes (longer than I had intended as I have a diversion because of some flooding) and covered 13.25kms. Pretty pleased with this as it is the furthest I have run in at least six months.

I have taken a rest day today as it is my first day back at work so I'll be back out tomorrow morning if I can drag myself out of bed.

Planning the following

Tuesday - easy run (5 to 7 km)

Wednesday - Intervals 4-5 x 400m

Thursday - easy run (5 to 7 km)

Friday - Hill repeats 4 x 300m

Saturday - rest

Sunday - long slow run 60 to 70 minutes