Official P&b Cycling Thread

Anybody cycled over the Erskine Bridge?

Did it today part of a 25 mile loop- Paisley-Glasgow City Centre, out past SECC onto cycleway to bridge, over into Erskine and back past the airport to Paisley.

The climb onto the bridge is fairly steep granted (it is a fair old height!) but the wind up there is something else. Took me 10 minutes to do a mile laugh.gif

Good ride though- no aches and pains in legs, just my stomach area- crouched over the bike for too long!

Weather was smashing here over the weekend so I went out to banchory, round Scolty Hill and back to Aberdeen. The Aberdeen - Banchory - Aberdeen legs totalled ~ 40 miles.

Got stuck behind some runners out doing a run (surprisingly enough) and that held me up. Still, it was a fantastic cycle.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/pA785frnSJo

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/pCsJCCfmrhs

Finally cycled to work this morning. Took it nice and steady, mostly on cycle paths, mostly slightly uphill and into the slight prevailing westerly breeze. Was fantastic. Just under 12 miles, really enjoyed it.

I'm going to start doing this from next week and just need to get myself organised re having stuff at office for changing,showering etc.

Out with the club on Saturday and were joined by 2 new potential members, a husband & wife team.

They were both doing really well,until the female came off,going down a hill at around 25mph.

She was pretty badly bruised,grazed and shaken,but thankfully nothing broken .

However,her cycle helmet split completely down one side and if she hadn't been earing it,I dread to think what the end result could have been .

There's also another very exxperienced local female cyclist who came off her bike a couple of weeks ago when going around a corner at only 10mph and hit a patch of diesel,ending up with a fractured skull!.

She's making slow progress,but thankfully getting there..

Please,please take heed all of you guys who still go out without wearing a bike helmet.

I know it doesn't look cool,but could save serious injuries, or your life

I am starting up my cycling, any one any tips? on road manners etc?

Check out the numerous online forums for tips. Road Cycling UK is a good source of information and they welcome all number of questions and requests for advice from new riders:

RCUK Forums

FWIW, the best bit of advice I could offer is to simply get out and ride. That sounds a bit corny, but I've found that nothing beats experience. From kick-off, be assertive in your road positioning and don't ride in the gutter. At least two feet from the kerb would be my suggestion, though I often ride near the middle of the lane when there are parked cars at the side of the road, or traffic islands etc.

Take it easy, and obey the rules of the road (don't jump red lights or hop on pavements too often etc.). That way, motorists will be inclined to be more respectiful and give you room and time when required.

Did it today part of a 25 mile loop- Paisley-Glasgow City Centre, out past SECC onto cycleway to bridge, over into Erskine and back past the airport to Paisley.

The climb onto the bridge is fairly steep granted (it is a fair old height!) but the wind up there is something else. Took me 10 minutes to do a mile laugh.gif

Good ride though- no aches and pains in legs, just my stomach area- crouched over the bike for too long!

Been over the bridge a few time couple time doing the route up to glasgow and once up to balloch wasnt to wind so just breezed up it both are good runs though

I cycled over the Erskine Bridge last year. Stayed overnight in the Travelodge at the Airport, and was heading to Dumbarton to start cycling to all the 2nd division grounds for this season.

There was only one side open for pedestrians and cyclists and I recall a massive gust of wind from a lorry almost stopped me as it zoomed past.....dry.gif

It's a fair pech, especially for an oldy like me....... ;)

It is fairly steep, when you are under as you come off the cycle path and look up you realise how tall they built it. The wind was strong in town, just 40m up in the air on a steep climb it was a little stronger! Nearly got blown into the guardrail at one point! laugh.gif

Guys, I posted the other day about looking for a cheap second-hand road bike. Originally I had a budget of about £200, but as some will have seen on the PTTGOYN thread, our wee cat was hit by a car and needed an op - thankfully he's doing fine, but my budget has taken a bit of a hit.

I've found a guy selling a Raleigh Airlite 100 for the princely sum of £90. It was previously advertised at £100 and has been re-advertised, so maybe I can get another tenner or so off the price.

Now, I'm under no illusions that this will not be a brilliant bike, and that Raleigh aren't the same company they once were. But in your honest opinions, could it do me for a couple of months until I can afford something a bit better? Really can't stretch to anything more at the minute, but I'm looking for something to get me out and about a couple of times a week.

Cheers for any advice.

