The Cricket Thread

bewlay

James Vince looks like the guy who is going to replace Sweet Baby James Taylor.

Nick Compton gets another chance at 3... but you would have to think Ian Bell will get the nod if he continues to fail.

Jake Ball also called up as competition for Finn, I suspect.  Never seen him play, but he seems to have jumped ahead of quite a few names in the queue.

He's out for about 6 months. I would have picked Plunkett, his steady bowling turned around England's 20/20 World Cup after Topley was so wayward.

Decent shout tbh though I can see argument for exposing the young lad to test squad. Like plunkett has a bit of devilment in him.

The 50th Citylets Scottish Cup got up and running today with the first round of matches taking place across the country:

Drumpellier (338-5, 50o) beat Marchmont (138, 35.5o) by 200 runs. Two centurions for Drumps, comfortable win over Edinburgh Scottish Cup debutants. 

Forfarshire (365-5, 50o) beat Ayr (206, 46o) by 159 runs. Craig Wallace adds 165 to his already substantial run count this season.

Poloc (147, 34.4o) lost to Heriots (150-7, 37.4o) by 3 wickets. Low scoring affair but Heriots progress.

Ferguslie (309-6, 50o) beat Weirs (67, 22o) by 242 runs. Domination for Paisley side. 138 for Preston-Jones

Dumfries (50, 16.5o) lost to Glenrothes (51-0, 3.3o) by 10 wickets. Glenrothes smash their way to total after rolling West Prem contenders Dumfries.

Grange (333-9, 50o) beat Watsonians (65, 14o) by 268 runs. Tournament holders make statement in pursuit of consecutive wins.

Dunniker vs Clydesdale - result awaited.

Uddingston (380-5, 50o) beat Renfrew (130, 43.2o) by 250 runs. Big result for Uddy, on paper match could've gone either way.

Stirling County (188-5, 43.2o) beat Penicuik (185, 43.2o) by 5 wickets. Nice win for Stirling who progress.

Greenock (110-1, 40.3o) beat Stenhousemuir (109, 40.3o) by 9 wickets. Western Prem strugglers come unstuck against Greenock.

My writing hand is well and truly roasted after today. I'm positive that its in the league rules a sheltered area must be provided for scorers. Were Renfrew as dire as the score suggests?

Too much information, bro.

Looking forward to 1st test tomorrow. Reckon this will be the moment it really hits James Taylor hardest having to retire. Must be galling having worked so hard to secure a slot in test side to then have to quit all of a sudden

Looking forward to 1st test tomorrow. Reckon this will be the moment it really hits James Taylor hardest having to retire. Must be galling having worked so hard to secure a slot in test side to then have to quit all of a sudden

Team picks itself, right?

Cook

Hales

Compton

Root

Vince

Stokes

Bairstow

Ali

Broad

Finn

Anderson

Think Vince is down to bat at 5, team was confirmed earlier

The SL team it does look fairly weak without Sanga and Jaya, think Mathews is the last of the cracking players they've produced in the last 20 years, that's not to say some of these guys won't be, but looking at the squad most of them are reasonably experienced in terms of age if not appearances.

edit: you could pick some team from the players I was talking about

Jayasuriya

Dilshan

Sangakkara

De Silva

Jayawardene

Ranatunga ©

Tillekaratne (wk)

Vaas

Malinga

Murali

Mendis

Edited by Fuctifano

Interesting to see the likes or Robson, Bell-Drummond, D'Oliveira, Westley and Borthwick in the runs in the County Championship. I remain unconvinced by Compton at 3, would rather see Vince up the order with someone like Westley or Hildreth in at 5. 

Of course, the opening slot remains up for grabs as well. 

Really looking forward to tomorrow's play, probably most of the day sat in front of the TV watching it for me.