Rugby Union

kiwififer

Edinburgh played a very depleted Ulster team but can only play what's in front of you I guess.

Despite the players lost to Scotland, we were shocking last night and Scarlets deserved the win. However, we still got Swinno, Harley and Horne released to play but were still mince.

Scotland duty still makes it tough for us. It would be fine if Scotland were doing something but when we have a Tier 1 international team who should really be a Tier 2 nation it's frustrating. I fear for next w/e. Oz are WC finalists but allegedly going through a tough spell. However, they destroyed Wales on their own patch who are a more serious team than Scotland. Worrying times.

Edited by come on shire

To be fair to embra they had a good number of players out as well. No hardie or Watson in back row was a big loss, but they showed a much better attitude than Glasgow. Pretty rare that can be said. As for Oz they've been stinking against sh teams n England but I'd be surprised if they didn't beat us. Ford will lose us territory and possesion at line outs (assuming he plays) and laidlaw pass will be so slow that the defensive line will swamp our backs. Love to be proved wrong though.

2ce7f1a74da479945b774e9231b0f15f.jpg
Team for Saturday has been announced. Seymour out for personal reasons. Lots of people will probably disagree but I'm delighted to see hamish Watson getting a start. He's been immense for embra. Less delighted about ford n laidlaw again and the centre picks are interesting.

I've only seen him play in the summer tests vs Japan, and he didn't look anything special but to be fair, no one came out of those games with much credit. I assume we are writing off this game and targetting wins against Argentina and Georgia, as the only way we are going to beat Australia is hammering them up front, and we have picked Ford and two props, one making his debut and the other his 2nd cap. With Nel missing you would have thought Dickinson would have to start.

Let's hope Ryan Wilson doesn't try to get himself sent off for once. I'll be honest, I've never seen Huge Ones play before. I'm guessing he's a big, physical guy like Brendan Laney?

Was my very first thought about Wilson playing. Would prefer strauss as I think he has more go forward and is more disciplined.

4 hours ago, dogmc said:

Was my very first thought about Wilson playing. Would prefer strauss as I think he has more go forward and is more disciplined.

I would have Wilson in the team every time ahead of Strauss. I think he's a massively underrated player. His defence in particular is excellent and I think after Grey he's the player Glasgow miss the most when he's not playing.

Superb.

Went to double-header at Coventry last week where we played very well. Very few Scottish fans though.

In terms of building interest I do feel it's opportunities wasted. Playing tonight v England-Scotland in football; no game up here (nor during RLWC 2013); even played our warm-up game, and one of our 2 home games in 2014 European Cup, in Cumbria.

Superb.

Went to double-header at Coventry last week where we played very well. Very few Scottish fans though.

In terms of building interest I do feel it's opportunities wasted. Playing tonight v England-Scotland in football; no game up here (nor during RLWC 2013); even played our warm-up game, and one of our 2 home games in 2014 European Cup, in Cumbria.

Would have made sense to play at a place like bridgehaugh or at a push Scotstoun

I was fully expecting them to take one of the Australia or New Zealand ties to a venue in Edinburgh or Glasgow - something like Easter Road or Firhill (I'd be guessing the SRU would have resisted Scotstoun being used)... Instead tonight's tie (which was also ludicrously scheduled such that I imagine hardly anyone in Scotland watched it!) was played at what looks from photos like a fairly unremarkable and perhaps even run-down ground in Workington. That venue was also chosen for 2 of our 3 pool games at the World Cup in 2013 and - quite incredibly IMO - 1 of our 2 home games in the 2014 European Cup. There have actually been twice as many Scotland games held in Workington in the last 3 years, than held in all of Scotland. Plus a game has been played in Barrow-in-Furness, too.

I don't follow rugby league at all but got a bit caught-up in the whole "journey" of the Scotland team over the last few years, and it has been remarkable... Saw them play Wales at Old Anniesland in European Cup 2010; USA at Salford in WC 2013; France at Netherdale in EC 2014; Ireland at Netherdale in EC 2015; and ties at Coventry last week in Four Nations.

It's just a shame so little attempt has been made to capitalise on it. Games at Galashiels drew credible 1,200-1,500 but even they weren't well-publicised.