The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Fantastic Test in India earlier today with the home side chasing down 216 with one man left standing, the Aussies chucked it away a bit.

However my main point is - has Ricky P had the ol' Gooch / Warne / Vaughan hair weave? Seemed to have a lot more than I remember from last year. Googling brings up the same stories but from 2007.

Why is this so popular amongst cricketers compared to other sportsmen?

Second India vs Australia Test looking to be a high scoring draw - 15 wickets in 3 days. At 0/153 Hauritz's place must be in question.

Tea on Day 4 - Australia 94/3 (77 ahead) and the pitch is begining to offer something to the spinners. For Australia a lot depends on the current pair Ponting & Hussey.

Stumps - Day 4

Australia 478 & 202/7 (65.0 ov)

India 495

Australia 185 ahead - big day for Hauritz tomorrow!

PS - Who was that idiot who said it was gonna peter out into a high-scoring draw? :lol:

India win by 7 wickets, Australia drop to fifth in the rankings (below England)

and Shane Warne "blasts" Ponting's field placings for Hauritz

Edited by btb

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Who are your favourites for the World Cup? Surely South Africa and India (spanking Bangladesh just now), and I always like Sri Lanka, even if just for Malinga. Can the Aussies be totally discounted?And iIs Pietersen really opening the batting for England?

Edited by raith_94

Aussies are still a decent one day team, India on (largely) home soil should be favourites though. Hopefully the Saffers (the ones that play in green) make an amusing exit again. England look semi finals at best to me.

What's the format for this tournament? Have they done away with the Super 6s /8s? Part of me is convinced the 2007 WC is still going on somewhere.

Bangla having a bit of a go, 50/0 off the first 5, but as I type they've just lost their first wicket.

What's the format for this tournament? Have they done away with the Super 6s /8s? Part of me is convinced the 2007 WC is still going on somewhere.

Don't think this one is any better, tbh...

In 2007 it had 16-teams in 4 groups of 4 (3 games), top 2 advanced to Super8s (6 more games), then SFs.

This time out they have 14-teams in 2 groups of 7 (6 games over 7 dates)... why not 2 groups of 8 meaning no-one sits out each date, I don't know... and top 4 advance to QFs. The group-stage actually lasts over a month (19th February to 20th March). And you'd imagine that several teams will be eliminated with a couple of games still to play - and equally others will have qualified with a couple still to play.

In overall duration, it's only 2 days shorter than 2007 (45 days not 47). And only 2 games shorter (49 games not 51), despite having 2 less teams.

Far too long.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Who are your favourites for the World Cup? Surely South Africa and India (spanking Bangladesh just now), and I always like Sri Lanka, even if just for Malinga. Can the Aussies be totally discounted?And iIs Pietersen really opening the batting for England?

Eh no, cant believe your actually asking that. I would have them as second favourites behind India. Personally I dont see why Pieterson shouldnt open the batting. You want your best players in as early as possible, and lets be honest he pisses all over Prior - who averages 23 in 80 ODIs :lol:

Don't think this one is any better, tbh...

In 2007 it had 16-teams in 4 groups of 4 (3 games), top 2 advanced to Super8s (6 more games), then SFs.

This time out they have 14-teams in 2 groups of 7 (6 games over 7 dates)... why not 2 groups of 8 meaning no-one sits out each date, I don't know... and top 4 advance to QFs. The group-stage actually lasts over a month (19th February to 20th March). And you'd imagine that several teams will be eliminated with a couple of games still to play - and equally others will have qualified with a couple still to play.

In overall duration, it's only 2 days shorter than 2007 (45 days not 47). And only 2 games shorter (49 games not 51), despite having 2 less teams.

Far too long.

This is going to have more pointless rubbers than Cliff Richard's sock drawer.

Crushing wins for NZ, SL, and Aus over non-Test playing nations so far. I might not start paying attention until the QFs.

Legend.

_44149318_malinga.jpg

Cant really get too excited about the world cup. Too long and wound out. I've not seen Englands recent team news but if Morgan and Swann are out they have no chance. Morgan is outstanding at one day cricket and Swann is Swann. Opening the batting is a major issue and I'm not convinced about KP in there. I'd be tempted with Kieswetter.

That is quite possibly the single worst piece of fielding ever! :angry: :angry:

KP and Jimmy looking like plums, cant see Engand doing anything in this tournament - a piss poor series in Oz is being followed by a very average performance against the Dutch.

Utter sh**** from England - they had a bowled called back as there werent enough men in the circle, utter farce.

The likes of South Africa aint going to be quaking in their boots. Even if they knock off the 290 odd double quick its still been a very poor effort.

Real pressure on Englands top order now, after a horrifically laughable and brainless performance in the field. Just get it pitched up to the batsmens feet, its not splitting atoms. Short ball after short ball after short ball the majority of which went to the boundary. Why only one frontline spinner? In India? My word.:unsure: