Official P&b Cycling Thread

Matching scars here 😅. This is what I'm left with as of today. I'll save you from the really disgusting images unless someone is very interested.
E61A148B-F57D-4B14-8ED1-C5015EB8ACB0.thumb.jpeg.ed84668cf5e57fec305e3af28308541f.jpeg

On the plus I've been out zipping around on the Brompton this week since the weather is nice. Put the Felt in for a full service the other day so I'm just waiting on pay day to go on a cycling kit shopping spree. Very, very tempted to buy the CHPT3 kit. 

47 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

How are you healing up? The pictures of the helmet (oo er) that yourself and well fan for life have put up recently just go to show the importance of wearing one. 

Bright yellow bruises on my hip and ribs making sleeping awkward. Hoping to totally remove dressings on my arm tomorrow. 
New helmet (MIPS again), shorts and gloves arrived yesterday. Collected bicycle from repair shop, where it had a check over, last night and rode it tentatively around the garden. Already checking the weekend weather forecast.

4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Matching scars here 😅. This is what I'm left with as of today. I'll save you from the really disgusting images unless someone is very interested.
E61A148B-F57D-4B14-8ED1-C5015EB8ACB0.thumb.jpeg.ed84668cf5e57fec305e3af28308541f.jpeg

On the plus I've been out zipping around on the Brompton this week since the weather is nice. Put the Felt in for a full service the other day so I'm just waiting on pay day to go on a cycling kit shopping spree. Very, very tempted to buy the CHPT3 kit. 

Go on, put them in a spoiler tag.  Might make me feel a bit better about some of my cycling injuries. 🤢

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Go on, put them in a spoiler tag.  Might make me feel a bit better about some of my cycling injuries. 🤢

Ok. You asked for it. Too many photos to upload in a post so they're on imgur in the spoiler. Look at your own peril. 

No really. If you don't like blood/minging stuff stop now.

Edited by well fan for life

23 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Ok. You asked for it. Too many photos to upload in a post so they're on imgur in the spoiler. Look at your own peril. 

Reveal hidden contents

No really. If you don't like blood/minging stuff stop now.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, pretty nasty.  Showering is a nightmare for about 3 weeks after losing that much skin.

Good to see it's well on the mend. 👍

30 miles down to Brighton this morning, got there just after 7 and sat on the beach for about half an hour. When it came to getting up and starting my journey back my legs were totally done. Just had nothing left. So ended up walking up from the seafront up to the station and getting a train back. Unfortunately my local station is out of service this weekend, so I ended up about 15 miles from home and had to cycle back. Possibly the slowest 15 miles I have ever done.

20210717_072353-01.jpeg

On 10/07/2021 at 12:22, Funky Nosejob said:

Joined the walking wounded after an off on Old Dalmahoy Road this morning. Back wheel skidded on loose gravel and down I went.

Back out for an hour this morning. Down about ½ - 1 mph on average which I should get back once I’m fully healed and get my confidence back.

Went on the B8024 Kilberry road in Argyll a few days ago - stunning ride. Started at Tarbert and up to the junction with the A83 (about 30 miles), took 2 cars as didn't fancy cycling down the A83 with the timber lorries.

Had a bit of a fall on the last downhill, embarrassingly from a stationary position! Pulled over into a passing place for a car and when I went to start again my foot slipped forward and I went over on top of the bike. Bruises are coming up a treat but nothing like those above from @well fan for life 20210715_110055.thumb.jpg.e677f0c1dd2f2f4d7f367556d3c54733.jpg20210715_121625.thumb.jpg.e34802e7a5ba01d7ebfd0fd901b88188.jpg

Joining @well fan for life & @Funky Nosejob with some wounds after taking a tumble. Unfortunately it was totally self inflicted as I couldn't unclip my pedals as I came to a roundabout. Incredibly embarrassing. 

I have been cycling in and out of work this week, ten miles either way and I feel so much better for it. A lot more energy in the day. Really enjoying it!

