Official P&b Cycling Thread

Took Betsy the Hybrid out for a 33 mile spin this morning, a massive difference compared to the road bike, really good for climbing but rank rotten for speed which was a nuisance as I had decided to go for a flat fast cycle.

Still enjoyed it though.:D

I stuck the bike on the workstand this afternoon, and found that my chain was devoid of any lubrication, and really suffered from getting a soaking during the week. I had used a dry lube for the first time a few weeks ago, and this was obviously washed away without leaving a trace, and it really started grinding things up. So much so that I had to split it, soak it in degreaser, stick it back on and lube each link carefully. I'll leave it a day or so to penetrate fully (fnar, fnar). FFS, that dry lube might be okay in certain conditions, but it doesn't do hellish much to protect your bike's components. To be used with caution, I'd suggest.

You do know dry lube is for the "dry" and wet lube is for the "wet"?

I love this thread, makes me laugh at how thick you all are when it comes to bike maintenance

Edited by stevenc1991

I love this thread, makes me laugh at how thick you all are when it comes to bike maintenance

Well,he has to take it out on someone,might as well be us cyclists :D

Team: Rangers

Ah, bless

Go on, who's your big team?

Edited by NewBornBairn

It's ok, you'll be able to afford the bus fair this year.

Brilliant! Where's that gonna be? Will there be bus dodgems and bus roller-coasters?

It's ok, you'll be able to afford the bus fair this year.

Your contribution to this thread is as ever excellent.

I plead guilty. Maybe you'd give us a tutorial, Steven?

Yup If I had to guess which P&B member. would be an expert on lubes and their uses, it would be you every time mate.

Mind you, c***s and lubes tend to go a bit hand in hand

Edited by Unleash The Nade

My mate and I are cycling around Arran on Sunday 15th.

It's the longest cycle we will have done - think it's 5 miles longer than Edinburgh to Glasgow?

Anyway, any pointers etc what to do, what not to do, places to stop for food etc.

All advice greatly received :thumsup2

How'd you get on?

Me and Smurph are going to "attempt" this next week. I haven't been on a bike in around 5 years.

We don't intend on doing it all in 1 day(I think there is a road "through" the island back to Brodick?)

Any advice is welcome

EDIT: There is bike hire places in Brodick isn't there? Would prefer to hire than take my own for the sake of all the rest of the shite i'll be carrying

Edited by South Lanarkshire Jag

Several bike hire outlets in Brodick, SLJ. It's a long time since I hired one, but i think they're all much of a muchness. Not cheap, but will enhance your visit to the island. There is indeed a road across the centre of the island - the String Road from Brodick to Blackwaterfoot. Quite a climb, with the reward of a magic descent. Some tough climbing up the north-east of the island towards Lochranza. Take your time and enjoy it!

Several bike hire outlets in Brodick, SLJ. It's a long time since I hired one, but i think they're all much of a muchness. Not cheap, but will enhance your visit to the island. There is indeed a road across the centre of the island - the String Road from Brodick to Blackwaterfoot. Quite a climb, with the reward of a magic descent. Some tough climbing up the north-east of the island towards Lochranza. Take your time and enjoy it!

That's what we're intending on doing. Taking out time to do the journey. Stopping and starting a lot i'd imagine. We're not the fittest but we'll get there eventually.

Any recommendations of places to stop for any hidden gems? How much roughly will hiring a bike put us back?

That's what we're intending on doing. Taking out time to do the journey. Stopping and starting a lot i'd imagine. We're not the fittest but we'll get there eventually.

Any recommendations of places to stop for any hidden gems? How much roughly will hiring a bike put us back?

http://www.arranbikehire.com/prices.html

Macrie tearoom on the west side. Lighthouse cafe to the northwest (Pirnmill) are right on the road. Sunsets at Catacol. Stags wandering semi-tame in Lochranza. Seals on beach at Kildonan. Pierhead cafe, Lamlash. Coffee Pot, Whiting Bay.

I have a few questions

I think my cassette is loose, how do I tighten it?

also I am from motherwellish area, what interesting places are there to cycle to?

It depends on how its located. Some are screwed on threads to the hub, others are on splines and have a locking ring. Either way you need special tools, so unless you have them or you know someone who does, its probably a job for the LBS .....

I'm sure I read an article that explained that most 5,6.7 and some 8 speed cassettes are likely to be screw on, if its 9,10 or 11 speed it will be on splines.....

FWIW...... whilst it might be a loose cassette, I would be more inclined to think the bearings or the freewheel is the fault.........?

I have a few questions

I think my cassette is loose, how do I tighten it?

also I am from motherwellish area, what interesting places are there to cycle to?

Anywhere is interesting when you are from the motherwellish area.