Official P&b Cycling Thread

That's a decent time for what I assume is the longest cycle you have done to date. You are right about being aggressive, one tip would be not to relax on the easier and downhill sections, keep pedalling if you can to maintain a good average speed

I have to say I was very guilty of easing up on the easy and downhill sections, esp after Avonbridge and Limerigg, if I got up to 40kph+, I was happy to maintain that, and not pedalling rather than push past 50kph.

It can be hard to be aggressive on the challenge ride, you have to remember the crowd as you have kids and all sorts of levels of rider and the amount of people about.

Last year I found myself at the front of most of the leisure runners after Avonbridge and as there wasn't as many people about I could pick my own speed. I think from Linlithgow to Kirkliston last year I felt that I was alone, hardly anyone passed me, and I only passed a handful of people. This year I was back in the pack and I was being a bit more cautious at speed and passing people.

Some of the fully kitted out guys racing about look a bit stupid horsing passing guys in fancy dress, Tandems and kids on mountain bikes!

that sounds mental

Aye, it is a bit of a challenge. I reckon I could get myself in shape for it but if the weather is decent I'll probably die. I'm toying with the kop out idea which is pretty much the same course but one lap of everything instead of 2, so a 15k run and 70kish bike ride. I'll see how I feel in March. Been doing a lot of running around here and it is all hills, but even after just 8 weeks living here I can feel a massive difference in my fitness. Whether or not it can extend that far I'm not sure, but I'll give it a go. Think my biggest problem will be with my diet, but I'll see how it goes!

If you reckon you would be okay to run for 30k then I suspect you would be fine to do the cycling as (again I assume) you would do that first?

To train for that sort of distance it would be very much like how you would build yourself up for the run. Start off with shorter cycles on the flat then start to throw in some hill climbs and increasing your distance as you go. 145km represents (in my mind) 90 miles and I would reckon you would only need to do a 75 miler to be confident you would cope with 90.

Perhaps the key thing for you would be the kind of bike you are going to do it on. If you haven't been on one for 15 years I assume you don't own one that would be fit for purpose and they can be expensive to buy if you are going to purchase one. For 90 miles a road bike would obviously be your best bet and there are plenty of posts further back on this thread suggesting decent one's - indeed Unleash The Nade was selling a decent one but not sure if he still has it.

In terms of the speed and time for that distance I would have thought that an average speed of 17-18mph would be decent (dependent on the course) which would take you around 5 hours but if you are fit and on a flattish course speeds of 20mph plus would not be out of the question.

The fastest time for the PFS Sportive (100 timed miles) on Sunday was just under 5 hours and it was a brute of a course in windy conditions.

Hope this helps!

Pretty much what I expected, but good to see it down in writing. Had a look in a local bike shop here. Like everything in Switzerland, they were terrifyingly expensive. Will see if I can buy a cheap second hand one and just plough into getting some miles under my belt. One of the things I love about this country is the number of cycle and running routes there are, and almost all of them are kept in excellent condition. The event itself is every September, so I have plenty of time before I really need to start worrying about it. I just like the idea of the challenge and seeing just how far I can push myself.

Switzerland's quite hilly though I expect blink.gif

I've signed up for the Mokbike Challenge in Kintyre, doing the offroad route as a wee introduction to cyclocross riding. The website says applications close on the 8th September, but I called up and they're still taking entries for another couple of weeks.

From what I remember of the weather over there in October, it'll either be fantastic or brutal.

Switzerland's quite hilly though I expect blink.gif

I actually live in the flattest part of the country, going by the wikipedia page. That being true, I'd hate to see the hilly bits. The hills have been fantastic for my running. Much slower pace but far more effort going into it, and I've lost a power of weight despite putting less time into exercise than I was in Scotland. Just fancy setting myself a target and this was just screaming at me to give it a go.....

I wrote to Cucling Scotland about my timing chip not working and they have now confirmed my exact time as 7hrs 21 minutes and 35 seconds which puts me about 2 1/2 hours behind the quickest rider!!

Allowing for half an hour stop time (which I doubt he did) that still means that over 100 miles he was 2 hours quicker than me - fucking mental.

As are mine. I am interested in getting a bike but I am bit worried as it appears to limited to bikes from Halfords. I have tried to do some research but I am struggling to find any reviews of the bikes they have on offer (I think a hybrid is the best option for me) - does anyone have a link to a decent review/comparison site so I can follow this up?

