Rugby Union

kiwififer

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Given his injuries the last few years there is a good chance Hogg might have lost a bit.

On the crowds, the style of rugby has to help. It's not that long ago that the bulk of the points came from Chris Patterson's boot and scoring one try was a cause for celebration. Much more exciting team to watch now, even if it doesn't quite come off all of the time.

It's true, sometimes I get more enjoyment watching them lose these days than I used to enjoy some wins. Whenever you go to Murrayfield now you know you're going to see a show. In the Dan Parks era anyone numbered 11 to 15 was never going to touch the ball.

It's true, sometimes I get more enjoyment watching them lose these days than I used to enjoy some wins. Whenever you go to Murrayfield now you know you're going to see a show. In the Dan Parks era anyone numbered 11 to 15 was never going to touch the ball.

On the other hand, you would be guaranteed at least one drop goal attempt from the half way line per game.

Not convinced Hogg has lost much tbh. Camara is absolutely rapid, and Penaud is pretty quick and had a head start that most would have struggled to run down in the space available. Not sure Hogg was losing ground to Penaud as much as just not making any up.

Ritchie will go I think, he's been the outstanding consistent back rower over the last 18 months, and can play all 3 positions. Watson is obviously an out and out 7, and Wilson can also play all 3, and should go given he brings the nastiness other people have pointed out. Barclay also covers all 3 and it's amazing to think a guy like that has his place in doubt.

One guy who should definitely look out his Japanese phrase book after yesterday is Scott Cummings - he was superb, and offered everything Gilchrist does, and more.

59 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Was Sam Johnson not involved?  He's the utter boey imo.

He turned his ankle in training. 

I think we will see him in the final fixture. For Georgia away I'd like to see Taylor play 80 minutes starting at 12. If he can't get 80 minutes under his belt he can't go imo.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He turned his ankle in training. 

I think we will see him in the final fixture. For Georgia away I'd like to see Taylor play 80 minutes starting at 12. If he can't get 80 minutes under his belt he can't go imo.

Next game is going to be an interesting selection - we obviously need to win as dont want to be the first tier 1 team to lose to Georgia, and they are going to be right up for it at home, but its also the last chance for any fringe squad players to make a case for selection. And anyone with an injury to prove they are fit enough to go. I beleive the final 31 is announced after the game.

Agreed Taylor needs the full game and i'd maybe start either Hutchinson or Jones outside him, Grey's not had a run yet, both Fagersons have only had 40 minutes so far, we've not seen Bradbury or Johnson, Horne the younger has only had 2 brief cameo's from the bench.

I'd start Nel, either Brown (if fit) or McInally just to anchor the scrum a bit. Maybe give Maitland a run at full back to give Hogg a rest and maybe give Graham another run on the wing

I'd go
Dell McInally Fagerson Gray Toolis Barclay Ritchie Fagerson Price Hastings Maitland Taylor Jones Graham Hogg
Bhatti Stewart Nel Gilchrist Wilson Horne Hutchinson Kinghorn 

I’d be wrapping Nel in cotton wool for these two games against Georgia. We know what he can do, let’s not get him hurt again. I have a feeling Hutchinson isn’t going to go, but I’d have him starting both the games to see if he can blow somebody out the water.

I’d also have Maitland and Hogg resting up, although I like the idea of trying Maitland at full back just in case.

For me, these last two games should be for the borderline players who did so badly against France to step up.

I’d be wrapping Nel in cotton wool for these two games against Georgia. We know what he can do, let’s not get him hurt again. I have a feeling Hutchinson isn’t going to go, but I’d have him starting both the games to see if he can blow somebody out the water.

I’d also have Maitland and Hogg resting up, although I like the idea of trying Maitland at full back just in case.

For me, these last two games should be for the borderline players who did so badly against France to step up.
As much as I agree we don't want injuries we need to make sure everyone is match fit and raring to go for the Ireland game