Rugby Union

kiwififer

To answer an earlier query it was Matieu Reynal that was the ref.

It should have been a red as if Finn hadn't twisted in the tackle he would have landed on his head. However, I think the ref was going with the letter of the law as he landed on his back hence the booking. Matt Toomua is being cited and righty so.

The ref was also too lenient when we went for the bonus point. We had the attacking scrum on their 5m line but they constantly made a mess. Reynal even sent their prop to the bin. The penalty try really ought to have been awarded.

Incredible performance by the Warriors though :)

No fan of Saracens, but fair play to them for becoming the first side to win in Toulon in the ECC. Sean Maitland scored the first try, Nonu a bit lucky to only see yellow for a tackle not too dissimilar to the one on Russell last night.

Wasps gave Zebre an 82-14 horsing at the Ricoh Arena.

Fiji will compete in next year's Australian second tier competition, the National Rugby Championship. They have been guaranteed 4 home games in 2017 and 2018 but not sure what will happen if they finish in the top 2 which is supposed to give the team a home semi-final.

Fiji will compete in next year's Australian second tier competition, the National Rugby Championship. They have been guaranteed 4 home games in 2017 and 2018 but not sure what will happen if they finish in the top 2 which is supposed to give the team a home semi-final.

I would call it the Top tier of Australian rugby as Super Rugby is an international tournament. And it if the Fiji Warriors (or A side) not the full international side so can only be made up of there home based players. World rugby are funding it with $300000 payment with the Fijian government paying the same. It is claimed that they will play all there home games in Fiji and the next step is to get them a side in Super Rugby.

It's definitely not classed as a top tier competition by anyone here. This year's Final will be between Minor Premiers NSW Country Eagles and last year's losing finalist, Perth Spirit. Final in Tamworth next Saturday night.

I would call it the Top tier of Australian rugby as Super Rugby is an international tournament. And it if the Fiji Warriors (or A side) not the full international side so can only be made up of there home based players. World rugby are funding it with $300000 payment with the Fijian government paying the same. It is claimed that they will play all there home games in Fiji and the next step is to get them a side in Super Rugby.

About time some consideration was given to the Pacific island sides. NZ n Oz have been stealing their players for long enough. NZ won't even play test matches against them (in case they can generate enough income to keep their own players??).

Munster game postponed due to the sudden death overnight of Anthony Foley.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/anthony-foley-dead-munster-vs-racing-metro-latest-news-cause-of-death-a7364206.html

He was 42 - seems like only yesterday that he was playing as well.

Munster game postponed due to the sudden death overnight of Anthony Foley.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/anthony-foley-dead-munster-vs-racing-metro-latest-news-cause-of-death-a7364206.html

He was 42 - seems like only yesterday that he was playing as well.

This is Dreadful news. Utterly Tragic...RIP big man

See Toomua isn't being cited for his tip tackle on Russell on Friday night. Apparently the citing officer thought a yellow was fine. Not very surprised to be honest. 

Pretty shoddy though comparing it to the one finn was given a 2 week ban for v Wales.

3 hours ago, dogmc said:

Pretty shoddy though comparing it to the one finn was given a 2 week ban for v Wales.

Yeah, but it's been pretty obvious for a good long time that there is a tiered approach when it comes to the severity of punishment in world rugby, both on the pitch and with the citing officer. A Samoan doing that in the world cup for example would have been banned for the rest of the tournament. 

You see it in the Pro 12 as well. Playing for an Irish team gives you much more leeway than playing for anyone else.

Yeah, but it's been pretty obvious for a good long time that there is a tiered approach when it comes to the severity of punishment in world rugby, both on the pitch and with the citing officer. A Samoan doing that in the world cup for example would have been banned for the rest of the tournament. 

You see it in the Pro 12 as well. Playing for an Irish team gives you much more leeway than playing for anyone else.

I'd agree with everything thing there with the possible exception of Samoa. For some reason I can't fathom they are allowed to get away with tip tackles high tackles shoulder charges and off the ball hits. When we played them in last rwc they should have had multiple yellow cards. The tiered approach to reffing is clearly deliberate and desperately needs to be eradicated from the sport.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

I'd agree with everything thing there with the possible exception of Samoa. For some reason I can't fathom they are allowed to get away with tip tackles high tackles shoulder charges and off the ball hits. When we played them in last rwc they should have had multiple yellow cards. The tiered approach to reffing is clearly deliberate and desperately needs to be eradicated from the sport.

Well, we could have quite easily had a guy sent off in that game as well to be fair.

I actually think some of the refereeing in the Pro 12 is a disgrace to be honest. That ref on Friday wasn't great for us for the first 20 mins or so, but after that he was OK, considering a couple of weeks ago we got a guy yellow carded and a penalty try for a "no arm tackle" where our player clearly had his arm wrapped around the blokes leg, even after several video replays. Now that is bad refereeing. 

Edited by GAD

Only having properly got into rugby in the past five seasons I am a bit mystified by the continued respect afforded to referees when by all accounts they are performing so poorly and with an apparent bias towards certain teams and players. I get that respecting the officials is an inbuilt expectation in rugby and can't be doing with the John Terry's of the world chasing officials about the pitch but is the current position sustainable?

Well, we could have quite easily had a guy sent off in that game as well to be fair.

I actually think some of the refereeing in the Pro 12 is a disgrace to be honest. That ref on Friday wasn't great for us for the first 20 mins or so, but after that he was OK, considering a couple of weeks ago we got a guy yellow carded and a penalty try for a "no arm tackle" where our player clearly had his arm wrapped around the blokes leg, even after several video replays. Now that is bad refereeing. 

Oh yeah the Pro12 reffing is fully terrible. The Scottish teams have been traditionally the recipients of some truly stinking decisions whilst the Irish are reffed totally differently. The sru could do far more to redress this. The difference between owens or hodges reffing and some of the others is jarring.

Only having properly got into rugby in the past five seasons I am a bit mystified by the continued respect afforded to referees when by all accounts they are performing so poorly and with an apparent bias towards certain teams and players. I get that respecting the officials is an inbuilt expectation in rugby and can't be doing with the John Terry's of the world chasing officials about the pitch but is the current position sustainable?

Won't change anytime soon. First thing that's drilled into youngsters is respect for the ref n calling him sir. My young lads u16 team had an absolute rocket reffing on Sunday allowing the opposition multiple knock ons n fwd passes. Our guys never once protested some blatant bias (opponents supplied ref) and even our 6ft8 coach thanked the ref after the game calling him sir. Dylan Hartley called a ref a cheat and was hit with a bigger ban than if he'd banjoed someone. Even at pro level it's a major offence to call out refs. Al kellock was very good at 'seeking clarification' from refs and Johnny gray is getting better at that, but it's definitely a balancing act cos ref can often just screw you worse for badgering them.