Golfers Thread

Gaz

37 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Nah. Sergio is petulant, spoiled, badly behaved and frankly seems a bit unstable (that has always been the case, all through his career, and hot-headedness is one of the things which made him interesting) but he is also Europe's greatest Ryder Cup player of all time, and deserved some respect based on that, if nothing else. When he left for LIV (a bad look, I agree; LIV is rubbish and he did it for the money) he was not only fined and condemned by his peers but was essentially cut off/ghosted by Rory on a personal level, even though Rory was best man at his wedding. Rory now suddenly says no one should be fined after all, LIV players should be eligible for the Ryder Cup, and the two of them appear to have made up when Sergio reached out.  Rory must be a poor judge of character (or have been totally blinded by PGA Tour zeal) to have gone from close friends/best man to hating Sergio for going to play golf somewhere else he didn't approve of.

I don't think Sergio deserved all the slagging.  I do agree with you that the guys who went to LIV first, basically as a final huge pay off late in their careers, copped far more heat than Rahm, Hatton or Meronk are now.  The latter are still stepping away from proper tour golf and bagging masses of Saudi cash. Meanwhile, the European / Dubai Ports tour is a hollowed out shell and the golf world is in flux.

Hopefully this is all sorted out soon and a unified approach with various different backers can be agreed.  The politics of it all are so, so boring at this stage.

PS Sergio winning the Masters remains in my Top 3 favourite majors along with Lyle '88 and Stenson '16 (another LIVver - boo, hiss, etc.).

Before Sergio left the DP World Tour he was publically slating it, and even Boab made comment about an incident where he made a c**t of himself in the dressing room.

People can be good golfers and be complete arseholes, the good golf in his past doesn't excuse the way he acted when he left for LIV. Respect is gained but it can also be lost. 

7 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I used to enjoy watching the golf.  Can't be bothered with the LIV tour and fast losing interest in the PGA.

The DP World Tour is a great watch IMO. I said a few posts back that I’d been watching more of the PGA Tour due to Bob’s involvement but my word are those filler events a drag. The DP social media content always tends to be top notch as well. A far better product all round than what the PGA Tour is producing.

29 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The DP World Tour is a great watch IMO. I said a few posts back that I’d been watching more of the PGA Tour due to Bob’s involvement but my word are those filler events a drag. The DP social media content always tends to be top notch as well. A far better product all round than what the PGA Tour is producing.

I think what helps aswell is the Yanks having adbreaks after every flipping shot 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Dan Rap saying it's a done deal apparently.

This 3billion deal is with a group of investors headed by the Fenway sports group who own Liverpool and it's rewarding players who reject Liv and the Liv deal is agreed in principal but still has got to be okayed by the US Senate im reading because the Saudi boy is getting sued over there ,it's a bit of a kefuffle 

There'll definitely be some sort of deal, assuming it gets through senate. I'm not sure the likes of Rahm would have gone if he wasn't fairly confident some sort of compromise was in the offing that would at least protect his Ryder Cup status. 

What this investment does is strengthen the hand of the PGA tour in the negotiations. 

Is this the lawsuit from the families of 9/11 victims due to the quite considerable evidence that the Saudi’s had a hand in the funding and logsitics of it? 
That in itself baffles me with the ‘louder’ American golf fans who like LIV, most tend to be fleg waving ‘usa-usa-usa’ loudmouths but fanboy a tour headed by the mob that led to the biggest incident on US soil since Pearl Harbour. 

37 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is this the lawsuit from the families of 9/11 victims due to the quite considerable evidence that the Saudi’s had a hand in the funding and logsitics of it? 
That in itself baffles me with the ‘louder’ American golf fans who like LIV, most tend to be fleg waving ‘usa-usa-usa’ loudmouths but fanboy a tour headed by the mob that led to the biggest incident on US soil since Pearl Harbour. 

Think that's a different one this one is "antitrust" around the finances 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My brother and I are going to try and play one of the st andrews area links courses at the start of march, any recommendations from anyone?

Fairmont and play the Torrance or kittocks or play them both in one day usually cheap deals floating about .Castle course is also decent 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Got a deal through work for those for £45? But didnt know if it was better to pay £60 for the new course? Think the castle is closed?

New course just to walk and play on the hallowed ground it's quite a decent course .I always forget about the Dukes it's decent but pricey but a wee bit outside St Andrews 

Whichever yank it is on commentary just called Celtic's majority shareholder Desmond Dermot. Celtic are popular the world over apparently though 

1 hour ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Whichever yank it is on commentary just called Celtic's majority shareholder Desmond Dermot. Celtic are popular the world over apparently though 

On a side note did you notice who is caddying for him? Lowrys ex full time caddy Bo