The Cricket Thread

bewlay

The Test Match Special gang far from impressed with the role of Archer in the first run-out.  I couldn't believe there was a second one.  Far more measured in their post-performance analysis than the pile-on in a certain other sport.

Still can shake the feeling that England's fortunes in white ball cricket, or the apparent deterioration of them, have a lot more to do with Eoin Morgan's retirement than folk seem to realise. Buttler's a great player in his own right, but Morgan was an intrinsic part of turning them around from a nation that played nurdlers like Darren Maddy when everyone else was thumping it over the stands, then he held it together through nonsense like pretending Jade Dernbach was an international calibre bowler. It was shit before Morgan was given authority, and it's been a bit shit again since he left.

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Still can shake the feeling that England's fortunes in white ball cricket, or the apparent deterioration of them, have a lot more to do with Eoin Morgan's retirement than folk seem to realise. Buttler's a great player in his own right, but Morgan was an intrinsic part of turning them around from a nation that played nurdlers like Darren Maddy when everyone else was thumping it over the stands, then he held it together through nonsense like pretending Jade Dernbach was an international calibre bowler. It was shit before Morgan was given authority, and it's been a bit shit again since he left.

It's certainly been a very poor tournament for them, pumped the teams they should but got reamed by the Aussies and India. Still think the way Scotland had started against them we were going to post a good score.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

What about winning the toss and choosing to field? That was madness imo, especially with a mixed weather forecast. Surely if DLS had come into play you would want to be chasing

I only managed to get the radio on about ten minutes before the first ball so I wasn't sure what the thinking was for that decision.   I am no expert so I have been taking a look at the pre-match comments, where England seem to have based their decision on the belief that the ball would stay low.  India seemed confident to go out there and bat from the off.  General TMS consensus is we have scraped through up to this point, with reference to the rain helping us against Scotland and just not performed to the required standard for this opponent.

England have been absolute dugshite. Their batting is unbelievably fragile and at 90-0, Scotland would have given them a proper fright. 

All that will happen though is that the top 8 will pull up the drawbridge to make life harder for the emerging nations. See also SPFL Board. 

52 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

It's certainly been a very poor tournament for them, pumped the teams they should but got reamed by the Aussies and India. Still think the way Scotland had started against them we were going to post a good score.

They also lost to the Saffers in the Super 8's. 

Like I said, they've beaten three Associate Nations and the W.I. (West Indies, not Women's Institute, although they'd probably provide stiffer opposition than Oman) and somehow found themselves in a Semi-Final despite losing to Australia and South Africa. It's shades of "Gareth Southgate's team of World Class players" looking no better than the likes of Slovenia, lucking into playing Slovakia/Forfar Athletic/Heligoland Civil Service and yet sill only scraping into the Final, and then wondering why they get pumped when they get there.

There is no denying that Morgan, Stokes, and Root would be of use to this side, but with Morgan in particular I think it's self-evident it's not just his playing and Captaincy abilities they are missing. There's nothing like the sense of surety and purpose there used to be, and they're also noticeably more prone to gross acts of stupidity than they used to be, something that has also crept into the red-ball team since they went all-in with Bazball.

Edited by Boo Khaki

8 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

They also lost to the Saffers in the Super 8's. 

Like I said, they've beaten three Associate Nations and the W.I. (West Indies, not Women's Institute, although they'd probably provide stiffer opposition than Oman) and somehow found themselves in a Semi-Final despite losing to Australia and South Africa. It's shades of "Gareth Southgate's team of World Class players" looking no better than the likes of Slovenia, lucking into playing Slovakia/Forfar Athletic/Heligoland Civil Service and yet sill only scraping into the Final, and then wondering why they get pumped when they get there.

There is no denying that Morgan, Stokes, and Root would be of use to this side, but with Morgan in particular I think it's self-evident it's not just his playing and Captaincy abilities that are missing. There's nothing like the sense of surety and purpose there used to be, and they're also noticeably more prone to gross acts of stupidity than they used to be, something that has also crept into the red-ball team since they went all-in with Bazbal

Morgan communicates well and seems very self-assured.  When you hear him talk about how he was going to play for England, you can sense the determination.  Some players just bring that something intangible that re-enforces that sense of surety and purpose you are talking.  I wish I had it.

6 hours ago, Red Kite said:

Morgan communicates well and seems very self-assured.  When you hear him talk about how he was going to play for England, you can sense the determination.  Some players just bring that something intangible that re-enforces that sense of surety and purpose you are talking.  I wish I had it.

Morgan should be in the running to be their next coach, but you know the ECB will f**k it up somehow or give Mott a new deal instead of helping him pack. The only thing you can say in Moeen and Bairstow's defence is that it's not their fault that idiots keep picking them. Last night must be the final fling for a chunk of the England side. 

Screenshot_20240628_050448_X.jpg

On 24/06/2024 at 20:24, CaspianChris said:

Those was a decent watch yesterday in beautiful conditions at Forthill and with a favourable outcome for me with Forfarshire winning.

Thinking I will go down next weekend for the game against Uddingston I think it is in the next round.

Screenshot_20240624_201210_Chrome.jpg

Great to see another forfs man on here :D

An excellent start to the season so far, hopefully at least one more trophy this season to add to the last few years :)

Even by Saffers standards that's a hell of a bed shitting. 95% on the win predictor, 30 needed at a run a ball with 6 wickets in hand. Absolute collapse after Klaasen was out.

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

The timing on this 😬🤣

:lol::ph34r: Timing might prove to be even worse come late afternoon/ evening today!

League does seem a lot tighter this year - I think a mix of Forfs/ Heriots/ Grange missing quite a few key players at points, and others like RHC, Stew Mel and even Falkland with real noticable improvements over the past year or two has made it a much tighter league top to bottom than previous years. At the bottom end teams like Meigle and Arbroath are hardly fodder now apart from against each other/ those around them and it makes for a really interesting league this year. Not even mentioned Carlton in there, who really should be making a challenge at the top soon with what they're putting together....

Jamie Smith and Pennington into the Test squad with Bairstow, Foakes, Wood, Robinson and Leach all punted.

Going with Bashir as the first choice spinner is a bit of a risk, although he might not play every game at home. Interesting that he has won the spinner battle over Leach, Hartley and Ahmed.

Woakes has been selected presumably for some experience as that bowling attack is very young once Jimmy retires. You could feasibly have a second test where Matt Potts is the most experienced bowler in the attack. 

Bairstow and Foakes rightly excluded. Foakes was unlucky in his career as he should have been selected over Buttler in that 2019-21 period of ‘proper Test cricket’ under Silverwood but only got his chance once BazBall came along which he doesn’t suit. I am surprised that Ollie Robinson (the keeper) didn’t get a call up given his play style but Smith looks good too.

Edited by Sir Tarmo

Haven't seen a lot of Jamie Smith. 

Is he a legitimate Keeper, or is he the latest in the long line of "guys who average 40 that we'll stick behind the stumps and call a keeper" England "keepers"?