The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England start their second innings after Sa seem to take an age declaring.

382 is the target.

Not sure if they would have declared at tea anyway, but the weather definitely forced their hand.

That could well be Hales last chance for a while.

With that Hales has an average of 17 I think.

Had a quick scan of other recent openers and I think that puts him higher than Moeen on his three tests as an opener (14) and Trott as an opener (12) but lower than Carberry, Lyth and Robson. Need to double check the numbers to be sure.

Edit: Compton's average as an opener is 31.93. Actually (marginally) higher than his overall average. My preference would still be to move him up the order.

Edited by jmothecat

England 83-6, Rabada has 10 wickets in the match. He got Bairstow caught behind two balls in a row, Bairstow getting a reprieve the first time as it was a no ball. Rabada has been impressive, his consistency has got better as the series has gone on.

Excellent from Rabada, 6 wickets this innings, 13 in the match. Dismal from England as they capitulate in little more than an hour. SA win by 280 runs.

Test rankings are as tight as a duck's arse, only 5 points separate India in 1st and England in 5th.

Why does this happen with England so often ? Win the series then not turn up for the final test. Also how often do we see this final day collapse ? These are professional sportsmen for goodnesd sake but England seem to lack a mental toughness and to stay focussed at all times. Series victory against an SA side minus Steyn is only papering over the cracks thst have been present for a couple of years in terms of that fragile batting line up which amazingly extends all the way to No. 8. Still issues at opener, 3 and 5.

Interesting revelation from Cook after this morning's play:

England captain Alastair Cook: "In this Test we lacked variety in our attack, we'll learn from that going forward. We've got options and it's all there for the bowlers in they want it.

I'm looking forward to getting home and, within a week, I'll be back doing something to sheep."

It took England only 66 minutes and 82 deliveries to lose 7 wickets.

MOTM Kagiso Rabada became the youngest South Africa bowler to take 10 wickets in a match (1st innings 7-112 & 2nd innings 6-32).

That gave him match figures of 13-144 the best by a South Africa bowler on home soil and the second best in their history behind the 13-132 by Makyaha Ntini v West Indies in 2005.

MOTS was Ben Stokes who scored 411 runs and took 12 wickets.

The first ODI is on Wednesday 3rd February.