The Cricket Thread

bewlay

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Been a waste of a fielder right through the series imo.

It's no even a true leg slip for the wee tickle, it's more like a 2nd or even 3rd leg slip, and the ball is only ever going to go through there if it's an utter turd of a delivery miles outside leg, the batsman forgets you are there, and he middles it straight to you.

f**k knows what the idea is. Setting a field for a keech baw 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Boo Khaki

This has probably been mentioned regularly, but sky sports’ commentary is brutal. The biggest personality vacuum imaginable, it must be the way they’re instructed to commentate as they can’t all be this dull.  

If it was your first taste of watching cricket it would put you off for life.  Compare it to tms on the radio which is a brilliant listen. Mostly people who bring the game alive.

If I was Stuart Broad and I sat through Atherton’s tortuous tribute piece yesterday I’d have been insulted and told sky to ram it. It was so dull and uninspiring.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

This has probably been mentioned regularly, but sky sports’ commentary is brutal. The biggest personality vacuum imaginable, it must be the way they’re instructed to commentate as they can’t all be this dull.  

If it was your first taste of watching cricket it would put you off for life.  Compare it to tms on the radio which is a brilliant listen. Mostly people who bring the game alive.

If I was Stuart Broad and I sat through Atherton’s tortuous tribute piece yesterday I’d have been insulted and told sky to ram it. It was so dull and uninspiring.

They've got rid of all the arseholes, so it's just completely anodyne now. 

Holding was great, Botham and Tony Greig havered shite but at least they used to cause arguments. Bob Willis was the James Hunt of cricket commentary, and you could tell Gower spent all his time completely exasperated by the lot of them. Then Boycott 😍

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'll be astonished if they let Bairstow keep wicket in India. 

He’s brutal at it but he will be selected.

You only have to look at yesterday when England’s players swapped shirts for dementia awareness, Stokes and Bairstow had swapped.  

There’s no way Stokes is dropping his mate.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

They've got rid of all the arseholes, so it's just completely anodyne now. 

Holding was great, Botham and Tony Greig havered shite but at least they used to cause arguments. Bob Willis was the James Hunt of cricket commentary, and you could tell Gower spent all his time completely exasperated by the lot of them. Then Boycott 😍

Boycott was great. 

I didn’t think Botham was very good, always felt he didn’t particularly enjoy watching cricket. 

Holding you could listen to all day!

Holding was great and Gower moved from excellent commentator to superb host. Atherton is really good in print but he doesn't just have the personality to do it on TV or radio sadly. As much as he isn't liked, I preferred Mark Nicholas on Ch4/Ch5/BT who would usually have Vaughan, Boycott etc alongside him. 

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree, Mark Nicholas was far better than what is on offer now.

Funny how much people can disagree on things like this as Mark Nicholas is my least favourite sports presenter/commentator of all time! I'm also not a fan of TMS so suspect we just have totally different tastes (not a bad thing!).

TMS can be hit and miss. I used to hate it when it was Blowers and home baking and the no. 48 bus driving past the pavilion and all that shite. But when they are explaining the fielding positions and talking strategy and getting the crazy stats out (that's the third time in an Ashes series a number 5 batsman has been dismissed lbw by a left arm spinner...) it's hard to beat.

4 minutes ago, Angus_Don said:

Can’t watch atm, how easy has this been for the Aussies? Seem to be knocking these off with ease.

Very easy. Few balls that have beaten the edge but no genuine chances.

I've been baffled by a lot of the captaincy this series, but England's bowling choices have seemed bizarre to me. Wood has taken wickets in the series just by raw pace doing for the batsman, but they then keep him in reserve for the ball to get older in the hope that it's going to swing. Meanwhile they persevered with Anderson whose biggest weapon is swing, even though there is almost none at all.

I don’t mind England winning at all at cricket, generally rather see them win than the Aussies, but it would be a wee bit funny if Australia were to stroll through this innings to victory with a record run chase.

All the chat I’ve heard in media is how good England have been and poor and passive the Aussies have been, yet the scoreboard would be 3-1 Australia.  Plus with all the Broad stuff since his announcement, it was as if it was to be his special day(s) as he led England to a ceremonial victory. As someone mentioned higher up, it was a bit egotistical to do it with the match at its decisive point to make it all about him.  It completely overshadowed the job at hand. 

Still think England will do it, but it’s definitely not going to plan so far…