Still looking into the whole cycle to work thing but could use some advice in terms of what I will need in terms of additional kit on top of the bike and how much I should be looking to spend (helmet, lights, shorts etc.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Still looking into the whole cycle to work thing but could use some advice in terms of what I will need in terms of additional kit on top of the bike and how much I should be looking to spend (helmet, lights, shorts etc.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First and foremost get yourself a helmet, to be honest they can range from £25 to £225 and only real difference is the weight which again only makes a difference in competitive cycling. If you are getting a hybrid to knock about on and do some medium length cycling then anything up to about £50 would be fine. I just bought this one http://www.evanscycl...helmet-ec025853

I have no lights on my road bike as I don't intend to cycle it during twilight hours but I do on my hybrid as I will use it for training on during the winter and occassionally at nights. Lights if I was to be honest do not really light the way that well and I just think it is too dangerous cycling on the roads at night.

Shorts are always a good idea and can also be expensive. Depends again what you are doing. I prefer lycra as it shows off my rippling muscles but a load of the guys I know use baggy type shorts still with arse padding which is pretty important.

I would also no be without my clip in pedals and cycling shoes but these could probably come later for you. You will probably be provided with pedals with straps on them and any old trainers would do until you feel the need for more speed!!

Other more sensible folk would also recommend buying spare inner tubes, tools, bum bags, pumps and all that jazzle but again not 100% necessary and something you can ask for for birthdays and xmas etc.

Edited by monkeyblair

First and foremost get yourself a helmet, to be honest they can range from £25 to £225 and only real difference is the weight which again only makes a difference in competitive cycling. If you are getting a hybrid to knock about on and do some medium length cycling then anything up to about £50 would be fine. I just bought this one http://www.evanscycl...helmet-ec025853

I have no lights on my road bike as I don't intend to cycle it during twilight hours but I do on my hybrid as I will use it for training on during the winter and occassionally at nights. Lights if I was to be honest do not really light the way that well and I just think it is too dangerous cycling on the roads at night.

Shorts are always a good idea and can also be expensive. Depends again what you are doing. I prefer lycra as it shows off my rippling muscles but a load of the guys I know use baggy type shorts still with arse padding which is pretty important.

I would also no be without my clip in pedals and cycling shoes but these could probably come later for you. You will probably be provided with pedals with straps on them and any old trainers would do until you feel the need for more speed!!

Other more sensible folk would also recommend buying spare inner tubes, tools, bum bags, pumps and all that jazzle but again not 100% necessary and something you can ask for for birthdays and xmas etc.

I was planning on using it for commuting so in the winter i might be using it around sunrise and sunset.

Would £100 be a reasonable sum to set aside for the bits and pieces to get me going?

As are mine. I am interested in getting a bike but I am bit worried as it appears to limited to bikes from Halfords. I have tried to do some research but I am struggling to find any reviews of the bikes they have on offer (I think a hybrid is the best option for me) - does anyone have a link to a decent review/comparison site so I can follow this up?

I know this isn't local for you, but it's a great place and the people are spot on... I bought my road bike from them (ages ago from their old shop)... The new shop is well worth a visit.. ;)

http://www.lesliebik...o.uk/index.html

I notice that they accept Halfords vouchers and mention the cycle to work scheme............ might be worth an e-mail....?

Edit for typo......:(

Edited by broon-loon

My linkAnyone ever used a belt drive rather than a chain? Thinking about getting the below:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-belter-12

The "zero" maintenance is v v appealing but I am sceptical that if and when it does go wrong it will be ££££££££££++

Edited by Arab on a bike

I was planning on using it for commuting so in the winter i might be using it around sunrise and sunset.

Would £100 be a reasonable sum to set aside for the bits and pieces to get me going?

If you're on a tight budget, buy the absolute essentials, and get the other bits and pieces as you go along.

If you intend to commute during the winter, I'd suggest the essentials are a high-viz, water-proof jacket, and decent lights. TBH, that could be your £100 accounted for already, but I wouldn't buy cheap shite, as your comfort, and, more importantly, your life, could depend on having decent quality kit.

I haven't mentioned a helmet - that goes without saying. Monkeyblair's advice on that is spot-on.

In terms of lights, they fall into two main categories. Be-seen lights are to alert others (ie: motor vehicles) to your presence, while lights to help you see where you are going are higher end, and therefore more expensive for something decent. I use a combination of both for my commute. Obviously, all rear lights fall into the first category, and it is worth having two on your bike. One with a static light, which is better for assisting drivers behind you judge how close you are, while a flashing rear light makes you stand out more.

For front lights, I've got a very powerful rechargeable unit. It is almost as bright as a car headlight, and is fantastic for lighting the road ahead, especially in areas with few or no street lights. It is important to judge the tilt of the light, though, so as not to blind oncoming motorists. I also have a 'be-seen' light at the front - mainly as a standby in case the main light fails, but will also have this on flash mode from time-to-time.

