Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Won't change anytime soon. First thing that's drilled into youngsters is respect for the ref n calling him sir. My young lads u16 team had an absolute rocket reffing on Sunday allowing the opposition multiple knock ons n fwd passes. Our guys never once protested some blatant bias (opponents supplied ref) and even our 6ft8 coach thanked the ref after the game calling him sir. Dylan Hartley called a ref a cheat and was hit with a bigger ban than if he'd banjoed someone. Even at pro level it's a major offence to call out refs. Al kellock was very good at 'seeking clarification' from refs and Johnny gray is getting better at that, but it's definitely a balancing act cos ref can often just screw you worse for badgering them.

I think your last line is the real reason. I don't think the players actually respect the refs at all to be honest. I have it on pretty good authority that Owens for example is considered an utter twat by a lot of players, who wish he'd just ref the game rather than making sure everyone watching on telly knows how important he is.

The problem is the refs in rugby can decide who wins fairly easily. You can't afford to get on the wrong side as it will just make things worse. A ref can basically kill any attack you have, and ensure you never get the ball back. And if he gives millions of penalties against you he can justify binning players at will.

I think your last line is the real reason. I don't think the players actually respect the refs at all to be honest. I have it on pretty good authority that Owens for example is considered an utter twat by a lot of players, who wish he'd just ref the game rather than making sure everyone watching on telly knows how important he is.

The problem is the refs in rugby can decide who wins fairly easily. You can't afford to get on the wrong side as it will just make things worse. A ref can basically kill any attack you have, and ensure you never get the ball back. And if he gives millions of penalties against you he can justify binning players at will.

Yep certainly a lot in what you say. I played in a game in the 90s v paisley uni when my team conceded a pen on our own 5 metre line. One of the opposition lads swung a punch so ref reversed the pen. Cue several comments each one resulting in the pen being pushed ten metres up the field. This kept happening until the ball was past halfway line and they finally saw sense. However there more comments from fans so another 2 x 10 metres were added and we scored the pen. We won 22-20 having scored 1 try to their 5 (their kickers were pish). Crazy stuff. The contrast was prior to the 1990 grand slam game which was reffed by david bishop (world no 1 ref at time) he officiated in a district u18 game i played in. He was amazing. Saw everything on the park like he was an xman and the communication was incredible. The gap between him and our domestic refs was night and day.
The problem with refs is that irb has clearly pushed for a tiered approach (ive no doubt ref for the Japanese v sa rwc match would have been queried ) and dont like surprise results. Until irb changes this problems will persist. Recruiting dicks like clancy barnes lacey etc doesnt help. Barnes sin binned one of our players last year for tackling an Argentina player in the air at a lineout despite replay showing clearly it was his own player. He refused to explain himself to laidlaw (same dick that allowed Argentina to charge down a drop kick from a blatantly offside position in rwc11 which cost us a qf place). Given the global nature of the sport and the level of professionalism in all other aspects of the game, reffing needs to be addressed urgently.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Yep certainly a lot in what you say. I played in a game in the 90s v paisley uni when my team conceded a pen on our own 5 metre line. One of the opposition lads swung a punch so ref reversed the pen. Cue several comments each one resulting in the pen being pushed ten metres up the field. This kept happening until the ball was past halfway line and they finally saw sense. However there more comments from fans so another 2 x 10 metres were added and we scored the pen. We won 22-20 having scored 1 try to their 5 (their kickers were pish). Crazy stuff. The contrast was prior to the 1990 grand slam game which was reffed by david bishop (world no 1 ref at time) he officiated in a district u18 game i played in. He was amazing. Saw everything on the park like he was an xman and the communication was incredible. The gap between him and our domestic refs was night and day.
The problem with refs is that irb has clearly pushed for a tiered approach (ive no doubt ref for the Japanese v sa rwc match would have been queried ) and dont like surprise results. Until irb changes this problems will persist. Recruiting dicks like clancy barnes lacey etc doesnt help. Barnes sin binned one of our players last year for tackling an Argentina player in the air at a lineout despite replay showing clearly it was his own player. He refused to explain himself to laidlaw (same dick that allowed Argentina to charge down a drop kick from a blatantly offside position in rwc11 which cost us a qf place). Given the global nature of the sport and the level of professionalism in all other aspects of the game, reffing needs to be addressed urgently.

