Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 11/17/2016 at 08:30, The Saintee said:

It doesn't bother me too much as long as these guys are committed and contribute. Especially when you consider how the All Blacks have plundered the Pacific Islands over the years.

Not that shite again, the myth has been well and truly debunked a number of times.

2 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

It will never go away

data is 2 year out of date 32 out of 1133 were born in the Islands 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11278276

Yeah and even that doesn't tell the full story, look at this small group "born outwith NZ"

Muliana moved to NZ at the age of 3 and Rokocoko at 5, Rodney So'oialo I can't find exact details but a WalesOnline article says at a young age and Jerome Kaino at the age of 4.

That's hardly "plundering the Pacific".

Of those players, Mils Muliaina (Salelesi, Samoa, 100 tests), Joe Rokocoko (Nadi, Fiji, 68), Rodney So'oialo (Moto'otua, Samoa, 62), Olo Brown (Apia, Samoa, 56) and Jerome Kaino (Tutuila, American Samoa, 50 not out) have played 50 tests.

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

In terms of World Rankings, is it just wins that matter or does size of victory come into it? Is a 45-0 thrashing counted as any better than a scrappy 12-9 win?

A win's a win I believe.  However, you get more points for beating teams above you.  However, it's still important to win.

An up the jumper shitfest concerns me.  However, if we can win the scrum battles thus allowing our lethal backline to get going then we SHOULD be ok.  Potential banana skin though.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 08:26, Bully Wee Villa said:

It seems reasonable to me. Georgia and Japan are guaranteed qualification (I think?) whereas normally they'd have to qualify, so Europe and Asia don't need so many places. Tonga and Samoa have to qualify whereas normally at least one would be in automatically so it makes sense to have Oceania have extra room for qualifiers.

Which Asian/European powerhouses are you concerned might miss out?

It's the fact that the reward for their teams doing better and the Pacific Islands doing worse has actually been punishment for Asia & Europe. Last time out, Asia 2 had to win 2 rounds of repechage to qualify - which they didn't manage, Hong Kong lost to winners Uruguay - but despite this and the fact that Japan did so well at RWC 2015 and finished 3rd they've got their places reduced such that the equivalent now has to win 3 rounds. Given it's being hosted in Asia it's very surprising to make it even harder for anyone else to join Japan IMO.

It's less severe for the equivalent of Europe 3 but their allocation has still been lopped despite the good performance of Georgia.

Meanwhile, the Pacific Islands - who were seeded 2nd, 3rd and 4th at RWC 2015 but all finished 4th in their groups - have been given 2 "free passes" (via their own 3-team qualifying system separated from the rest of Oceania) with the last getting 2 further shots via a playoff and if necessary a repechage.

It seems contrary to rewarding improved performance.

17 hours ago, KiwiDB said:

Not that shite again, the myth has been well and truly debunked a number of times.

No it's England that are plundering the Oceania region these days! ;)

I don't mind the qualification regimes. Seems sensible as I'm not sure who really would miss out. 

20 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

No it's England that are plundering the Oceania region these days! ;)

I don't mind the qualification regimes. Seems sensible as I'm not sure who really would miss out. 

It would not necessarily be someone significant but it's possible only 1 European team will qualify - out Romania, Spain, Russia, Portugal, etc. - and if not 1 of USA, Canada, Uruguay may 'miss-out'.

Out of the teams in the top 20 at the moment, potentially Russia could miss out if the finish as Europe 2 (Europe 2  was previously straight into world cup) would have to play off against Oceania 3 (Fiji / Samoa / Tonga) then go into the play offs

In Europe you have Spain / Germany missing out having beaten a team that qualified from the last world cup.

As has been said, Asia will only have Japan as a direct qualifier and any other team will have to finish top of the Asian 5 nations then win playoffs to qualify.

I know everyone fells sorry for the PI's as they get such a rough deal, but there are other countries and markets that we can be growing the game in - China have just had Ali pump $100m into a rugby program, Brazil have beaten the US recently, Germany and Spain are on the up, Russia has potential given the results for Eisney in the challenge cup, Madacasgar get 50,000 turning up to games their.

There is always the talk of the closed shop of the 6N etc, but the qualifying for the World Cup reeks of keeping the status quo and making it harder for anyone else to qualify.

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

There is always the talk of the closed shop of the 6N etc, but the qualifying for the World Cup reeks of keeping the status quo and making it harder for anyone else to qualify.

Indeed, across the last 2 tournaments the only new face was Russia in 2011 - and comparing 2011 v 2015 the only difference was Uruguay qualifying instead of Russia (and that was by beating Russia in the repechage final after losing the first leg).

Looks fairly likely that Fiji, Samoa, Namibia, USA and Canada will get there so the only question is who gets through automatically as 'Europe 1' - history says Romania, perhaps Russia - and whether 'Europe 2' can beat Tonga; then whether anyone can stop Europe 2/Tonga winning the repechage.

EDIT: I say "fairly likely" for Namibia but that's only because they've qualified every time for about 20yrs. I see they had a very rocky run last time around so maybe Zimbabwe or perhaps even Kenya can oust them this time.

Americas qualifying at the sharp end hardly exists:
* USA v Canada over 2 legs - winner qualifies
* loser v "best of rest" (invariably Uruguay) over 2 legs - winner qualifiers, loser to repechage.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Shame the World Cup draw has already been made, or we could be second seeds along with England.

Although I see we were already in one of the "Super Groups".

We've done well avoiding Australia and only getting one of the Big Three.

If we can beat one of Samoa or Tonga we would have a good chance of going through (as top three progress from our group). However, we would face an Aussie pumping in the QFs.

If we beat both the Polynesian teams we could finish second and get a winnable knockout game against one of Fiji, Italy or the USA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Rugby_League_World_Cup