Dawn and dusk are the times when it is most crucial to ensure that you pay attention to how visible you are to others, as the light conditions are tricky. When its very dark, any bike light is more obvious. During the day takes care of itself unless you go for the ninja approach. A high-vis jacket with some reflective trim, and other reflective bits and pieces on bags, wristbands etc., all help. I don't think you can be too obvious when out on the roads in the late autumn winter. Some folk might think I go a bit OTT in this department, but that is plain daft, IMO. You can't rely on other people to keep you safe.

Edited by Drooper

If you're on a tight budget, buy the absolute essentials, and get the other bits and pieces as you go along.

If you intend to commute during the winter, I'd suggest the essentials are a high-viz, water-proof jacket, and decent lights. TBH, that could be your £100 accounted for already, but I wouldn't buy cheap shite, as your comfort, and, more importantly, your life, could depend on having decent quality kit.

I haven't mentioned a helmet - that goes without saying. Monkeyblair's advice on that is spot-on.

In terms of lights, they fall into two main categories. Be-seen lights are to alert others (ie: motor vehicles) to your presence, while lights to help you see where you are going are higher end, and therefore more expensive for something decent. I use a combination of both for my commute. Obviously, all rear lights fall into the first category, and it is worth having two on your bike. One with a static light, which is better for assisting drivers behind you judge how close you are, while a flashing rear light makes you stand out more.

For front lights, I've got a very powerful rechargeable unit. It is almost as bright as a car headlight, and is fantastic for lighting the road ahead, especially in areas with few or no street lights. It is important to judge the tilt of the light, though, so as not to blind oncoming motorists. I also have a 'be-seen' light at the front - mainly as a standby in case the main light fails, but will also have this on flash mode from time-to-time.

Dawn and dusk are the times when it is most crucial to ensure that you pay attention to how visible you are to others, as the light conditions are tricky. When its very dark, any bike light is more obvious. During the day takes care of itself unless you go for the ninja approach. A high-vis jacket with some reflective trim, and other reflective bits and pieces on bags, wristbands etc., all help. I don't think you can be too obvious when out on the roads in the late autumn winter. Some folk might think I go a bit OTT in this department, but that is plain daft, IMO. You can't rely on other people to keep you safe.

I am trying to set the budget and want to make sure I account for everything. There is no point in getting a voucher for £500 for a bike but then having to shell out another £100-£200 on the accessories. The cycle to work vouchers include accessories so I want make sure I apply for a voucher which will give me enough to purchase what I need.

I have been ou running in the dark during the winter so I appreciate the need to be seen and have some hi vis stuff already.

The advice so far has been very helpful thanks.

I am trying to set the budget and want to make sure I account for everything. There is no point in getting a voucher for £500 for a bike but then having to shell out another £100-£200 on the accessories. The cycle to work vouchers include accessories so I want make sure I apply for a voucher which will give me enough to purchase what I need.

I have been ou running in the dark during the winter so I appreciate the need to be seen and have some hi vis stuff already.

The advice so far has been very helpful thanks.

Given that you'll be looking at what is effectively a 40% discount on accessories over and above the bike itself, it would be worth sticking a couple of hundred on there to cover the things you're likely to need in due course. That way you'll ultimately be paying a lot less than you would if you pick stuff up as you go along.

My advice would be to get a good set of rechargeable lights for your commute.

Given that you'll be looking at what is effectively a 40% discount on accessories over and above the bike itself, it would be worth sticking a couple of hundred on there to cover the things you're likely to need in due course. That way you'll ultimately be paying a lot less than you would if you pick stuff up as you go along.

My advice would be to get a good set of rechargeable lights for your commute.

Helmets a must do, some people don't like and are very anti, but for me it's an easy call as it will help if your noggin hits the deck.

I didn't go for rechargeable lights, but lights with AA batteries that I replaced with rechargeable batteries instead. I go these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-hl-el135-and-tl-ld150-light-set/ . Not the brightest out there, but more than adequate and they were good in the bang for buck stakes. If you're commuting can perhaps justify more than me.They get kept on solid mode, but I also have a cheap set of lights as well, which are set to flash.

Get 2 locks if leaving outside. One heavy duty D lock, the other a small wire type. Keep the lightest or easiest to carry with you and leave the heavy duty one secured to where you'll normally park. All locks are beatable but if you have 2 different types it will often be too much of a pain to a thief as it might require 2 different bits of equipment to remove and more time.

Borrowed the faither in laws old mountain bike and went out for the first time in about 15 years. Managed just under 20k in about 70 minutes. Took a good hour for my legs to recover when I got home. Too many hills in Switzerland for my liking. Trying to decide whether or not I could cope with a run this afternoon....