The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I can't for the life of me think of any good reason not to enforce the follow on. It's Manchester, it's going to rain. I'd have put my house on the last day not being required if Cook had put Pakistan back in.

Agreed. As Botham said even if Pakistan batted superbly after following on England would have still had another innings and would have know exactly what was required. Now they dont really know when to declare. There has only been 12 overs since the decision and in these conditions you would have backed the England bowlers to take 2 or 3 wickets.

If that was the case they wouldn't have made Sri Lanka bat again during last series.  it's just a very strange decision by a conservative skipper.  He has previous for it.

Don't believe it myself, agree that he has made similar decisions before. I just find it utterly bizarre given how unpredictable the Manchester weather can be.

Don't believe it myself, agree that he has made similar decisions before. I just find it utterly bizarre given how unpredictable the Manchester weather can be.

Just can't see any logic behind it. It just offers a chance (albeit a tiny one) for Pakistan to escape with a draw. I don't see anyway at all Pakistan don't lose from following on.

Just can't see any logic behind it. It just offers a chance (albeit a tiny one) for Pakistan to escape with a draw. I don't see anyway at all Pakistan don't lose from following on.

Me neither tbh. 391 of a lead, it would be some effort by Pakistan to reach that never mind get a decent amount of runs in front. Even if they did you would fancy England to be able to score what was needed on day 5. Cook will get absolute pelters if they fail to win this.

Me neither tbh. 391 of a lead, it would be some effort by Pakistan to reach that never mind get a decent amount of runs in front. Even if they did you would fancy England to be able to score what was needed on day 5. Cook will get absolute pelters if they fail to win this.

Sounds like press are already fizzing about it....but yeah he would be hammered if they fail to win

It's just another thing that highlights the lunacy of not putting Pakistan back in for me. Hales, Vince and Ballance have all struggled to varying degrees, and they now have to score runs quickly if they need to bat tomorrow. Not the best situation to put guys that are short of confidence in.

It's just another thing that highlights the lunacy of not putting Pakistan back in for me. Hales, Vince and Ballance have all struggled to varying degrees, and they now have to score runs quickly if they need to bat tomorrow. Not the best situation to put guys that are short of confidence in.

Absolutely spot on

I'd view it the other way in that it is another chance for them to show they are the part. In particular it should have suited Hales with the intention me to attack and score runs quickly.

Vince should be dropped already with Buttler in and Bairstow up the order.

No danger England will not win this. Possibly should have enforced yesterday but I don't think the Pakistani bowlers/fielders enjoyed this morning. Root and Cook earlier were amazing to watch, Root was taking the piss by the end.

Anderson has been great this morning but Broad was disappointing. Cook just dropped a sitter from Stokes - don't think it will reach a 5th day so all the criticism might look a bit OTT if they still win in 4 days.

Any fuss about the follow on will be quickly forgotten as England win with just over 300 runs to spare. Stokes had to go off after injuring a calf muscle and will have a scan tomorrow.

That's as good an all round a performance as England have had for a while. Everyone contributed, even the maligned guys.

Joe Root might be the best England batsman of all time. If he stays fit, he's going to be a Lara/Warne/Tendulkar type great.

Eta. I wish he'd bowl more.

That's as good an all round a performance as England have had for a while. Everyone contributed, even the maligned guys.

Joe Root might be the best England batsman of all time. If he stays fit, he's going to be a Lara/Warne/Tendulkar type great.

Eta. I wish he'd bowl more.

Agree on both points