The Cricket Thread

bewlay

If England were to lose this test after having had Australia 122/8 on day one it would be a quite spectacular defeat even by their standards, remember checking the BBC Sport app on my phone at work on Thursday and Geoffrey Boycott was saying at that point something along the lines of "If you have tickets for five days of this test match I'd be looking at a carvery lunch on Sunday " 😄

15 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

This is brutal stuff. But England are one bowler down and Moeen is pretty ineffective. 

Bizarre decision to pick a half fit 36 year old Jimmy Anderson ahead of a fired up Jofra Archer who shone at the World Cup, more than a bit of sentiment there.

Some of Joe Root's captaining decisions have been poor to say the least regarding his field placements and how he has rotated his bowlers as well, only the weather and/or Australia not having enough time to bowl England out tomorrow can salvage a draw for England now in a match they seemed a certainty to win with a day or two to spare after 30 overs of the first innings. 

Reckon Australia will try and thrash a quick 50 odd runs in the next hour or so and try and get maybe ten overs tonight to bowl at a tired opening pair who have been in the field a day and a half. 

Edited by Flybhoy

Bizarre decision to pick a half fit 36 year old Jimmy Anderson ahead of a fired up Jofra Archer who shone at the World Cup, more than a bit of sentiment there.
Some of Joe Root's captaining decisions have been poor to say the least regarding his field placements and how he has set his fields as well, only the weather and/or Australia not having enough time to bowl England out tomorrow can salvage a draw for England now in a match they seemed a certainty to win with a day or two to spare after 30 overs of the first innings. 
Reckon Australia will try and thrash a quick 50 odd runs in the next hour or so and try and get maybe ten overs tonight to bowl at a tired opening pair who have been in the field a day and a half. 
Jonathan Agnew not happy about Anderson being picked without proving his fitness first, ultimately it has cost England their chances of winning this test.

You know more about cricket than me...but they are surely confident of bowling England out easily?

There’s absolutely no chance that the England players will even try to chase down this score. A declaration should give impetus for the chasing team to sacrifice their wickets. There’s no reason for England to play recklessly here.

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You know more about cricket than me...but they are surely confident of bowling England out easily?

Once the ball is 20-30 over old there is very little in it for the quicks. If Burns and Roy do stick around for something close to that long they will be heavily relying on Lyon to get the wickets and he is not as successful against right handers and lefties. The Englsih have a couple n their lower order. That and the possibility of some rain in the next hour could see them really struggling to take 10 wickets in 90 overs. They should be more likely than not but every over they bowl is one less to get the 10. 

Edited by dorlomin

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

There’s absolutely no chance that the England players will even try to chase down this score. A declaration should give impetus for the chasing team to sacrifice their wickets. There’s no reason for England to play recklessly here.

Yeah I do get that but is it likely that England could bat for the whole day tomorrow?  Weather permitting?

4 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Once the ball is 20-30 over old there is very little in it for the quicks. If Burns and Roy do stick around for something close to that long they will be heavily relying on Lyon to get the wickets and he is not as successful against right handers and lefties. The Englsih have a couple n their lower order. That and the possibility of some rain in the next hour could see them really struggling to take 10 wickets in 90 overs. They should be more likely than not but every over they bowl is one less to get the 10. 

OK I'd not realised they 'only' had 90 overs.

I'll stick to rugby.  The rules are simpler ;)

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

OK I'd not realised they 'only' had 90 overs.

I'll stick to rugby.  The rules are simpler ;)

90 overs scheduled tomorrow, plus what ever they get in tonight. 

Edited I think they can schedule an early start tomorrow for time lost tonight. 

Edited by dorlomin

24 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

90 overs scheduled tomorrow, plus what ever they get in tonight. 

Edited I think they can schedule an early start tomorrow for time lost tonight. 

So, to help my understanding, England play tonight until light stops play and then face 90 overs tomorrow?

Outcomes are: 

Aussies bowl them out within 90 overs - win for Australia.
England score 398 within the 90 overs - win for England
England aren't bowled out within the 90 overs - draw.

Amirite?