Official P&b Cycling Thread

Got a decent few miles under my belt over the weekend, back on the turbo during the week this driving to work at the min is no good.

Need the weather to pick up so i can go strava hunting for some KOM's titles lol

Wellfan thats you finally added to Strava. If we have any other fellow straa users or endo get following each other

Edited by paisleysaints

First venture out of the year this morning, it shames me to say.

Again, I was blowing out my hin' end on the commute - a route that shouldn't even leave me feeling as though as I've swung a leg over the bike by the time I arrive at work.

That said, I feel better for getting back out, and though it is a relatively short commute (albeit hilly - especially homeward bound), I reckon it might be the kick-start to the year I needed. The bike still riding really well considering it has been neglected for a good few weeks, so that's a plus. No excuses now, my season starts in earnest!

Again, I was blowing out my hin' end on the commute - a route that shouldn't even leave me feeling as though as I've swung a leg over the bike by the time I arrive at work.

That said, I feel better for getting back out, and though it is a relatively short commute (albeit hilly - especially homeward bound), I reckon it might be the kick-start to the year I needed. The bike still riding really well considering it has been neglected for a good few weeks, so that's a plus. No excuses now, my season starts in earnest!

Well done Sir.... BTW, did you use the road bike...?

I still have to get off my lazy fat ar*e, but when I do I'm gonna use the MTB as some of the roads I use to and from work have taken a real battering.

TBH, I doubt if the road tyres and wheels would cope with my 'extra spare tyre' on board? :P

Got a decent few miles under my belt over the weekend, back on the turbo during the week this driving to work at the min is no good.

Need the weather to pick up so i can go strava hunting for some KOM's titles lol

Wellfan thats you finally added to Strava. If we have any other fellow straa users or endo get following each other

I wish I had the time to put in the miles you seem to batter through. Sadly, with the shifts I get in work it's near enough impossible :( .

I done 9.9 miles in 39 minutes according to Strava there. Had to cram it in between going to Ikea this morning and starting work at 4. Feel fresh though I've not been out on the bike in a while, but I have been knocking lumps out the turbo.

I was thinking while I was out, would there be scope for a P&B run? Alright, we're from all over the place but I'm sure we could all meet in a central location like Glasgow Green type of place and go from there. Not for a hammer and tongs tear up, but a sociable run type of thing.

Sorry folks much too big a thread to look through but I'm looking for a bike. Nothing too fancy but I think i'd like one of the hybrid bikes. Anybody recommend a shop or retailer to me?

Set yourself a budget first as its a minefield out there and you'll be bamboozled with choice.

Once you do that, let us know and me and some of the guys on here will hopefully give you some good advice.

Let us know which area you're fromso can also recommend a decent retailer

Same here. Got the bike out of the shed to nip across town and I was puggled by the time I got there. Nice to feel the old burn in the legs though and it seems to have done wonders for the sore back that's been troubling me for weeks.

Sorry folks much too big a thread to look through but I'm looking for a bike. Nothing too fancy but I think i'd like one of the hybrid bikes. Anybody recommend a shop or retailer to me?

Set yourself a budget first as its a minefield out there and you'll be bamboozled with choice.

Once you do that, let us know and me and some of the guys on here will hopefully give you some good advice.

Let us know which area you're fromso can also recommend a decent retailer

Budget wise I'd be prepared to spend £500 but if I didn't need to I'd be delighted to find something decent for less. I live in Musselburgh mate.

Personally I'd recommend the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ I got my bike there and found them really friendly and helpful. It's worth noting that other bike shops speak highly of them too.

Edited by NewBornBairn

Well done Sir.... BTW, did you use the road bike...?

I still have to get off my lazy fat ar*e, but when I do I'm gonna use the MTB as some of the roads I use to and from work have taken a real battering.

TBH, I doubt if the road tyres and wheels would cope with my 'extra spare tyre' on board? :P

Cheers.

Aye, I took the road bike. The tyres had a lost a wee bit of air so I left them a bit softer than I normally would, and, having checked out the road as I drive to and from work, I had a good idea where the hazards were.

For all I'm a bit shagged physically, pyschologically it feels great to have got back out there. I find that if I have a longish lay-off, my road confidence wanes a bit, too, so getting out on the road again will have had more than just some physical benefit hopefully.

It seems that 25mm tyres are the new 23mm tyres, incidentally :o

Same here. Got the bike out of the shed to nip across town and I was puggled by the time I got there. Nice to feel the old burn in the legs though and it seems to have done wonders for the sore back that's been troubling me for weeks.

Definitely feels good to get back out. Lighter nights, and a wee spell of more clement weather should do the trick. We'll soon be scheduling another Team P&B ride!

You guys up for a Spring meet?

Personally I'd recommend the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ I got my bike there and found them really friendly and helpful. It's worth noting that other bike shops speak highly of them too.

Good shout.

I've only heard good things about them.

I dunno how you would search for any one but if you want to see my boring trips to work and badminton with the odd cycle elsewhere add me.

http://www.endomondo.com/profile/2854748

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1192542

quick bit of advice please as well. My tubing is now 80% puncture repair kit, my tubing size says 26x1.9/2.125 I can't find any with that exact size, what/where should i be looking at here?

quick bit of advice please as well. My tubing is now 80% puncture repair kit, my tubing size says 26x1.9/2.125 I can't find any with that exact size, what/where should i be looking at here?

I'm not sure I get what you mean, but tubes tend to cover a range of tyre sizes. It sounds like your tube will cover a tyre size fram 1.9 up to 2.125. To be honest, that's not much of a range for a tube. MTB tubes will often be compatible for tyres from, say 1.5 - 2.25. I'm guessing your tube should be okay as long as your tyre is sized between 1.9 and 2.125.

I'm not sure I get what you mean, but tubes tend to cover a range of tyre sizes. It sounds like your tube will cover a tyre size fram 1.9 up to 2.125. To be honest, that's not much of a range for a tube. MTB tubes will often be compatible for tyres from, say 1.5 - 2.25. I'm guessing your tube should be okay as long as your tyre is sized between 1.9 and 2.125.

So ceck my tyre size and get a tubing within the tyre measurements

i'm following you on both busta

I'm currently using a catseye as my speedo, I'm looking at the garmin 500 anyone got one

I've just got a 500 and had 1 ride with it.

So far it seems amazing, certianly doesn't drop GPS signals like my phone. And it has so many features, I've not even looked at half of them!

i'm following you on both busta

I'm currently using a catseye as my speedo, I'm looking at the garmin 500 anyone got one

I went for the lower spec 200 last summer.

It was on special offer in Halfords and there was a £30 refund from Garmin which took a while to arrive, but hey every penny counts... ;)

It certainly works a treat and does pretty much everything I need. Sometimes it takes a minute or so to find a signal (if I had to be critical)..and I think you can add a cadence sensor....? It doesnt have a H/R monitor.

You log your activities on Garmin Connect, not sure if you can share this with others though...?

My Daughter was also using it to monitor her running, but she now uses a Garmin Forerunner wrist strap thingy (110...?) which is obviously more convenient. TBH, you could use a device like this when on the bike to monitor your speed and log your route just as well though....