Golfers Thread

Gaz

It's good to see this forum has a healthy number of golfers.

I've been playing for a year and a half now and can't get enough of it.

Is everyone still knocking it about in the winter leagues?

I play in a winter league, not particularly well mind you. Still, gets me out of bed on a Saturday and Sunday morning...

I've had two games for Lochgelly in the fife winter league. Came back from 4 down after 7 to get a half in my first game at home to Aberdour. Team won 2 1/2 - 1 1/2. Then was away to Scoonie where the team managed to win 4-0, won my match 7n5. Never played before this year and am really enjoying if. Hopefully keep playing well and keep myself in the team for the rest of the leauge.

Edited by Stevie Les

Anybody tried the callaway mach 2. Wedges?

I had a wee swing of these before Christmas.

I didn't hit a ball but the weight felt good and the club looks great.

I ended up going for a few vokeys though as my course pro sorted me out with a cracking deal.

Cool.

I had the callAway jaws wedges a couple of years ago and I actually preferred them to the vokeys.

I'm playing with the vokeys now, which I love.

I was wondering how the new callaway wedges played. I'm not sure about the slate.

My 52 degree is the most used club in my bag apart from my driver and putter

Vokeys all the way for me as well.

Got some vouchers for American Golf for Xmas and bought myself some new waterproofs. They've got some great prices on UnderArmor gear, which I think is fantastic, so worth a visit if you need new clobber.

Could have done with some decent waterproofs today.

Today was the 1st time playing a round with GPS and can honestly say it must have been worth at least 5 strokes. Really can't wait for the new season to start now.

Could have done with some decent waterproofs today.

Today was the 1st time playing a round with GPS and can honestly say it must have been worth at least 5 strokes. Really can't wait for the new season to start now.

Was thinking of picking up one of those GPS style watches, but wasn't really sure if it would be worth it though. Going on the 5 strokes, would I be right to assume you'd recommend it then?

Was thinking of picking up one of those GPS style watches, but wasn't really sure if it would be worth it though. Going on the 5 strokes, would I be right to assume you'd recommend it then?

Definitely!

I went for the Garmin S1 watch at £99 so not a massive outlay. Provides a lot of confidence that you have the right club in your hand.

Definitely!

I went for the Garmin S1 watch at £99 so not a massive outlay. Provides a lot of confidence that you have the right club in your hand.

Cheers mate.

Think the one I was looking at was about £109, like you say it's not a fortune you're spending on it. Certainly I could be doing with the help with regards to that, I've really improved my driving, when connecting I am hitting it really well but a fair number of times, it's my second shot that can let me down, a lot of that can be down to the wrong club selection.

Are they legal for use in a medal?

Its no different to a course guide I suppose. I had a wee look and the amount of courses it covers is impressive. Looks like Ive sorted my Dad a Christmas present exceptionally early.

As long as they only measure distance then they are legal. Some of the fancier gadgets out there will tell you wind speed, direction, temperature, even the lie, those are illegal.

Are they legal for use in a medal?

Its no different to a course guide I suppose. I had a wee look and the amount of courses it covers is impressive. Looks like Ive sorted my Dad a Christmas present exceptionally early.

Golf specific GPS devices are fine for medal play.

There are issues and local rules set against the use of mobile phones with GPS apps.

• 3 weeks later...

A few mates and myself are looking to head out to Portugal golfing in May, just wondering if anyone can give us any pointers of courses to play or deals/websites we should look at for arranging the golf?

We can get decent flights to faro.

I've been golfing in Portugal on several occasions, but the golf itself is just too expensive now.

Vilamoura Old Course is always worth a game, that's the only inspiration I can offer you.

I'd rather go to Turkey or Bulgaria these days.

I've been golfing in Portugal on several occasions, but the golf itself is just too expensive now.

Vilamoura Old Course is always worth a game, that's the only inspiration I can offer you.

I'd rather go to Turkey or Bulgaria these days.

The wife has seen what happens on sunny beach on TV so I could be struggling to get to Bulgaria!