Edited by Gaz

Guys, I posted the other day about looking for a cheap second-hand road bike. Originally I had a budget of about £200, but as some will have seen on the PTTGOYN thread, our wee cat was hit by a car and needed an op - thankfully he's doing fine, but my budget has taken a bit of a hit.

I've found a guy selling a Raleigh Airlite 100 for the princely sum of £90. It was previously advertised at £100 and has been re-advertised, so maybe I can get another tenner or so off the price.

Now, I'm under no illusions that this will not be a brilliant bike, and that Raleigh aren't the same company they once were. But in your honest opinions, could it do me for a couple of months until I can afford something a bit better? Really can't stretch to anything more at the minute, but I'm looking for something to get me out and about a couple of times a week.

Cheers for any advice.

Nothing wrong with this bike at all, and if it's in decent nick, that's a right good price too.

You won't have lost anything if you go ahead and buy this. Raleigh is on the way back, and they are now making pro level bikes again. This looks like a very decent first road bike, IMO.

PS - hope the cat is recovering okay, and get pet insurance ;)

ETA:

Bikeradar review - this is basically the online site for the Cycling Plus magazine group, and you can trust their reviews. They rate it highly:

Good Review

Edited by Drooper

Nothing wrong with this bike at all, and if it's in decent nick, that's a right good price too.

You won't have lost anything if you go ahead and buy this. Raleigh is on the way back, and they are now making pro level bikes again. This looks like a very decent first road bike, IMO.

PS - hope the cat is recovering okay, and get pet insurance ;)

ETA:

Bikeradar review - this is basically the online site for the Cycling Plus magazine group, and you can trust their reviews. They rate it highly:

Good Review

Cheers - will hopefully hear back from the boy soon :)

Weather was smashing here over the weekend so I went out to banchory, round Scolty Hill and back to Aberdeen. The Aberdeen - Banchory - Aberdeen legs totalled ~ 40 miles.

Got stuck behind some runners out doing a run (surprisingly enough) and that held me up. Still, it was a fantastic cycle.

http://www.endomondo...uts/pA785frnSJo

http://www.endomondo...uts/pCsJCCfmrhs

This has just made my morning :lol:

In the Edinburgh Bicycle shop at the weekend (looking at bike stuff surprisingly enough :lol: ) and have decided to change my rear cassette to one with fewer teeth on the lowest gear as I am finding I am spinning too much at top speed. If that doesnt work I may have to change the front one but as they guy suggested try the cheapest option first. So at a cost of about £25 that is what I am going to do.

Well, I heard back from the boy, went along and bought the bike. Couldn't budge him down from £90 but I'm happy with it :)

Just been out for a 19.87km cycle (according to Edomondo) and did it in 1:06:31. This included having to push the bike for about a minute a couple of times around the hills of Avonbridge, and having to stop for 3-4 minutes to sort my chain.

Some of the speeds (for a runner / mountain biker like me) are pretty frightening - my top speed was nearly 40km/h!

Well, I heard back from the boy, went along and bought the bike. Couldn't budge him down from £90 but I'm happy with it :)

Just been out for a 19.87km cycle (according to Edomondo) and did it in 1:06:31. This included having to push the bike for about a minute a couple of times around the hills of Avonbridge, and having to stop for 3-4 minutes to sort my chain.

Some of the speeds (for a runner / mountain biker like me) are pretty frightening - my top speed was nearly 40km/h!

One of the hills in the Glasgow - Edinburgh cycle was in Avonbridge where you turn right from the main street and head out of the village (?) did you go up or down that one at all?

One of the hills in the Glasgow - Edinburgh cycle was in Avonbridge where you turn right from the main street and head out of the village (?) did you go up or down that one at all?

Nah, that heads towards Westfield into West Lothian. I went out of Avonbridge towards California.

That's a cracker of a hill, I was low gear all the way then at the top the only thing that limited my speed was the condition of the road and my fear of a bad pothole incident. I was doing about 55kph but others were passing me no probs at some rate.

Having bought a bike a couple of weeks ago I might start contributing to this thread.

First thing - I clearly need to buy some cycling shorts, in a wee bit of discomfort.

Secondly - Does anyone know if the cycle route from Kilmarnock to Irvine/Kilwinning is any good?

Thirdly, you see some great things out cycling that you wouldn't see in a car - I found this in Kilmarnock yesterday:

post-4520-0-84404700-1332767002_thumb.jp

Edited by Dindeleux