Official P&b Cycling Thread

What does a garmin do that strava doesnt?

In theory not much but it has a much better battery life & GPS receiver than my phone (no more getting home to find sports tracker crashed or my phone died). It's waterproof and the touch screen works even with gloves on. The display screens are fully customisable so you can have any mix of info being displayed and you can have ghosts on it so you've got a target to ride against if you're on riding your own. Oh and it takes about 2 secs to upload your data to strava. Edited by penguinsknees

The thing is it's only as expensive as you want it to be. You can get a bike and a helmet for £50 and you're away.

I am questioning treating myself to a Garmin. Sadly the budget probably won't stretch to the Edge 810. Has anyone got one of the lower models?

I bought the Edge 200 last summer. It was on a discount deal at halfords as well as money back from garmin if you claimed within a certain period of time.

I think you can get an Edge 200 for around £90 or even less if you shop around..?

I really like it, it isn't too fancy and does everything I need. You download data to Garmin Connect, this allows you to view and compare as well as plan routes.

I also use it for recording walks, I just pop it in a pocket.

What does a garmin do that strava doesnt?

Sorry I can't answer that, all I know is that the Garmin can record up to approx' 18 hours of data. A workmate uses his mobile to record his cycling efforts and he says it drains the battery fairly quickly.

I'd guess you can mount the Garmin on your handlebar so can view realtime stats rather than reviewing at the end of your ride on strava. Also appears to have a SatNav function of sorts, handy if you are not in your local parish.

I bought the Edge 200 last summer. It was on a discount deal at halfords as well as money back from garmin if you claimed within a certain period of time.

I think you can get an Edge 200 for around £90 or even less if you shop around..?

I really like it, it isn't too fancy and does everything I need. You download data to Garmin Connect, this allows you to view and compare as well as plan routes.

I also use it for recording walks, I just pop it in a pocket.

Sorry I can't answer that, all I know is that the Garmin can record up to approx' 18 hours of data. A workmate uses his mobile to record his cycling efforts and he says it drains the battery fairly quickly.

The battery life is one part of it. Strava guzzles the battery life because of the location services.

If I see a good deal on the 200 I may take the plunge.

The battery life is one part of it. Strava guzzles the battery life because of the location services.

If I see a good deal on the 200 I may take the plunge.

I got a good deal on the 500. Really happy with it. Just wait for a birthday and demand vouchers or cash lol

After about 5 years away from cycling due to various reasons I want to get back into it a wee bit. However I need a bike I want to go out a couple of times a week and do between 5-10 miles each time mostly road use with the occasional bridelpath park and cobbled street.I've had a look on ebay gumtree etc and they either have rusty old shite or stuff that cost's £200 so the question is this. I am considering the £80 solid frame 18 speed basic bikes from the likes of argos or halfords are these alright for what I want or are they just a bit too shitey.

Depends on how fast you want to ride and how much you don't mind tinkering. A bike in that price range will probably be fairly heavy with cheap components, but there are plenty of good videos on YouTube which show you how to fix stuff. Have you considered checking out the police lost property auctions or free cycle, up here in Aberdeen there is a place which fixes up bikes and rents them out for free for months at a time, kinda like a bike library

After about 5 years away from cycling due to various reasons I want to get back into it a wee bit. However I need a bike I want to go out a couple of times a week and do between 5-10 miles each time mostly road use with the occasional bridelpath park and cobbled street.I've had a look on ebay gumtree etc and they either have rusty old shite or stuff that cost's £200 so the question is this. I am considering the £80 solid frame 18 speed basic bikes from the likes of argos or halfords are these alright for what I want or are they just a bit too shitey.

My hybrid was £95 on Gumtree, and although a bit old, there hasn't been a problem with it in the three months I've had it. I use it pretty much on the same terrain as you described. You should keep an eye on Gumtree/eBay, you're bound to find something eventually.

If you are ever in Edinburgh there's the bikestation you'd get a decent bike for £80 off them & although it'll have been recycled it comes with a guarantee & fully serviced. There's other bikestations about too but I can only recommend the Edinburgh 1 cos that's the 1 I've used.

Grimbo

Get yourself to a Decathlon store, look on-line before you go. Take time out and visit a store to be sure. The bike you need is there and it won't break the bank.

Was there a full moon last night? I've just had one of my most eventful commutes in a while.

Started with a bus trying to overtake me on a dual carriageway while I was overtaking another bus, followed by a white van man taking exception to being held up for 5 seconds as I went through a pinch point. Then a support vehicle for the local bus company turned across my path as I was filtering (in a cycle lane), which in turn caused someone to emerge from the side street ("he went, so I went" philosophy, presumably).

I usually average less than one arsehole every couple of days. Hopefully that's the quota reached for the next fortnight.

Anybody done the Bike to work scheme? I've used the calculator and it's giving me a great saving, even on a modest bike price.

I'm waiting on a "Letter of collection" for £600 through my work. After tax and national insurance reductions I only pay £342 over 12 or 18 months. I've got my eye on a wee folding electric bike which will fit in the boot of a car, a van, bus, train or driving cab. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_942671_langId_-1_categoryId_211566 Handy for a 3 mile commute.

I did the cycle to work scheme two years ago, some basturd nicked the bike though.

Cycle to work explained. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_14552_productId_563154_langId_-1_categoryId_173020

Edited by Tryfield