The Cricket Thread

bewlay

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-sri-lanka-2016/content/story/999599.html

ECB propose points based system across all formats for the forthcoming series against Sri Lanka.

I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand it would add meaning to dead rubber test matches, and it would add interest in the shorter forms. On the other I hate the idea of a side winning a test series, getting thrashed in the short forms, and it counting as a 'series loss' when that team won the important series.

I like the idea. One day games seem to meaningless at present. I don't agree it would undermine Test cricket. Teams would still win the Test series, but they'd compete in an overall series too. The Ashes would still just be awarded for the team winning the Test series, for instance.

Sam Robson has scored a double century for Middlesex. With the debate over Cook's opening partner still not settled.

(And Bairstow's got one for Yorkshire)

Adam Lyth scored 111 opening for Yorkshire yesterday too. Bairstow and Plunkett battered 227 at 8 an over, and Bairstow also passed 8000 first class runs.

• 2 weeks later...

Have Cricket Scotland moved to Stirling yet?

Find that an odd move given how often it rains in stirling. I know it seems good to go geographically central but surely we need a venue that we actually play matches at.....we have lost in last few years matches against England n Australia due to weather....why have a venue which makes likelihood of losing game time even higher??

Find that an odd move given how often it rains in stirling. I know it seems good to go geographically central but surely we need a venue that we actually play matches at.....we have lost in last few years matches against England n Australia due to weather....why have a venue which makes likelihood of losing game time even higher??

To be fair there aren't many grounds in the country worthy of hosting Scotland matches aside from Grange, Mannofield and maybe, at a push, Titwood. There is going to have to be some amount spent at Stirling to get it up to scratch as any time I've been the pitch is thoroughly disappointing.

So many clubs are on their knees financially aside from the south of Glasgow clubs (Clydesdale) and the affluent Edinburgh sides and I think Ayr do quite well (rumour is they're paying their former NZ test and ODI bat £10k for the season). I'm quite heavily involved with the running of a club in the West and its becoming so hard to field teams, I think we've got 57 registered players and we've only managed to scrape together two teams tonight, and I'm having to score instead of play. Clubs are having to rely on their core membership to pay their subs promptly and get money over the bar to pay their way as sponsorship is so hard to come by. I've been trying for years to get local companies down but cricket just doesn't have the pull, and the cash we're missing out on is cash needed to improve facilities and help cultivate talent. 

The other issue, of course, is Cricket Scotland spunking all their money away on international tournaments and not really caring about the domestic scene - been that way for years.

North Sea Pro Series. I can't find anything suggesting it is still going and the Twitter page is no longer active.

Found out they've reverted back to a regional pro series of three teams

http://www.cricketscotland.com/regional-pro-series-2016/

Cricket Scotland is pleased to announce the expansion of the existing Pro Team structure for the men’s game from two to three teams in 2016. 

The Pro Teams will revert to the existing regional identities of Western Warriors, Eastern Knights and the Caledonian Highlanders and the teams will play each other in two competitions, the CS Pro50 Cup and the CS T20 Blitz. 

I do wonder how many full-time players CS have now?

The issue at CS is that there isn't anything being done to rectify the dwindling numbers. It can be said the move from the National League structure to a regional structure might have helped but I haven't seen it, plus I really enjoyed the long trips, leaving Coatbridge at 9am and not getting back until 10/11 at night and it made for a properly good day out.

The issue at CS is that there isn't anything being done to rectify the dwindling numbers. It can be said the move from the National League structure to a regional structure might have helped but I haven't seen it, plus I really enjoyed the long trips, leaving Coatbridge at 9am and not getting back until 10/11 at night and it made for a properly good day out.

IIRC there was only two national divisions and the there was 4 regions. I used to play for Strathmore from U11 to U18 level and they played in Strathmore and Perthshire leagues (Tayside League) which had a team from Huntly in it.

There was the SNCL 1 and SNCL 2 with a pyramid system below it. The National League wasn't feasible but the quality of domestic cricket has faltered since its removal.

I'm currently at odds with a podcast by CricIndex featuring Neil Drysdale and their lack of knowledge about cricket in the West. So much Edinburgh bias in cricket media, not that its changed right enough.

I'll be intrigued to see if Hales keeps his place in the test side despite averaging lower in SA than Lyth did against NZ.

Not sure where they turn next if he doesn't. Compton? Carberry (who I thought got treated terribly)? Robson? Go younger with Alex Lees?

I'll be intrigued to see if Hales keeps his place in the test side despite averaging lower in SA than Lyth did against NZ.

Not sure where they turn next if he doesn't. Compton? Carberry (who I thought got treated terribly)? Robson? Go younger with Alex Lees?

I thought Carberry got treated poorly too, but I can't see him getting a recall at 35 tbh.