Yeah, spot on. I don't see it changing much to be honest either unfortunately. As you say, it seems to be policy now. The worst one I remember (and I can't remember who the ref was), was the rwc 11 final. It was clearly decided New Zealand were winning and the refs job was to make sure it happened. 

Just looked it up. Craig Joubert, the guy who cost us a semi final at the last world cup.

Edited by GAD

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, spot on. I don't see it changing much to be honest either unfortunately. As you say, it seems to be policy now. The worst one I remember (and I can't remember who the ref was), was the rwc 11 final. It was clearly decided New Zealand were winning and the refs job was to make sure it happened. 

Just looked it up. Craig Joubert, the guy who cost us a semi final at the last world cup.

Joubert didn't cost Scotland anything.  Incompetent lineouts did.

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Joubert didn't cost Scotland anything.  Incompetent lineouts did.

Giving a clearly wrong penalty in the last seconds of the game and earlier binning our winger for trying to catch the ball had a pretty major effect.

If the French were able to score there penalty chances they would of won it. There was only 17 penalties during the final (one less than in 2015) with the French being penalised 3 more times than the kiwis. Joubert left both sides get away with a bit in that game and is just a rubbish ref

While I do feel there is a bit of a tiered approach, I have to say I certainly don't think Wayne Barnes is one who buys into it. He's actually a fairly balanced and consistent referee - his biggest problem is that he is an arrogant tosspot who invents his own interpretations. When he refs Glasgow or Scotland, my feeling tends to be "he was Wayne Barnes" as opposed to "he fucking robbed us".

Owens needs to stop trying to be a one liner king and get on with it, but at least you know what to expect from him. The biggest problem is the number of Irish refs who seem to ascend the ladder with no issues, while quality Scottish refs like Mike Adamson are planted on the 7s circuit and as touchies, despite being light years ahead of them.

4 hours ago, GAD said:

Giving a clearly wrong penalty in the last seconds of the game and earlier binning our winger for trying to catch the ball had a pretty major effect.

It was only clearly wrong with the benefit of a replay. I thought it was a penalty until I saw the replay but the ref couldn't call for one for that offence. The 4th official, however, could have called for one for the late tackle on Hogg immediately preceding it but told Joubert there was nothing in it, that's the man who should be called to account.

If the French were able to score there penalty chances they would of won it. There was only 17 penalties during the final (one less than in 2015) with the French being penalised 3 more times than the kiwis. Joubert left both sides get away with a bit in that game and is just a rubbish ref

My biggest quibble with joubert in that game was that he reffed both sides entirely differently at the breakdown....nz were allowed to come in from the side and go off their feet ruining french possession whilst the french were given no leeway at all allowing nz to build up attacking pressure. All comes back to basic point that refs rarely judge both teams fairly n consistently.

Warriors game appears to have been removed from Sky Sports scheduling??

It might be a red button option(which is normal for sky when they have multiple games at the same time)as it is showing as sky on the European rugby championship website

It is down as Sky sports 2 on the Sky website with a 1300 k/o time

While I do feel there is a bit of a tiered approach, I have to say I certainly don't think Wayne Barnes is one who buys into it. He's actually a fairly balanced and consistent referee - his biggest problem is that he is an arrogant tosspot who invents his own interpretations. When he refs Glasgow or Scotland, my feeling tends to be "he was Wayne Barnes" as opposed to "he fucking robbed us".

Owens needs to stop trying to be a one liner king and get on with it, but at least you know what to expect from him. The biggest problem is the number of Irish refs who seem to ascend the ladder with no issues, while quality Scottish refs like Mike Adamson are planted on the 7s circuit and as touchies, despite being light years ahead of them.

Wayne Barnes?
Cost Scotland in 2011 world cup. Contepomi a mile offsite on last play. Pen right in front of posts...