Official P&b Cycling Thread

5 hours ago, The Master said:

I'm wondering what people think of a situation I found myself in this morning.

I had to take my car to work today, and was going along a narrow-ish road that has parking on one side so is always give and take with oncoming traffic. For the direction I was going, the parking was on the right (i.e. oncoming traffic needed to use the wrong side of the road).

There was a cyclist coming towards me, and cars behind. Not a problem - there was a gap for him to wait in, big enough for a car. So I continued on my way. But instead of sitting in the gap, he continued, moving over to the left intending to pass between me and the parked cars. I stopped and tooted (warning of my presence, natch) which he objected to, claiming there was "plenty of room".

When I'm the cyclist in a scenario like that (needing to give-way to oncoming traffic) I treat it the same as motorists should while overtaking: there might be enough room for me and a car to sit side-by-side, but not safely while moving.  When the way is then clear, I take primary position to stop anyone trying to pass (in either direction) until I can pull in.

Am I over-cautious? Should I have just accepted the cyclist using his own judgement and kept on my way as normal? Should I have met half-way by stopping for my own reassurance but not objecting to him continuing?

He didn't seem interested in me trying to explain that it was his safety I was looking out for. He also had a camera on his helmet so I expect to find myself on YouTube before the morning is out. 

Imo you were doing exactly the right thing as regardless of an oncoming bike , car , van etc , you had the right of way .

The cyclist sounds like a complete twat  and obviously has scant disregard for his own safety 

6 hours ago, The Master said:

I had to take my car to work today, and was going along a narrow-ish road that has parking on one side so is always give and take with oncoming traffic. For the direction I was going, the parking was on the right (i.e. oncoming traffic needed to use the wrong side of the road).

There was a cyclist coming towards me, and cars behind. Not a problem - there was a gap for him to wait in, big enough for a car. So I continued on my way. But instead of sitting in the gap, he continued, moving over to the left intending to pass between me and the parked cars. I stopped and tooted (warning of my presence, natch) which he objected to, claiming there was "plenty of room".

When I'm the cyclist in a scenario like that (needing to give-way to oncoming traffic) I treat it the same as motorists should while overtaking: there might be enough room for me and a car to sit side-by-side, but not safely while moving.  When the way is then clear, I take primary position to stop anyone trying to pass (in either direction) until I can pull in.

Am I over-cautious? Should I have just accepted the cyclist using his own judgement and kept on my way as normal? Should I have met half-way by stopping for my own reassurance but not objecting to him continuing?

He didn't seem interested in me trying to explain that it was his safety I was looking out for. He also had a camera on his helmet so I expect to find myself on YouTube before the morning is out. 

If you can PM me the road details we'll set up a camera team and snare this angry Cyclist.   

He sounds like a fanny

On 11/15/2017 at 09:12, The Master said:

It depends on whether the cyclist was able to stay on his side of the road (ie leaving at least 50% of the width of the road to you).  If so, he'd done nothing wrong, otherwise he should have waited.

5 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

You should speak to your mate Humza Yousaf and see if the Government will take action!

There's more transportation methods than road cycling.  Humza will be concentrating on the problems we're experiencing on the trains ( a train consists of an engine carriage which pulls a number of passenger carriages along rail tracks) and won't be interested in investigating a dubious piece of road cycling.   This is where the C.A.S.T team come is the bridge the gap between the SG, NGOs and the general public.  

Allow Humza to get on with his job.  The world doesnt revolve around you Statts.  You're not the moon! 

2 hours ago, PB 4.2 said:

There's more transportation methods than road cycling.  Humza will be concentrating on the problems we're experiencing on the trains ( a train consists of an engine carriage which pulls a number of passenger carriages along rail tracks) and won't be interested in investigating a dubious piece of road cycling.   This is where the C.A.S.T team come is the bridge the gap between the SG, NGOs and the general public.  

Allow Humza to get on with his job.  The world doesnt revolve around you Statts.  You're not the moon! 

So I take it he wasn’t interested in your group when you were in talks with him then?

Anyway, if you are now a proper pressure group helping out the government then maybe you should get in touch with the proper CAST.  They might help you develop an online presence for your make believe group!

http://www.wearecast.org.uk/

Edited by statts1976uk
Spelling

1 minute ago, statts1976uk said:

Surely he isn’t as daft as to suggest the Earth revolves around the Moon!

Probably, he’s certainly thick enough .

However rather disturbingly , not only does he purchase the shit car brands driven by  Alan Partridge , he now starts quoting him .

As I’ve said before, a sad ,lonely and unstable individual crying out for some attention 

15 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Probably, he’s certainly thick enough .

However rather disturbingly , not only does he purchase the shit car brands driven by  Alan Partridge , he now starts quoting him .

As I’ve said before, a sad ,lonely and unstable individual crying out for some attention 

Partridge doesn't drive a Kia.   

26 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

Surely he isn’t as daft as to suggest the Earth revolves around the Moon!

It's a line from this.  

4 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

If I agree with you then we'll both be wrong.  

Haha, you’ve provided me with enough sport for today with the orbital path of the Moon, inability to spot a Kia and tales of heading up pressure groups to assist your old friend Humza!

In all seriousness, instead of using an exercise bike buy a turbo trainer with feedback and subscribe to Zwift or BKool. That way you can cycle against other people on different courses and get information on speed and power. It’s much more interesting than an exercise bike and your cycling stroke will be more efficient for exercise and muscle building.