Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

20 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Of course I did! First visit there too. Might have been my first time stopping off in Prestonpans itself come to think of it. 

Always loved the Goth, think it was in danger of closing a while back. I was last there a year ago and they had a 6.8% dark beer called Zymurgy. Lovely stuff, but this was before the Preston v Nitten game and I was surprised I was the only customer. I think pre-match, people tend to drink in the Legion.

5 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Of course I did! First visit there too. Might have been my first time stopping off in Prestonpans itself come to think of it. 

There was some sort of crisis taking place in the Goth as somebody had chucked too much coal or peat onto the fire, and the whole dining room was smoked out. Loads of folk decamping from there into the bar when I arrived. Anyway, crisis was eventually averted without calling for the fire brigade.

Game finished 2-1 to St Andrews United. Was a good day all round, rounded off with a wee wander around Musselburgh Harbour at dusk.

IMG_9728.jpeg

IMG_9736.jpeg

Technically Musselburgh Harbour is called Fisherrow... the old man used to cast a line off there occasionally. I used to wonder about him standing in the freezing cold catching nowt, he used to wonder about me standing in the freezing cold watching Meadowbank Thistle.. 

Falkirk 1-0 Queen of the South 

Main highlight from this was the macaroni pie. Was quite a poor game - Falkirk in total control, Queens never looked like laying a glove on them. Nicely taken goal from Aidan Nesbitt right at the start of the second half was all that really happened. Had planned to go to Forthbank after this, but the weather got in the way. 

1E135B49-1BE2-44D4-BA14-0007A8F9D692.jpeg

3FEB4924-F787-4268-8264-852ACC54AEF1.jpeg

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Technically Musselburgh Harbour is called Fisherrow... the old man used to cast a line off there occasionally. I used to wonder about him standing in the freezing cold catching nowt, he used to wonder about me standing in the freezing cold watching Meadowbank Thistle.. 

Aye, traditionally Fisherrow was the village to the west of the river, which is where the harbour is, but it all seems to be Musselburgh now. There used to be a Musselburgh & Fisherrow Co-op when I were a lad...

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Aye, traditionally Fisherrow was the village to the west of the river, which is where the harbour is, but it all seems to be Musselburgh now. There used to be a Musselburgh & Fisherrow Co-op when I were a lad...

All this Musselburgh chat had reminded me that the urban myth was that Justin Edinburgh used to be nicknamed “Musselburgh” (because that was just in…).

Which always used to annoy me as the joke would have worked better if he was called Joppa.

Anyway, I checked it just there, and Gary Lineker (who ought to know) says he was nicknamed Dalmahoy.

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC
Pedantry

FC Binar 2-0 Mansoa

Also: national team training session.

Another game from the top tier of Bissau-Guinean football.

This was an excellent watch. The skill level probably mid-table League 1, though I'm never good at judging such things.

Five yellow in the first half alone thanks to some hefty challenges, and the Mansoa manager was sent packing after a head's gone.

After an even first twenty Binar were the better, thanks to a McMillan/Lawless-esque right side combination who were a joy to watch.

Mansoa did have a free kick pushed onto the post, hit the post again with the rebound, then fired just wide with the second rebound, but showed little else.

Binar took the lead after about 75mins with a blasted free kick which made me assume the wall had been misplaced. They they scored a neat insurance a free minutes later.

---

Guinea-Bissau National team

I went to their last home training session before the Cup of Nations. Players are on a €1,000 win bonus and €2,000 bonus to get through the group stage. I've never actually watched a training session before, so it was quite interesting. The manager stood with his arms folded, while the two Portuguese coaches did all the work.

The training was at the national stadium which holds about 25,000. The scoreboard doesn't work properly and can't be fixed because, like the rest of the stadium, it was built by the Chinese and nobody can understand the instructons.

It's a decent stadium, but FIFA are on their backs to make improvements, like proper segregation and turnstiles. Also they need to tarmac the dirt roads on the approach.

There were probably about 1,500 in attendance, making constant noise. There was no alcohol on sale as there had been trouble at the previous training session.

I thought the team looked good and the players happy. They then boarded a flight to Mali and got gubbed 6-2.

IMG_20240105_190801.jpg

IMG_20240103_171933.jpg

Anyone on here know anything about getting tickets for a Liverpool game?

They’ve just drawn Norwich or Bristol Rovers in the fourth round of the FA Cup. My seven year old has been asking to go to a Liverpool game, and I’m guessing demand for this one will be a bit lower than usual.

Any tips, suggestions, or actual tickets very much appreciated!

Craigmark Burntonians 5-2 Glasgow Perthshire 

In what seems to be the grand tour of former Ayrshire Pit Villages we are in Dalmellington for Craigmark v Perthshire.

After struggling to find the entrance and the toilets and the pie hut being in a different postcode we finally found a space we fancied. Had heard good things about the pies here and can confirm that, while not quite Forres Mechanics, a solid steak pie. 

A first half dominated by a cat invading the park, amissed penalty and a goalkeeper error sees us level at the break. Perthshire get their own penalty early in the 2nd and take the lead but the hosts come roaring back with four more goals of their own to win 5-2 and get three points in a bid to escape relegation.

Worth a visit to see the Ayrshire Croatia. Slightly conflicted for me because Station Park is built on top of the old Dalmellington railway station. However, nice folk, nice tea and a nice setting.

20240113_143716.jpg

20240113_134745.jpg

20240113_145035.jpg

Whitehill Welfare 5 Arniston Rangers 1. One way traffic at Ferguson Park, following the traffic jam outside caused by the ultras marching along to the game.

