The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Did KP leave the IPL early to come back and play in the test match?

Yes, sort of. He was only ever going to be allowed to play in the first couple of weeks of the IPL because of the Test series. The ECB have first call on him.

Much better from Scotland yesterday, who were competitive for a good 80-odd overs of their home match against Warwickshire.

Good bowling performance and improved in the field. Warks were probably thinking around 250 until Gordon Drummond took two wickets in one splendid over, slowing them down for what looked set to be around 220, before erstwhile hero Drummond was ka-powed for at least 25 in the final over, Warks finishing on 242, I think.

Scotland's innings began brightly before Fraser Watts was caught and bowled by Woakes, a disappointing shot, and they never really recovered their momentum. That said, with a reasonably chaseable target, the Saltires's modest run rate still kept them in with a shout, but more damaging was the regular loss of wickets. They did manouevre themselves into the perfectly acceptable position of needing fewer than eight an over from the last ten, but being seven down and with only Craig Wright remaining with much in the way of batting potential, it was starting to look highly improbable when the day's first rain (apart from the shower over lunch) arrived.

A good effort though, and hope remains that they might win a match this year.

I should probably mention that there was a group of, shall we say, boisterous Warks fans up. With something like fifteen overs left and Scotland still in the match, one of these unsavoury characters ran onto the field, nicked one of the bails, and "escaped" over the wall, evading the not-terribly-hot pursuit of the security. Cue an unscheduled break while replacement bails were found. Neil McCallum, who had been looking quite handy, was caught out two balls after this interruption, thus breaking a promising partnership with Borgas which was probably Scotland's last real hope. Now, the timing of McCallum's dismissal may just have been coincidental, and it's still unlikely Scotland would have pulled it off...but I hope somebody finds that knob and beats him to death with a cricket bat.

Tea (Day 4) West Indies 303/8 (82.0 ov)

West Indies trail by 266 runs with 2 wickets

England win still most likely outcome although at least with the Innings being taken past 80 overs they're being made to work for it this time around. Sloppy play by Benn for his run-out.

Prior injured - Collingwood keeping wicket.

West Indies 310 (84.3 ov) - England enforce follow-on.

Edited by btb

Despite 2 rain breaks England will have this wrapped up in the next couple of hours. The Windies are 166 for 7 (39.5 overs). Shiv is digging in a bit with 45

Edit: Last ball before lunch Anderson gets Benn 167 for 8 (41.0 overs)

The end is nigh

Edited by Cowden til i die

Despite 2 rain breaks England will have this wrapped up in the next couple of hours. The Windies are 166 for 7 (39.5 overs). Shiv is digging in a bit with 45

Edit: Last ball before lunch Anderson gets Benn 167 for 8 (41.0 overs)

The end is nigh

Innings and 82 run defeat i think...Not very good from a W Indies perspective.Moral booster for England, but far tougher tests to come.

Bit of a cross road again for W Indies cricket.I thought there were signs of a revival ,but this was poor.OK cold and early in the season but they were just not up for it. I wonder if that was Gayle,s last game as skipper? A great cricketer,and i love watching him,but it is plain to see that his heart is not in it.Maybe some of the off field politics is beginning to take it toll.I always think as the ECB as being badly organised but the relationship between the team and the W Indies board is at times toxic.

Bit of a waste of time that series, but nice to see Anderson bowling well, and Bopara and Cook getting some runs. Bopara cementing the number three spot is the only useful thing to come out of it in terms of knowing what the Ashes team will be.

Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Panesar

is probably the first choice XI they've got in mind, but if either Flintoff isn't fit, or if they decide only to play one spinner it'll be interesting to see which of the seamers is next in line. I suspect a fully fit Sidebottom would still be first call ahead of Onions or Bresnan.

I've not seen a single minute of that "test" series. The Windies really are a fucking dreadful touring side.

I do however think that the friction between the Windies board and players is a big factor in their attitude.

That report is terrible. It basically implies that Scotland wouldn't have won a 50 over game against Kent. Kent were 20 overs in, with only 64 runs for 4 wickets leaving only Kemp and Mahmood that were really capable of getting a big score left. Scotland had one wicket down after 15 overs, leaving Watson, Hamilton, McCallum, Berrington and Borgas capable of good totals, and Haq, Smith and Stander capable of putting on some runs.

Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, Phillip Hughes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Graham Manou, Andrew McDonald, Marcus North, Peter Siddle, Shane Watson.

Not a bad squad however

:rolleyes:

Aussies announced their Ashes squad this morning, pretty much as expected. No place for Symonds.

Cricinfo clicky

Symonds has of course rocked the boat over the last year or two,but i am still surprised that he has not made the squad.Is he still in the one day set up?

Only one spinner in Hauritz,that must be a slight concern,remember in 2005 Ponting turned to Warne so many times for the breakthrough.

Interesting to note that only 5 players have played here before.Still a relatively untried team went to South Africa and won.

It will be interesting to see how Mitchell Johnson adapts to English conditions,that and the fitness of Clark and Lee.Cant wait.