Rugby Union

kiwififer

Have to agree, even though I went along twice at Murrayfield and thought it was OK.

As I recall, when SRU won it they'd played heavily on the idea of going to historic Melrose with a couple of large temporary stands; then having won it they promptly ditched the idea. Both a 3/4 empty Murrayfield and a reasonably filled Scotstoun don't really do it justice... so it was no surprise we lost the finale slot, and now the slot completely.

Seems like a slightly unfortunate timing considering the hype over 7s after the Commonwealth Games, though that will probably die out soon (if it hasn't already). A few non-rugby supporting friends of mine had talked about being interested in going to see it next year, but that pretty much lasted until about a week after the Commonwealth Games had ended and football had taken over everyone's interests again.

I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Put towards the academy system the sru are developing or additional funding for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Think it's something like 4 million a year between sport Scotland and the sru spent on 7s.

Edited by Northsea80

Ireland are re-starting their 7's team this year, but are starting at the bottom in European tournaments with the goal of getting back into the World Series.

Scotstoun was always too small a venue to hold it compared to the rest of the series, and I dont think we had an alternative 20-25k stadium to use and Murrayfield / Hampden / Ibrox would all look half empty if they took it their.

I think the 7's team needs a clear out and should be used for development of players only. There are guys in the team that have been in it for years and done nothing who should be removed, and fill the team with guys from the Academy / fringe Glasgow / Edinburgh players to save money, but I wouldn't lose it completely

Who are Scotland due to play in the Autumn internationals? I see that Australia are playing England, Wales, France and Ireland.

Argentina, New Zealand and Tonga. The Wallabies also have a game against the Barbarians next weekend, Al Kellock has been called up for the Baa-Baas.