Official P&b Cycling Thread

Looking for a turbo trainer for over the winter. Any recommendations? :)

They're noisy and vibrate a fair bit, well mine does.........

I bought one last winter, it was under a hundred quid ........but it does the job at my level.....:(

6 or 7 levels of resistance via a cable you attach to the bars. I doubt if Bradley Wiggins or Chris Hoy use this machine but they probably don't drink as much beer as I do.....:angel

I surfed around e-bay and found some links and finally took the plunge.

I used it in the house last winter and my daughter moaned like f**k at the noise...... :P

Seriously though, I hear the air resistant jobs are cheaper, but really noisy. The yellow thing I bought is Magnetic I believe, but it's also noisy ...!

Have a look on you tube and you will hear them in action ....

Yeah I've heard the magnetic ones are quieter than the air ones, so that's what I'm looking at. Going to put it up in the loft so hopefully noise won't be too much of an issue.

I used a turbo trainer occasionally last winter. It's a magnetic affair and isn't too noisy but is bloody hard work. I watched the BBC iPlayer on the laptop while using it to combat the boredom.

One thing I would recommend, though, is that you set up a fan (as in 'shit hitting the....') nearby, because you'll overheat and sweat like a labourer's arse crack using the turbo.

Edited by Drooper

My f&*king chain broke 35 miles from home and just about the time of the last train. rolleyes.gif Ended up having to "sleep" (i.e sit around with the eyes closed being a bit cold) till the first train at 5:30.

Still at least it was still summer. Could have been pretty bloody uncomfortable a few months later in the year.

Well done Sir.... It looks your a "clipped in" soldier now...?

Aye - but I've had helluva sore knees ever since that ride, my first serious one clipped in. Don't know if it's a new bike not set up quite right, too high a gear, the cleats or my knees just giving up.

Found this though, that seems to give good advice http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

Yeah I've heard the magnetic ones are quieter than the air ones, so that's what I'm looking at. Going to put it up in the loft so hopefully noise won't be too much of an issue.

This is the one that I have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BT577G/ref=asc_df_B000BT577G9727810?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000BT577G

Not sure you really need one with a gear shifter, I use the gears on the bike for that purpose!!

They are a wee bit noisy but not too bad, I watch Sky Go on the laptop or listen to music when on mine and don't really notice the noise.

What I would say is make sure your loft will be well ventilated or you are capable of opening windows? It will get a hell of a hot which is why mine is in the draughty garage.

Not clever enough to show pictures from Pedal for Scotland on here but my bib number was 9012 to prove I made it to the end too!!

If that doesn't work just put in 'fucked looking c***s' in the wordsearch, I'm sure I will be there.

Edited by monkeyblair

This is the one that I have

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000BT577G

Not sure you really need one with a gear shifter, I use the gears on the bike for that purpose!!

They are a wee bit noisy but not too bad, I watch Sky Go on the laptop or listen to music when on mine and don't really notice the noise.

What I would say is make sure your loft will be well ventilated or you are capable of opening windows? It will get a hell of a hot which is why mine is in the draughty garage.

What's the difference between that and the rollers I believe you can get? Hoping to train through the winter to push myself on.

Also, I assume you can attach any bike to it? I'd be using it mainly for my road bike, but the wife might want to use it for her mountain bike.

After doing the challenge ride in pedal for Scotland (my first one), I've signed up for the bank's internal one in a couple of weeks. There are three routes - bronze, silver and gold, all leaving from and returning to Callander.

I'm going to attempt the silver route which is 54 miles. Should be OK although I'm weary of how hilly it is going to be. 1,100m of ascent in total. The gears on my bike are crap for hills. Need to get those sorted. :(

What's the difference between that and the rollers I believe you can get? Hoping to train through the winter to push myself on.

Also, I assume you can attach any bike to it? I'd be using it mainly for my road bike, but the wife might want to use it for her mountain bike.

Rollers require more skill and concentration by all accounts. I think it takes a while to get used to using them, and inevitably results in a few spills while getting the hang of it. Looks like a laugh, for all that.

I fancy rollers, as it seems to me that they would be more like the real thing. Using a turbo is pretty tedious, TBH. When I finally get my man-shed erected next year, I think I'll invest in rollers (assuming I can fit them in, what with the beer fridge, La-Z-boy, and table football :) ).

do these roller things just clip on and save you from moving?

No, rollers are best thought of as a treadmill for bikes. Nothing securing you to the rollers at all.