Golfers Thread

Gaz

9 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Camperdown Golf course in Dundee to close, I would fear that at least some of Glasgow's municipal courses will go the same way soon.

I sometimes pop through to Glasgow for a round at Dalmuir with @alternative maryhill and they've jacked their prices up quite a bit this year to try and rake more cash in. Apparently it's often touted for closure but seems to be hanging on. Really nice course.

I sometimes pop through to Glasgow for a round at Dalmuir with [mention=17146]alternative maryhill[/mention] and they've jacked their prices up quite a bit this year to try and rake more cash in. Apparently it's often touted for closure but seems to be hanging on. Really nice course.
Dalmuir is run by West Dunbartonshire Council, and it's a really good course. Some really hard holes on there, e.g. the par 3 over the gully. Would imagine municipal courses everywhere are struggling, I know my local course Littlehill is busy on Saturday and Sunday, but even in the afternoons at the weekend you can usually still get on ok.

22 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, RiG said:
I sometimes pop through to Glasgow for a round at Dalmuir with [mention=17146]alternative maryhill[/mention] and they've jacked their prices up quite a bit this year to try and rake more cash in. Apparently it's often touted for closure but seems to be hanging on. Really nice course.

Dalmuir is run by West Dunbartonshire Council, and it's a really good course. Some really hard holes on there, e.g. the par 3 over the gully. Would imagine municipal courses everywhere are struggling, I know my local course Littlehill is busy on Saturday and Sunday, but even in the afternoons at the weekend you can usually still get on ok.

Is that the 14th hole? I've played that one about 3 or 4 times and so far I've avoided sending a ball into the trees though I normally just fall a bit short of the green (I'm still pretty poor but enjoy playing nonetheless). 

I quite like the 12th hole. The Wee Drap I think it's called? I always go over the green because I get spooked thinking it's further away than it actually is.

Nice wee course for sure. Shame about all the hills!

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Is that the 14th hole? I've played that one about 3 or 4 times and so far I've avoided sending a ball into the trees though I normally just fall a bit short of the green (I'm still pretty poor but enjoy playing nonetheless). 

I quite like the 12th hole. The Wee Drap I think it's called? I always go over the green because I get spooked thinking it's further away than it actually is.

Nice wee course for sure. Shame about all the hills!

I had that problem for a while in judging club selection in general, even when using gps.

Invested in a rangefinder at the beginning of the year, and I reckon it now saves me 3-4 shots a round.

I had that problem for a while in judging club selection in general, even when using gps.
Invested in a rangefinder at the beginning of the year, and I reckon it now saves me 3-4 shots a round.
Tbf it's not the distance that's the problem on the specific hole he is talking about, it's factoring in the elevation change and the wind. I've attached a pic, but it doesn't really show that it drops about 80-90 feet from tee to green, with the hole only about 110 yards long. You also can't feel the wind on the tee a lot of the time because of the trees. First time I played it I was hitting a 9 iron about 110 consistently, so thought I would just hit a nice easy 3/4 swing. It cleared the bunkers at the back of the green with yards to spare. [emoji23]Screenshot_20190820-182723_Maps.jpeg

20 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Camperdown Golf course in Dundee to close, I would fear that at least some of Glasgow's municipal courses will go the same way soon.

I think you're right. I used to walk down to the wee 9-hole at Ruchill once or twice a week during the summer. They had a real problem with kids nicking the flags and leaving cans and bottles around the place, but the fairways and greens were generally well kept. This year I went down once, and although the fairways had been mowed, the rough was about waist-high and the greens had burnt away to almost nothing. There was a guy from Glasgow Leisure there, but he refused to take my money and said that the place was rarely manned anymore. I'm sure they'd love to be able to sell it off, and it was so rarely used that it's probably just about justifiable, but it's a real shame, as I think the place only reopened a dozen or so years ago. Apparently Lethamhill might go too but Alexandra Parade is safe, which is little comfort as it was in a pretty much unplayable state last time I was there.

Dalmuir is also under threat from housing developers, and that would be a real sin as it's a cracking course and, as @RiG says, it's always in excellent condition. Usually very quiet though, even though the rounds are pretty reasonably priced.     

Edited by alternative maryhill

16 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

I think you're right. I used to walk down to the wee 9-hole at Ruchill once or twice a week during the summer. They had a real problem with kids nicking the flags and leaving cans and bottles around the place, but the fairways and greens were generally well kept. This year I went down once, and although the fairways had been mowed, the rough was about waist-high and the greens had burnt away to almost nothing. There was a guy from Glasgow Leisure there, but he refused to take my money and said that the place was rarely manned anymore. I'm sure they'd love to be able to sell it off, and it was so rarely used that it's probably just about justifiable, but it's a real shame, as I think the place only reopened a dozen or so years ago. Apparently Lethamhill might go too but Alexandra Parade is safe, which is little comfort as it was in a pretty much unplayable state last time I was there.

Dalmuir is also under threat from housing developers, and that would be a real sin as it's a cracking course and, as @RiG says, it's always in excellent condition. Usually very quiet though, even though the rounds are pretty reasonably priced.     

Dalmuir is a fantastic course and was always in great condition when we played as kids.  Some really fantastic holes there.

Royal Knightswood is probably a cert to close as well, which is a real shame.  I'm sure at one point it was the busiest 9 hole course in the UK.  I keep meaning to go back and play for old times sakes.  My single greatest round of golf ever was when I was 15 or so and I went round in 40.

6 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Dalmuir is a fantastic course and was always in great condition when we played as kids.  Some really fantastic holes there.

Royal Knightswood is probably a cert to close as well, which is a real shame.  I'm sure at one point it was the busiest 9 hole course in the UK.  I keep meaning to go back and play for old times sakes.  My single greatest round of golf ever was when I was 15 or so and I went round in 40.

I haven't played Knightswood in a couple of years, but it's always been a lot busier than Ruchill when I've been, so maybe it'll cling on if Glasgow Leisure have any obligation to try to cater for demand. Then again, a big chunk of land in the middle of an established residential area like that must be pretty desirable for developers, so they'll probably find some justification for selling it.   

A few spectators injured at East Lake after a couple of lightning strikes. Play had already been suspended, but a couple of journos tweeted tgat when the weather warnings were displayed yesterday telling the crowd to take shelter, quite a lot of them didn't bother their arse.

Dustin Johnson giving no fucks at the Tour Championship as he is now 9 over, having started at -3. Leaders go out just after 7pm, Koepka (-15) leading by 1 from McIlroy and Schauffele. Casey and Thomas on -11 the only others with a chance, as there is a big gap to the next bunch of players on -6. Most of the field had to finish their second round today, with the leaders having 29/30 holes to play today.

Calum Hill was T3rd at the Rolex Open on the challenge tour this weekend, with Ewen Ferguson 10th. That lifts Ferguson up to 21st on the rankings.

Stephen Gallacher was the only Scot to make the cut at the Scandinavian Invitation, finishing a distant T47th.