The Cricket Thread

bewlay

18 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Anderson, Stokes and Rashid in for Old Trafford. Interesting to see who the 11 are.

I am going days 2-4, really looking forward to it.

Anderson and Stokes should play. They're first choices anyway. I don't expect Rashid to feature unless the pitch looks like a raging bunsen and 2 spinners are called for.

Ballance deserves more of a run than Vince in my opinion. His style is not to everyone's taste but prior to last Summer he was in some form with the bat. I think he's batting too low in the order though, I'd prefer him at three and Root at four for when an opener gets out cheaply.
Woakes has definitely surprised me this Summer and has cemented his place for me as the third seamer. His ability with the bat as well is a massive plus.
I'd give serious consideration to giving the gloves to Buttler and keeping Bairstow at 6.

Cook
Hales
Ballance
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

The length of that batting line up.

Ballance deserves more of a run than Vince in my opinion. His style is not to everyone's taste but prior to last Summer he was in some form with the bat. I think he's batting too low in the order though, I'd prefer him at three and Root at four for when an opener gets out cheaply.
Woakes has definitely surprised me this Summer and has cemented his place for me as the third seamer. His ability with the bat as well is a massive plus.
I'd give serious consideration to giving the gloves to Buttler and keeping Bairstow at 6.

Cook
Hales
Ballance
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

I'd go with that too. Ali or Rashid at 8.

Without Buttler, I'd play both Vince and Ballance, and play Stokes as a bowling all rounder.

Cook
Hales
Ballance
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

No a bad line up that....might consider Rashid for Ali in some matches.

England win toss, bat first, and go for Ali as their spinner. They're currently 60/1. If they can prolong the Innings then they will force Pakistan to go outwith their core 4 bowlers who did all the bowling in the First Test where neither of England's two Innings lasted 80 overs.

Couldn't have gone much better for England today, Cook gets a century to mute the faint whisperings that it's been a while since Abu Dhabi, they're currently at 264/3 off 71.4 overs, a pretty brisk run rate and Pakistan don't look to have much bowling strength outside their core 4 at this level.

Vince looks the part. Then he keeps getting out. I'd stick with him a bit longer. The obvious solution is to move Bairstow up and bring in a competent keeper who can bat at seven. I know he hasn't played much four day cricket, but I think Buttler is the best balance behind the stumps.