Rugby Union

kiwififer

Japan pushed Wales all the way and Italy got their first every victory over the Boks, so grinding out a victory against the Pumas is a very good result in retrospect going forward towards the 6N.

England are still the team to beat and look unstoppable atm. 

Edited by Leggy Blonde

For those more in the know about rugby, is there a difference in emphasis from referees from the two hemispheres (or individual leagues) or are they fairly consistent?

It is the same as football. The refs from south let more offsides as they play a more running game

1 hour ago, Leggy Blonde said:

Japan pushed Wales all the way and Italy got their first every victory over the Boks, so grinding out a victory against the Pumas is a very good result in retrospect going forward towards the 6N.

England are still the team to beat and look unstoppable atm. 

I don't know. They just shipped three tries to a team who look like they just met last week.

We needed that win. We got dragged into a shitfest and came out the other end. That is unlike us, and very important. Thought Laidlaw was fantastic and Wilson was brilliant when he came on. He's so much better than the Edinburgh boys, and should be one of the first names on the teamsheet next week. Really need Nel back for the 6n though. 

6 hours ago, jmothecat said:

For those more in the know about rugby, is there a difference in emphasis from referees from the two hemispheres (or individual leagues) or are they fairly consistent?

They say the south offer the attacking side more whereas the north prefer defence. I don't buy it personally.

6 hours ago, jmothecat said:
5 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Why so close?

Argentina are world cup semi-finalists and beat Ireland to get there. In autumn 2012 they beat Wales and made them work last week. They've come on leaps and bounds in the Rugby Championship by making the All Blacks work to beat them, beating Oz and winning IN SA. A lot of the players are together in the new Beunos Aires Jaguars Super Rugby team.

The game wasn't crap like some are suggesting imo. I thought that handling errors were made coz of the wet ball and surface and Argentina, knowing they were leg weary, decided that they wanted an arm wrestle. We showed that we can play poorly but still compete to the bitter end in tight games and even snatch a win, so in a way we built on the Oz game.

Vern Cotter needed time to fix the devastation left by Hurricane Andy Robinson (recently sacked by Bristol) and is now building very good foundations. Toony will hopefully hit the ground running and build on this. Scottish rugby (the national team at least) heading in the right direction in great shape. Here's hoping it continues.

Before we can relax for a few months, we have another potential arm wrestle in Killie vs Georgia.

Watched the last 25 minutes of Georgia vs Samoa and the defence from Georgia was immense, they battered Samoa. However if Scotland get any ball they will run rings round the Georgian backs. Georgia are still a couple of years away from being a top team as although they were winning every time they got the ball back in their own half they just end booted it as far down the pitch as they could.
To be fair was very reminiscent of the old Scotland

Sounds like a decent game to be fair, unfortunately missed it as I was attending St. Mirren's most recent calamity. How was Fraser Brown?

Will probably give the whole 80 a watch as I hate using highlights to judge an entire performance (not that anyone is awaiting my judgement with great anticipation, of course!)

Brown was good, but there will still be question marks over his throwing under pressure. Thought Ford was decent when he came on the second time (came on for blood earlier) - for once he actually tried to make an impact rather than just being a body on the pitch. There is a decent player there, he has just become really lazy when it seemed he had no real competition for his place.

I'd start with Brown next week and hope Ford can have a similar impact off the bench again.

Brown was good, but there will still be question marks over his throwing under pressure. Thought Ford was decent when he came on the second time (came on for blood earlier) - for once he actually tried to make an impact rather than just being a body on the pitch. There is a decent player there, he has just become really lazy when it seemed he had no real competition for his place.

I'd start with Brown next week and hope Ford can have a similar impact off the bench again.

'Just being a body on the pitch' is probably the most apt description of Ford's last 50 caps or so, agree that competition for his spot will hopefully put a rocket up his rather sizeable backside

15 hours ago, come on shire said:

Argentina are world cup semi-finalists and beat Ireland to get there. In autumn 2012 they beat Wales and made them work last week. They've come on leaps and bounds in the Rugby Championship by making the All Blacks work to beat them, beating Oz and winning IN SA. A lot of the players are together in the new Beunos Aires Jaguars Super Rugby team.

The game wasn't crap like some are suggesting imo. I thought that handling errors were made coz of the wet ball and surface and Argentina, knowing they were leg weary, decided that they wanted an arm wrestle. We showed that we can play poorly but still compete to the bitter end in tight games and even snatch a win, so in a way we built on the Oz game.

Vern Cotter needed time to fix the devastation left by Hurricane Andy Robinson (recently sacked by Bristol) and is now building very good foundations. Toony will hopefully hit the ground running and build on this. Scottish rugby (the national team at least) heading in the right direction in great shape. Here's hoping it continues.

Before we can relax for a few months, we have another potential arm wrestle in Killie vs Georgia.

I posted that after the attempted drop goal. I'm still not sure why he didn't give himself a few more yards.

Decided to give the League game a go, what an eye-bleedingly awful non-event.

I suppose that's what happens in an international tournament where only one and a half countries take it seriously.

I always struggle to understand why league and union haven't reunited. Obviously not going to happen these days but it doesn't really seem sensible that there are two major sports which are so similar but delegate from one another. All over something as insignificant as professionalism. The atmosphere at Super League games is great, but it's hard to deny its the lesser of the two codes when it comes to enjoyment and variety.

59 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I suppose that's what happens in an international tournament where only one and a half countries take it seriously.

I always struggle to understand why league and union haven't reunited. Obviously not going to happen these days but it doesn't really seem sensible that there are two major sports which are so similar but delegate from one another. All over something as insignificant as professionalism. The atmosphere at Super League games is great, but it's hard to deny its the lesser of the two codes when it comes to enjoyment and variety.

The other issue with league is that the NRL is almost a completely different game to Super League.

Faster, significantly more skillful, and the overall standard is far higher.

If you think back to the whole North-South argument in Union a few years back, the gap in RL is even wider.

I wonder why. I spent a month in Australia a few years back, and whilst it was cricket season (hence why I was there) everyone seemed to like Aussie Rules and dismissed rugby. Always thought it was impressive they have such good rugby teams (both codes) despite the fact it seemed to be considerably less popular than AFL or cricket.