Darts...

Sideshow

Wade hasn't beat Taylor on route to his majors has he? i.e when Taylor goes out Wade usually picks up the pieces.

I actually dont fancy Wade to be honest but everyone must be rubbing their hands now.

You're right - he's not beaten Taylor in any of the TV majors that he's won. Could be his year to sweep up the big one this time.

Edited by The Naitch

You're right - he's not beaten Taylor in any of the TV majors that he's won. Could be his year to sweep up the big one this time.

It could very well. The pundits will draw parallels to the 2008 Championship, even though a lot of things have changed since then. However, Part won that year quite simply because he was the most solid and consistent player throughout. James Wade, as he has done when winning previous titles, fits that description perfectly and has looked very solid and comfortable so far.

Looking at the players left in the event. You can make a case for most of them. Lewis, Wade, Anderson, Chisnall, Whitlock, King and Jenkins are probably the most likely group, but it is also not impossible to see Huybrechts, Nicholson, Hamilton, Painter or even Scott Rand having an extended run.

One thing is for certain. It's going to be a very exciting 5 days!

Edited by Davis Love III

That truly was clobberin' time there from Nicholson. Dross stuff from Tabern, but Nicholson fired on all cylinders and looked good. Having him in the second tier of guys to win is ridiculous. Is he really any worse than anyone else these days? He has experience winning a major and he has also came up against Taylor in most of his major loses while Taylor was playing some ridiculous stuff.

I think he should be counted as one of the many new favourites. I'd say the winner will either be Nicholson, Chisnall, Painter or Whitlock to do it.

Having him in the second tier of guys to win is ridiculous. Is he really any worse than anyone else these days? He has experience winning a major and he has also came up against Taylor in most of his major loses while Taylor was playing some ridiculous stuff.

I just don't see him actually winning the event. He could get to the Semi Finals for sure, but I'm not at all convinced he'll even get to the final, never mind win the Championship. Yes, on his day he is capable of beating just about everyone, but so are almost everyone else in the field.

There are only a few players that you could probably discount from winning, Nicholson isn't one of them, but I don't see him yet consistently in the same standard as Lewis, Anderson or Wade. Nicholson could win, but I just don't think he will.

I just don't see him actually winning the event. He could get to the Semi Finals

for sure, but I'm not at all convinced he'll even get to the final, never mind

win the Championship. Yes, on his day he is capable of beating just about

everyone, but so are almost everyone else in the field.

That last sentence isn't exactly true. There's a good few names I'm looking at and thinking to myself "not a chance". Funnily enough, Anderson is one of them, thanks to my long standing order to write him off out of principle. So far he hasn't let me down.

All you have to really do is keep good form going for a couple of weeks, and keep yer nerve. Easier said than done in most cases of course, but not as hard as some might think either I reckon. Nicholson is one of them guys who I'd expect will have the bottle. The way Painter is playing too, he should be in that top tier of guys, because the self belief he has right now will make the nerves that much lighter. Huybrechts is another one because there isn't as much expectation on him.

This tournament is a lot more wide open than people realise. Almost everyone else in the field IS capable of winning a game come to think of it. And that basically means that they're capable of going all the way too. It's exciting stuff.

Edited by DomDom

That last sentence isn't exactly true. There's a good few names I'm looking at and thinking to myself "not a chance". Funnily enough, Anderson is one of them, thanks to my long standing order to write him off out of principle. So far he hasn't let me down.

All you have to really do is keep good form going for a couple of weeks, and keep yer nerve. Easier said than done in most cases of course, but not as hard as some might think either I reckon. Nicholson is one of them guys who I'd expect will have the bottle. The way Painter is playing too, he should be in that top tier of guys, because the self belief he has right now will make the nerves that much lighter. Huybrechts is another one because there isn't as much expectation on him.

This tournament is a lot more wide open than people realise. Almost everyone else in the field IS capable of winning a game come to think of it. And that basically means that they're capable of going all the way too. It's exciting stuff.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and perhaps separating the field into two categories was somewhat arbitrary given the circumstances and talent involved. I wouldn't be surprised if any of these guys won, especially Painter, but instinctively I just don't think he will. I am not in any way writing these guys off, but at the moment this is, as you say, an incredibly open Championship, perhaps even more so than in 2008, as the there are probably 8-10 names who you could see winning this thing. They certainly have the ability, but as you said, it's about having the steel to actually do it.

Edited by Davis Love III

Latest Tournament Winner Odds from Ladbrokes

Gary Anderson 7/2

James Wade 9/2

Adrian Lewis 5/1

Simon Whitlock 8/1

Dave Chisnall 8/1

Paul Nicholson 10/1

Kevin Painter 16/1

Mervyn King 20/1

Terry Jenkins 22/1

Scott Rand 28/1