7 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Joining @well fan for life & @Funky Nosejob with some wounds after taking a tumble. Unfortunately it was totally self inflicted as I couldn't unclip my pedals as I came to a roundabout. Incredibly embarrassing. 

To be absolutely fair we've all done it with clipless. 😅

Hopefully nothing more than your pride is wounded too badly. 

Edited by well fan for life

On 11/07/2021 at 12:30, Day of the Lords said:

Aye, the next gen version. Expensive, but got it on 0% Finance for 2 years and sold my spin bike and a direct drive trainer which took the sting out somewhat.

The original Wattbike Atom had a few issues, particularly with gear shifting - the new one has ironed those out and seems to have been reworked to properly work with likes of Zwift, RGT, Rouvy etc 

Where did you source such a deal? I have a smart turbo but had my heart set on the wattbike after reading up on them earlier in the year. I will probably take the plunge for a wattbike in time for winter. On their website 6 months is interest free but 24 months is best part of 10% interest. 

Where did you source such a deal? I have a smart turbo but had my heart set on the wattbike after reading up on them earlier in the year. I will probably take the plunge for a wattbike in time for winter. On their website 6 months is interest free but 24 months is best part of 10% interest. 
They must change the offers regularly, I'm £99.80 for 20 months interest free. It was through their website as no one else sells them as far as I can tell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking for some info from the group. I suffered a TIA a week ago and have been signed off for a few weeks to recover so I'm planning some long overdue projects to tide me over the winter and need some information.

1. I'm wanting to update my SuperSix and I'm wanting to get it resprayed or powdercoated, does anyone know of somewhere that is reliable and of a good reputation that would do this?

2. I've got an old Reynolds framed Raleigh Team Banana that I want to restore. I've not decided whether to fit it with modern gear or keep it retro but once again it's the frame I need help with. I've Googled it but can't seem to find the original paint colour scheme details, I'd like to keep the paint job as close to the original as possible.

Thanks all!

Edited by statts1976uk

I do most of the routine maintenance on my bikes myself but take them to the menders for the bigger stuff. The place I've been using for a long time changed hands a couple of years ago and the service has been going steadily downhill since. I have an almost 20 year old mountain bike which was inexpensive when new but it's seen good service and I'm fond of it. That said; I generally just use it for riding the dirt roads around my neighbourhood now.

Recently it developed a problem with the gears, which I couldn't resolve myself. So, I decided to give the bike shop one more go. The mechanic looked it over for about 15 seconds before quoting me for new shifters, bottom bracket, front and rear derailleurs, chain and cassette. Basically a brand new groupset which would've cost about 20 times what the bike is worth with labour on top of that. When I balked, he went straight into a sales pitch to try and get me to buy a new bike. I left and took it to a shop which I hadn't used before. £11, ready the following day. And they cleaned it for me too.

Today I drove past the  first shop and noticed that it had gone out of business.

Pleasing.

11 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I do most of the routine maintenance on my bikes myself but take them to the menders for the bigger stuff. The place I've been using for a long time changed hands a couple of years ago and the service has been going steadily downhill since. I have an almost 20 year old mountain bike which was inexpensive when new but it's seen good service and I'm fond of it. That said; I generally just use it for riding the dirt roads around my neighbourhood now.

Recently it developed a problem with the gears, which I couldn't resolve myself. So, I decided to give the bike shop one more go. The mechanic looked it over for about 15 seconds before quoting me for new shifters, bottom bracket, front and rear derailleurs, chain and cassette. Basically a brand new groupset which would've cost about 20 times what the bike is worth with labour on top of that. When I balked, he went straight into a sales pitch to try and get me to buy a new bike. I left and took it to a shop which I hadn't used before. £11, ready the following day. And they cleaned it for me too.

Today I drove past the  first shop and noticed that it had gone out of business.

Pleasing.

Tell us the name of the good shop, please.