Golfers Thread

Gaz

Another stunning effort from me yesterday where I stood on the 16th needing a par and 2 bogeys to secure a cut to my lowest ever handicap.
Double, double, quadruple later, and it's another 0.1. Stupid fucking game.

I once started a boys' competition at Craigie Hill eagle '2' (holed an eight iron, head a bit wobbly), double bogey '6', birdie '2' (head about to go), quintuple bogey '9', NR and walk in. [emoji5]

Decent round in Wednesday sweep today. 82-10 for net 72 which was winning when I left. CSS was on 72 so as things stand no cut which is a pity.

Still a few players to come in though.

Actually hit the ball really well other than losing a ball on 11 which cost me a triple bogey. Holed virtually nothing and had 36 putts for the round which is really frustrating. 3 putted 1st and 18th. 

I recently purchased callaway rogue X 7 and 8 hybrids to replace irons. I now have 5 hybrids in my bag from 4-8. I love these clubs. They are so easy to hit and the lofted ones will move the ball on from some pretty awful lies. I've increasingly struggled with irons of late (old age :lol:)

Really delighted with them and hitting the ball more consistently than for some time. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Any advice for someone heading out in their first round in about 10 years next week?
I have been to the driving range a few times over the last few weeks and swing slowly coming back.
Heading out for 18 holes next week, but no idea how I will get in.

Enjoy it. After not playing for 10 years your expectations are presumably modest.

Yes they are . Really looking forward to it. Used to love a bit of the old stick and batter.

But like everything else, I want to do as well as I can , and I am super competitive! 

It is actually the short game I fear most. I reckon I will be able to hit some kind of tee shot and irons, but will have no judgement when it comes to chipping and putting after so long.

Edited by Merkie84
Extra info

My quest for single figures has been a tough one this summer, missed four weeks in July, had weddings and weekends away all summer and a string of 0.1s which seemed to last a lifetime at the end of April.

Today I shot a nett 58 (Par 68, CSS 65) for a 1.4 cut to 10.1. With a couple of weeks to go there’s still hope but the balls not going very far now that it’s wet and cold.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/49873076

Interesting comments from Rory considering some of the scores that are shot on the US tour.

I think his views are a bit skewed by the fact that he's come back to play links courses in very favourable conditions with not a lot of defence.

Certainly the Scottish Open was a farce, with no wind it was shooting fish in a barrel. He has to remember that the Dunhill set up is fairly benign because of the pro-am element. If it's so easy, why was he still 6 or 7 shots adrift in both competitions?

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
58 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Interesting comments from Rory considering some of the scores that are shot on the US tour.

I think his views are a bit skewed by the fact that he's come back to play links courses in very favourable conditions with not a lot of defence.

Certainly the Scottish Open was a farce, with no wind it was shooting fish in a barrel. He has to remember that the Dunhill set up is fairly benign because of the pro-am element. If it's so easy, why was he still 6 or 7 shots adrift in both competitions?

Very true. If they'd set the courses up harder he'd no doubt have been moaning that it was unfair on his dad....

The scoring at the Dunhill is always low. Partly because of the above, and partly because they are almost always playing in softer conditions due to the time of year. If there is little to no wind, like this year, then anything in the 70s is essentially over par.

19 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Very true. If they'd set the courses up harder he'd no doubt have been moaning that it was unfair on his dad....

The scoring at the Dunhill is always low. Partly because of the above, and partly because they are almost always playing in softer conditions due to the time of year. If there is little to no wind, like this year, then anything in the 70s is essentially over par.

Yep claiming the course is too easy for this week's event is bizarre.  

Can you imagine the utter carnage among the amateur players if they set Carnoustie up in full Open mode and it was really wet and windy?

Very true. If they'd set the courses up harder he'd no doubt have been moaning that it was unfair on his dad.... The scoring at the Dunhill is always low. Partly because of the above, and partly because they are almost always playing in softer conditions due to the time of year. If there is little to no wind, like this year, then anything in the 70s is essentially over par.

Can you imagine the utter carnage among the amateur players if they set Carnoustie up in full Open mode and it was really wet and windy? Exactly this.

It's an utterly ridiculous statement by McIlroy.

Presumably Wentworth last week was more to his liking when in round 1 he did the back 9 in 42 shots on his way to a dreadful 76. He played well in the other 3 rounds to be top 10 but statements like this make him appear a bit of a tosser TBH. Pity.

I saw his interview after he finished today and imo this is just a huge toys oot the pram moment because he and his old man lost the team event. They had tied with Fleetwood and Phipps but Tommy won because he had shot a lower round than Rory. Strange way to decide it imo but them's the rules.

I saw his interview after he finished today and imo this is just a huge toys oot the pram moment because he and his old man lost the team event. They had tied with Fleetwood and Phipps but Tommy won because he had shot a lower round than Rory. Strange way to decide it imo but them's the rules.

McIlroy has acknowledged that his criticism of Dunhill Links was misplaced

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/49873076

It's a strange hill for Rory to choose to die on tbh. US tour courses are massacred on a weekly basis. There are been numerous 59s and even a 58 on the US Tour, and just a solitary 59 in Europe.

Be interesting to see how many actual events would see you finish 30th on 14 under.

It's a strange hill for Rory to choose to die on tbh. US tour courses are massacred on a weekly basis. There are been numerous 59s and even a 58 on the US Tour, and just a solitary 59 in Europe.

Be interesting to see how many actual events would see you finish 30th on 14 under.

Not many I would think. Saw a tweet last night that this was an unusually low score even for the Dunhill because the weather was decent all 4 days. For comparison, the similar AT&T at Pebble Beach is around -20 every year.

I'm not a fan of the Renaissance as a course, but I doubt they will ever get 4 days as good as it was this year ever again.

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

McIlroy has acknowledged that his criticism of Dunhill Links was misplaced

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/49873076

Unfortunately for him, and for the European Tour, it's a bit late now.

I doubt he'll be seen playing in Scotland again apart from when the Open is held here.