The Cricket Thread

bewlay

13 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The above is conveniently timed to answer the question. I’m not saying moisture is what caused the issues at West today, but that’s a good demonstration of an unsafe pitch, and water getting on to the wicket can cause an unsafe pitch. 

Not so sure moisture was the problem, looking at the pictures the pitch looked like a corrugated tin roof.

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Not so sure moisture was the problem, looking at the pictures the pitch looked like a corrugated tin roof.

I heard yesterday evening that they did no prep to the pitch other than cut it in the morning of the game. Given the context of poor pitches already this year, it’s baffling that the WDCU had it hosted there. 

Joe Root asking why games can't continue until 10pm if the grounds have floodlights. Something that the players only ever ask if they don't get a win they think they'll get but never when they've batted to save a test, been offered the light or drawn a game they were losing by rain. But still, spirit of cricket and everything. 

Scotland going for a record of most consecutive coin tosses lost: after losing the vital toss against the Netherlands in the deciding ODI qualifier in Zimbabwe, we’ve lost three tosses in a row in this competition. Scotland to bat first. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Joe Root asking why games can't continue until 10pm if the grounds have floodlights. Something that the players only ever ask if they don't get a win they think they'll get but never when they've batted to save a test, been offered the light or drawn a game they were losing by rain. But still, spirit of cricket and everything. 

Yeah, that's a bit sour grapes, but I do think there are genuine questions about Test cricket that need examined. We are expected to accept day/night Tests as and when they are scheduled, so if it's been pissing down most of the day, but bone dry at 18:30 and the ground has decent lighting, why not dig out a pink ball?

I also disagree with this "conditions are fine for play... but not if you bowl a certain bowler that bowls over an arbitrary pace'. It's either fit for play or it's not. Nobody has any sympathy for a batsman when he misjudges a 90mph delivery in broad daylight, so why the f**k should he be protected from it because it's a bit gloomy? Try playing on pudding wickets in Scotland mate. Also, what happens if the umps insist on Moeen at one end and Root at the other, and Root suddenly decides to sling one down at 95mph?

Yeah, ok, I know what would happen and I know it's about safety, but I'll say this again - I have never, ever seen a batsman hurt when he was looking at the ball. Every single time I've seen someone get hit in the head it's because they turned their head away. Watch the ball and you don't get hurt.

15 hours ago, Donathan said:

Not a huge cricket fan but why do they bother stopping at all when it rains? Apart from cricket and tennis, every other sport just gets on with it 

Not sure which dumped more water on the Old Trafford pitch - the rainclouds or the salty tears of the media as they realised the Ashes were gone.

Scotland off to a good start at The Grange. 97 for 1 after 9, with Hairs back to his belligerent best, currently on a quickfire 63 from 25. Italy have dropped a couple of chances though, and Munsey still looks a bit out of form, going cheaply for 12. Glad to see McMullen in at 3. We should be able to rack up a big total here.

IMG_2985.jpeg

Edited by Frankie S

Hairs gets his century, scoring 102 from 40 balls. I was at The Grange in 2003 when Ryan Watson scored 103 off 43 against Somerset, and this has been a similarly brilliant knock from Hairs today, albeit with let off early in his innings when he was dropped by Madsen. 

IMG_2992.jpeg

Edited by Frankie S