Official P&b Cycling Thread

If anyone is looking for a first road bike or a second winter bike,I'm "possibly" selling my Specialized Allez

Frame:Specialized A1 Premium aluminium, fully manipulated tubing, smooth weld compact race design, integrated headsetFork:Specialized FACT carbon, carbon legs, aluminium crown and steererGears:Shimano 2300 Front / Shimano 2300 Rear / Chainset Shimano 2300 52/39

The reason I'm saying "possibly" is that one of my sons showed an interest in taking up cycling and I was going to give it to him,but he's still dithering,so its decission time for him.

You can still get this new and prices range from £510 -£600

http://www.google.co...ved=0CFMQ8wIwAw

Its only 8 months old and I've only done around 500 miles on it.

Its in mint condition and I'm selling it for £400.

If anyones interested,please PM me and I'll let you know in a day or so,on a first come first served basis.

You'd have to collect it and I live in Larbert

Cheers

specialized-allez-16-2011-road-bike.jpg

ETA suitable for someone 6" - 6" 3

*bump*

Thought I'd sold this,but let down last minute!

Anyone else interested let me know

Cheers

I used MapMyRide for the first time today (I installed it ages ago then kept forget to set it going).

It told me I went 10.84 miles at an average of 11.9mph

post-12065-0-20697300-1346361087_thumb.j

Edited by The Master

Come on here after weeks of absence to unashamedly pimp out your bike then disappear again...

I take it you're not interested then ???

I've treated myself to a new carbon framed bike and relegated my Cube to my winter bike, so this is excess to requirements

A cracking buy for someone looking for first road bike :)

I take it you're not interested then ???

I've treated myself to a new carbon framed bike and relegated my Cube to my winter bike, so this is excess to requirements

A cracking buy for someone looking for first road bike :)

Oh, go on then....tell us what you got.

Was out with the club tonight and knocked my pan in

12 of us in the group, but only 4 of us taking spells on the chain .

We did 25 miles averaging 23.2 mph but still got caught by the scratch group about half a mile from the finish ...... b*****ds!!

UTN, what difference to your average speed do you think it makes when you are riding in a group? I went out on my own last night and just did a 17 mile spin but averaged only 17.5mph. Now I think I am a reasonably strong cyclist and the wind was strong but to get to the kind of average speed your group gets to seems a long way away for me!

Also, when you are bowling along the flat do you spin in an easier gear (popular on tour at the moment) or do you engage a tough gear and grind along? I prefer the grind method.

UTN, what difference to your average speed do you think it makes when you are riding in a group? I went out on my own last night and just did a 17 mile spin but averaged only 17.5mph. Now I think I am a reasonably strong cyclist and the wind was strong but to get to the kind of average speed your group gets to seems a long way away for me!

Also, when you are bowling along the flat do you spin in an easier gear (popular on tour at the moment) or do you engage a tough gear and grind along? I prefer the grind method.

I know you're seeking the response of our resident club beast, but I'll pitch my tuppence worth in.

Chatting to a few guys when I went out with the local club, I think riding in a decent sized group is good for an additional 3 - 4 mph, by all accounts. I certainly found that I could bowl along at 20mph for miles at a time when I was sitting on someone else's wheel or tucked in behind a few riders - and this was when I wasn't at my fittest. The best I've managed on my own is an average of around 18mph over 25 miles or so.

I suspect UtN is now at a level where he could hold a pretty impressive average when out on his own, as it seems that joining a club is the way to go if you really want to enhance your riding skills, fitness, and speed. I just couldn't get into it, and my local club meet on a Saturday, and that is fitba' day.

A few pages back, I mentioned the cadence thing. Another thing the club guys told me was that it is worth riding at a higher cadence in an easier gear, as opposed to grinding it out. Like you, I'm inclined to try and turn a bigger gear, but when I tried the other approach, I found it much easier to maintain a decent pace over the piece. I reckon its worth experimenting in order to find out what suits you.

As I say, just my tuppence worth.

Edited by Drooper

I know you're seeking the response of our resident club beast, but I'll pitch my tuppence worth in.

Chatting to a few guys when I went out with the local club, I think riding in a decent sized group is good for an additional 3 - 4 mph, by all accounts. I certainly found that I could bowl along at 20mph for miles at a time when I was sitting on someone else's wheel or tucked in behind a few riders - and this was when I wasn't at my fittest. The best I've managed on my own is an average of around 18mph over 25 miles or so.

I suspect UtN is now at a level where he could hold a pretty impressive average when out on his own, as it seems that joining a club is the way to go if you really want to enhance your riding skills, fitness, and speed. I just couldn't get into it, and my local club meet on a Saturday, and that is fitba' day.

A few pages back, I mentioned the cadence thing. Another thing the club guys told me was that it is worth riding at a higher cadence in an easier gear, as opposed to grinding it out. Like you, I'm inclined to try and turn a bigger gear, but when I tried the other approach, I found it much easier to maintain a decent pace over the piece. I reckon its worth experimenting in order to find out what suits you.

As I say, just my tuppence worth.

Cheers for that Drooper, I agree with you, I reckon it must be worth about 3-4mph.

I am doing the PFS 110 miler on Sunday and have no one else I know doing it so I am kind of hoping to join in with a reasonable paced group and see how it goes.

I tried the increased cadence thing a week or so back and found my knees to be sore when I finished which is strange as you would expect this when grinding away.

Bought my brothers Boardman Road Pro 4 weeks ago having not cycled atall in 5 years. Got lots of kit with it and have spent an absolute fortune on more kit!

Been cycling 15 miles a day Monday to Friday to work and absolutely loving cycling! Not had any incidents yet with other road users but I did fall off like an absolute bawbag at red lights due to my feet being clipped in! That won't happen again I assure you!