Official P&b Cycling Thread

I intended to build my own bike this year, but it didn't come to anything. The plan was to polish up my maintenance skills and also have a unique, bespoke bike at the end. The plan didn't seem so attractive when I started to price components, though. Off the shelf bikes benefit from economies of scale, and you can buy a bike that costs the same as the groupset and frame alone, but obviously includes wheels, stem, seatpost, saddle, etc....etc....

Don't get me wrong, I still fancy the idea, and will always be on the lookout to scavenge bits from here and there, but I reckon you could buy a better-specced ready-built bike for £700 than you would end up with if you built it up yourself (unless you inend to beg, borrow, and/or steal the bits).

This is spot on IMO....

A couple of years ago I really did think this was an option and I browsed endless magazines reading and pricing components. Sadly the reality set in and of course it hasn't happened. :(

I could live with spending a wee bit more to create my bespoke machine and it might happen one day.....?

Sorry, not reading the last 100 pages, but has anyone tried a Boardman bike, any good?

I don't have one, but have read many magazine reports which are very favourable. It seems you get a lot of bike for your buck...

It ulimately comes down to the model as there are so many to choose from. They also tend to use Sram groupsets which you either love or hate.. I quite fancy a go with Sram TBH...

Not sure if Halfords being the agent is in their favour though............:unsure:

Ta. Quite fancy the top-end Hybrid for nipping about in, very light for a metal frame. And the team carbon road bike, I could go on... (If you watch that Halfords site you can typically find them on sale for a period where he knocks a couple of hundred quid off although probably not now in the lead to Christmas).

I have a Boardman Hybrid (Comp 2011 version) and it is the best bike I have ever ridden, I would definitely recommend the Comp. In fact I have a spare one for sale if interested????

I intended to build my own bike this year, but it didn't come to anything. The plan was to polish up my maintenance skills and also have a unique, bespoke bike at the end. The plan didn't seem so attractive when I started to price components, though. Off the shelf bikes benefit from economies of scale, and you can buy a bike that costs the same as the groupset and frame alone, but obviously includes wheels, stem, seatpost, saddle, etc....etc....

Don't get me wrong, I still fancy the idea, and will always be on the lookout to scavenge bits from here and there, but I reckon you could buy a better-specced ready-built bike for £700 than you would end up with if you built it up yourself (unless you inend to beg, borrow, and/or steal the bits).

I reckon if I just invest in a decent frame and wheelset, I'd be able to scavenge other parts from my current bike, and maybe a few upgrades here and there.

Thanks good to know. I have not decided if I will go for the full blown road bike or the hybrid. I have also been holding out hoping he would do a hybrid with a carbon frame (but it is so light already I am not sure it will make a huge difference if he does). Thanks for the offer I'll bear it in mind.

Are you buying a tandem for you and SS 18, or will you just be giving him a 'backie ' ? :angry:

Two sheets of plywood from B&Q,hey presto, a home built bike for £15.00

woodebbicycle-large.jpg

Can anyone recommend a moderately-priced pair of full-finger gloves?

The ones I've got don't seem to be very effective and left my fingers freezing this morning!

I bought 2 pairs of cheap gloves that were absolutely no use. I shelled out a bit extra for a pair of Goretex Windstopper gloves and they are tremendous. It's worth paying a bit extra for gloves that actually do the job.

This untrendy old cyclist thinks that a lot of kit for cyclists is overpriced once it's decided that it's specifically for cycling - gloves would be an example. I use my ordinary gloves and am perfectly happy. In my view, only the shorts are necessarily for cycling.

This untrendy old cyclist thinks that a lot of kit for cyclists is overpriced once it's decided that it's specifically for cycling - gloves would be an example. I use my ordinary gloves and am perfectly happy. In my view, only the shorts are necessarily for cycling.

I'd agree with this. I'm by no means a hardcore cycler but the only bit of specific kit I have bought was a pair of padded cycling shorts, a helmet and a pair of cheap gloves. I cycle in shorts and a football top, with my running leggings if it's cold.

Can anyone recommend a moderately-priced pair of full-finger gloves?

The ones I've got don't seem to be very effective and left my fingers freezing this morning!

Im using these just now http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Madison-Stellar-Waterproof-Long-Finger-Gloves_42163.htm

They are excellent and if you shop about you will pick them up for about £15

Ta for the ideas.

The problem I found with normal gloves is the lack of grip (stop sniggering at the back). But I came up with a solution this morning - fingerless cycling gloves over ordinary woollen ones. Nice and warm.

I doubt they'll be so good in wet weather, though, so I might still suggest the above two recommendations to Santa ;)

When I got into work this morning, my hands were so cold I felt physically sick :(

I was wearing waterproof, windproof, Polaris winter gloves, but my circulation seems to be fucked recently, so I'm not sure if even the most expensive gloves would do that grand a job. I'm fine up to about 2 - 3 degrees, but anything below that is nightmarish.

The roads were very dodgy on the road home, so the bike will be staying in the shed tomorrow, unfortunately (at least me fingers will remain attached to my hands).

When I got into work this morning, my hands were so cold I felt physically sick :(

I was wearing waterproof, windproof, Polaris winter gloves, but my circulation seems to be fucked recently, so I'm not sure if even the most expensive gloves would do that grand a job. I'm fine up to about 2 - 3 degrees, but anything below that is nightmarish.

http://www.raynauds.org.uk/raynauds/raynauds

The roads were very dodgy on the road home, so the bike will be staying in the shed tomorrow, unfortunately (at least me fingers will remain attached to my hands).

Tried silk inner gloves? Also look at motorbike gloves for the outers. Heavy leather is not popular with cyclists but with modern touch shifters its possible.