Speaking of traffic, a plane flew overhead during the game and I’m reliably informed (by Flightradar) that the plane was flying from Tokyo to Paris. What a treat for those passengers to see a snatch of Ferguson Park, which must have enlivened their journey between those two little known provincial towns.

IMG_9797.jpeg

IMG_9779.jpeg

IMG_9790.jpeg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC
Sushi

Spartans 0-2 Stenhousemuir in SPFL 2. Impressive win for Stenhousemuir who are now 14 points clear of second placed Peterhead. They comfortably saw off a decent looking Spartans side. 

IMG_9443.jpeg

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

The delights of Forfar v Elgin today. A pretty atrocious game which Forfar just about deserved to win.  Attendance 551, nice pie and a wonderful sunset to make up for it being fucking baltic.

IMG_7946.jpeg

IMG_7941.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Spartans 0-2 Stenhousemuir in SPFL 2. Impressive win for Stenhousemuir who are now 14 points clear of second placed Peterhead. They comfortably saw off a decent looking Spartans side. 

IMG_9443.jpeg

Is that the same sky at both games?

On 08/01/2024 at 22:20, Adamski said:

Anyone on here know anything about getting tickets for a Liverpool game?

They’ve just drawn Norwich or Bristol Rovers in the fourth round of the FA Cup. My seven year old has been asking to go to a Liverpool game, and I’m guessing demand for this one will be a bit lower than usual.

Any tips, suggestions, or actual tickets very much appreciated!

Unfortunately it will still sell out instantly. Your best bet is to ask around and find someone who qualifies for a couple of tickets and isn’t going. 

You could buy yourself and son a membership but you’d need to be on it to pick up tickets in the all members sake. 

Hospitality is an option but not cheap. 

I’d help but afraid I’ve got a list as long as my arm of people who take my spares. 

Edited by Crow

Vale of Leithen 1 Nitten Star 6.

Vale's quest for that elusive point continues. Having seen Nitten v Whitehill last week and Vale v Whitehill earlier in the season, it was kind of logical to close the circle by travelling down for this. Last time I was here they took Rosyth to the 87th and 89th minutes before conceding.

Devastated to see the Traquair Arms closed until the 22nd for refurbishments. Looked forward to an excellent couple of pints from the Tempest brewery.

Vale had a decent first half and 2-0 at HT was probably harsh. A lovely move led to Dean Ballantyne's opener after 8 minutes then Sean Guiney netted from the spot on the half hour. However it was hard to see anything but another drubbing once Nitten weathered the early second half storm, including a miraculous save from 'keeper Aaron Hamilton,  before going 3 up.

IMG_8840.thumb.JPG.939169f0a8765b39b21d4884d54a6a65.JPG

IMG_8841.thumb.JPG.41bd41dbe8373914faa598c4d28a4469.JPG

IMG_8848.thumb.JPG.9d6509c90c81ff3d5225edd9c174810e.JPG

3 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Vale's quest for that elusive point continues. Having seen Nitten v Whitehill last week and Vale v Whitehill earlier in the season, it was kind of logical to close the circle by travelling down for this. Last time I was here they took Rosyth to the 87th and 89th minutes before conceding.

Devastated to see the Traquair Arms closed until the 22nd for refurbishments. Looked forward to an excellent couple of pints from the Tempest brewery.

Vale had a decent first half and 2-0 at HT was probably harsh. A lovely move led to Dean Ballantyne's opener after 8 minutes then Sean Guiney netted from the spot on the half hour. However it was hard to see anything but another drubbing once Nitten weathered the early second half storm, including a miraculous save from 'keeper Aaron Hamilton,  before going 3 up.

Last time I was in the Traquair Arms they didn't have any Traquair ales! 

It was always a good pre-match routine. Lunch in the Traquair Arms, a nose around the bookshop in the High Street, buy some sweets from Caldwell's and then watch City struggle against Vale... 

10 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

That’s a travesty about the Traquair being shut. I often walk along the Tweed from Peebles and back, with a wee pitstop in there for lunch (pie of the day is always a hit!). Were I to set off only to get there to find it shut, I’m not sure I would take it without a toddler-grade tantrum ensuing!

That said, I’ve heard good things about the new(ish) pub just down the road from the Traquiar: the Durty Brewing tap room.  (Terrible name.)

6th January 2024

Nairn St Ninian v Dyce

Showfield 

FT 3-3 (HT 2-2)

Took in first half of this match while in Nairn for Nairn County v Brechin City. Hadn't realised there was a match on, but went to have a look at the ground and saw players warming up. Spoke to someone and found out kick off was to be at 1.30pm. Had an excellent macaroni pie (pie stall supplied by local butcher) which was great value.

Dyce looked the better team initially but St Ninian scored against the run of play after poor defending. Dyce almost immediately got a deserved equaliser. Midway through the half man of the match Charlie Fonwban scored a cracking goal for his 2nd and Dyce equalised again just before half time.

Only about 10 min walk to Station Park if combining visits, but also worth attending in its own right.8

20240114_201541.jpg

20240114_201617.jpg

20240114_201716.jpg

20240114_201748.jpg

20240114_201812.jpg

20240114_201834.jpg

On 13/01/2024 at 22:37, Crow said:

Unfortunately it will still sell out instantly. Your best bet is to ask around and find someone who qualifies for a couple of tickets and isn’t going. 

You could buy yourself and son a membership but you’d need to be on it to pick up tickets in the all members sake. 

Hospitality is an option but not cheap. 

I’d help but afraid I’ve got a list as long as my arm of people who take my spares. 

Aye, the more I’ve looked into this, the more it seems pretty unlikely without paying through the nose.

Looks like it’s not to be but thanks for the info anyway.